The Student Room Group

Applying to do medicine after a degree

Hi guys!

I initially applied for medicine during the whole A-levels time, managed to get the grades just no offer :frown:.

I am now considering applying during my final year at university/once graduated. I know this isn't the standard application and have been made aware I could apply for GEM although s very competitive way to go.

So my story so far...

I did my A-levels, never did too well ended up with a selection of Bs and Cs in chemistry, biology, mathematics and AS level Physics. I knew I wasn't going to be able to read medicine and so applied to redo my A-levels. I ended up with AAAb at the end of my extra year of taking A-level exams.

I then reapplied to study medicine to no luck, got no offers mainly due to the fact that I never had many places to apply to. Therefore I thought I best do a degree that suited me.

I began a pharmacy degree and though I do enjoy it very much I have always felt that it wasn't exactly for me. Have done a lot of volunteering and did some actual regular work at a pharmacy to which I was never fully happy doing.

I'm in my third year now and felt that I best get some advice and help from you lovely people. :smile:

Just wanted to know if there's any places you would recommend me to read up from?

Although I know it's definitely what I want to do, there's still a slight worry that am I doing the right thing? Am I too old to go to university? Will I be able to cope with the pressure of university?

Any help would be appreciated and apologies for the long post!!! :smile:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done on the A levels!! I'm hoping to do the same at some point, time depending on funding availability. I don't see why you would have any problem at all applying, as long as you get at least a low 2.1. But higher the better.
Try and get some hands on health care or hospital experience, as I imagine that would help.
For me, the funding is the biggest concern, which you should keep an eye on if possible. We may end up having to go into undergraduate courses (presumably with entry requirements changed for graduates in line with current GEM, one would hope).
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
Well done on the A levels!! I'm hoping to do the same at some point, time depending on funding availability. I don't see why you would have any problem at all applying, as long as you get at least a low 2.1. But higher the better.
Try and get some hands on health care or hospital experience, as I imagine that would help.
For me, the funding is the biggest concern, which you should keep an eye on if possible. We may end up having to go into undergraduate courses (presumably with entry requirements changed for graduates in line with current GEM, one would hope).

Oh god I assumed we could get a loan from SFE? Hmm funding may definitely be a big problem! Genuinely didn't even consider it 😐.

I did hear that grades-wise the higher the better. I am hoping for a 2:1 upper classification but really trying for the mammoth task of getting a 1:1.

Hospital experience wise, I've had several positions as a dispenser working within both aseptics and general dispensing (one of the factors that pushed me to reconsider applying). Got a lot to think about now regarding funding thanks for letting me know though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Oh and thanks, a levels were tough especially when doing a full time job along with it!! Broke down when I got my results lol 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PharmingDoc
Oh god I assumed we could get a loan from SFE? Hmm funding may definitely be a big problem! Genuinely didn't even consider it ������.

I did hear that grades-wise the higher the better. I am hoping for a 2:1 upper classification but really trying for the mammoth task of getting a 1:1.

Hospital experience wise, I've had several positions as a dispenser working within both aseptics and general dispensing (one of the factors that pushed me to reconsider applying). Got a lot to think about now regarding funding thanks for letting me know though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know: as it currently stands for GEM there is funding, with you having to pay only a small amount for the course directly, with the rest funded by SFE.

If you do the undergraduate 5 year course, or with foundation (6 years), then there is no funding available for 2nd degree graduates. (forgot to note that the NHS do pay for your final year of study, as far as I know).

If they scrap GEM to be more in line with European law on 5 year medical degrees then it could be that they scrap funding as well, but maybe not - as they state that they are after different types of people into medicine.

The experience sounds great, as a dispenser. The chemistry is a weakness of mine, and thinking of going back and re-doing gcse exams and taking an A level before I start medicine (I'm in no rush, I consider under 30 as young in today's age).
Best of luck on your degree classification!
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh and thanks, a levels were tough especially when doing a full time job along with it!! Broke down when I got my results lol ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can imagine that is super stressful, did really well there!
Doing part time MSc alongside volunteering and part time job, and the juggling is absolutely killing me! haha.
Reply 6
AFAIK funding has yet to be announced for 2016 entry GEM.
In any case, current funding for 2015 entry still requires a significant input from one's own finances. Best case scenario this will be extended for 2016 entry, worst case scenario it all gets scrapped, graduates have to use the traditional A100 course and face paying £36,000 in fees without financial support.
As far as I know: as it currently stands for GEM there is funding, with you having to pay only a small amount for the course directly, with the rest funded by SFE.

If you do the undergraduate 5 year course, or with foundation (6 years), then there is no funding available for 2nd degree graduates. (forgot to note that the NHS do pay for your final year of study, as far as I know).

For GEM in 1st year you pay £3375, SFE pays the rest, for the remainder of the course the NHS pays the £3375, and again SFE pays the rest. Plus a maintenance loan.

If you are a graduate on a 5 year you cannot get a tuition fee loan, but you can still get a maintenance loan from SFE. This can be used to pay part of your tuition, but is it financially more difficult then GEM.
Original post by theresheglows
For GEM in 1st year you pay £3375, SFE pays the rest, for the remainder of the course the NHS pays the £3375, and again SFE pays the rest. Plus a maintenance loan.

If you are a graduate on a 5 year you cannot get a tuition fee loan, but you can still get a maintenance loan from SFE. This can be used to pay part of your tuition, but is it financially more difficult then GEM.

Wasn't sure on specific numbers.
How much maintenance loan can you currently get on the 5 year course? Something I forgot about!
Original post by Zorg
In any case, current funding for 2015 entry still requires a significant input from one's own finances. Best case scenario this will be extended for 2016 entry, worst case scenario it all gets scrapped, graduates have to use the traditional A100 course and face paying £36,000 in fees without financial support.

It would really surprise me if they went to the extreme and scrapped all financial support though! At least, that is what I tell myself :tongue:
Wasn't sure on specific numbers.
How much maintenance loan can you currently get on the 5 year course? Something I forgot about!

Depends on your circumstances - where you live & your/your parents income; same as for any other undergrad - outside London £5750, in London £8009 if you are living away from home.
Original post by theresheglows
Depends on your circumstances - where you live & your/your parents income; same as for any other undergrad - outside London £5750, in London £8009 if you are living away from home.

Ah that's not much money really. But I suppose it helps a little (or as Tesco says, 'every little helps'). Not sure why it is dependent on parental income when people are of 'mature' age, though.
Reply 12
Ah that's not much money really. But I suppose it helps a little (or as Tesco says, 'every little helps'). Not sure why it is dependent on parental income when people are of 'mature' age, though.

If you are 25 or over, SFE class you as an independent adult; you get the maximum. Otherwise your parents are expected to contribute.

Re. scrapping financial support for GEM. It's not really scrapping if it isn't there in the first place.
Original post by Zorg
If you are 25 or over, SFE class you as an independent adult; you get the maximum. Otherwise your parents are expected to contribute.

Re. scrapping financial support for GEM. It's not really scrapping if it isn't there in the first place.

Sweet, I'll be getting the max then, as on a 2 year course atm (then to raise the money D= )
I can't tell if you're joking about a lack of current financial support or... :tongue: Don't think it's too bad currently as it stands.

If they scrap GEM to be more in line with European law on 5 year medical degrees then it could be that they scrap funding as well, but maybe not - as they state that they are after different types of people into medicine.

The experience sounds great, as a dispenser. The chemistry is a weakness of mine, and thinking of going back and re-doing gcse exams and taking an A level before I start medicine (I'm in no rush, I consider under 30 as young in today's age).
Best of luck on your degree classification!

Here's hoping that they do not scrap GEM, although from the looks of it a few universities have stopped offering GEM so I've been told anyway :/. Will need to get my funding sorted out as a priority then

Yeah that's a great idea, A-level chemistry has been invaluable in my degree, really helps with the building blocks. From what I recall, the AQA exam board is great, the books are tailored towards the exams and help building a great understanding of the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can imagine that is super stressful, did really well there!
Doing part time MSc alongside volunteering and part time job, and the juggling is absolutely killing me! haha.

Oh I can imagine MSc are no joke, quite intensive as well as going on with volunteering! I guess it helps in the long run, you'll be more prepared for the intensity of a full medical degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zorg

I take it that it wouldn't be a lump sum payable at the start of the degree? Split over 5 years?

Using funding from a part time job during weekends and full time during summer, it seems to all add up. (I better go double check my calculations lol) Either way it's going to be expensive, and very tight on money....no treat for 5 years doesn't seem pleasant lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I can imagine MSc are no joke, quite intensive as well as going on with volunteering! I guess it helps in the long run, you'll be more prepared for the intensity of a full medical degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm only doing it to better prepare myself really :smile:
I prefer to start later and have no doubt I will be able to cope and wont mess too much up, than to have an extra 5 years in the field and risk a failed application.
Getting used to the juggling, aye :tongue:

It's really not enough money to live on adequately to be honest! Never really understood why they assume your parents would help with the costs considering I know a few people who got married around 22-23 age lol... But then again, with my dealings with SFE, I've come to realise that nothing normally makes sense :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's really not enough money to live on adequately to be honest! Never really understood why they assume your parents would help with the costs considering I know a few people who got married around 22-23 age lol... But then again, with my dealings with SFE, I've come to realise that nothing normally makes sense :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know :frown:
I suppose it would probably pay for a good bit of food, entertainment and hobbies, travel, as well as equipment for the 4/5 years.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending