The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Nobody supports his killing, at all. But we all agree he was a foul human-being

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
They're right. Muslims should stop hiding behind their ****ing Qurans and learn to think for themselves. Everything they do is literally "oh but the Koran says this"

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about the police officer who died? He just so happened to be a muslim yet they still gunned him down
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Charlie Hebdo was a disgusting human being, to put it mildly, but still I don't support the killing of another just because they offended you. My issue with this entire situation is that the media are purporting this as something intrinsic in islamic culture; that is, that Muslims think it's acceptable to respond in such a way to mockery. Honestly, I disagree with that idea completely. I think we should categorize and understand the behaviour and motivation of the gunmen as exactly what it is, a horrible, irrational but completely understandable psychological (and human) response. When you mock something that holds sentimental value to someone, they become angry, and sadly some of them become violent. That sentimentality isn't restricted to religion nevermind exclusively to Islam or Muslims.

I dunno, just my 2p.

I'm not sure if the media is doing such a thing. BBC News in particular asked a number of Muslims, and they all condemned the attacks.

Also, I highly doubt the main motivation for the attacks was offensive cartoons. They were not "lone-wolfs", but most likely affiliated to some terrorist organisation seeking to recruit the more isolated Muslims who are leaning towards extremism. These attacks would increase Islamophobia, separate the Muslims from the non-Muslims in the West, causing more Muslims to feel isolated and turn to extremism.

I expect to see a rise in "lone-wolf" attacks in the future.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Freudian slip? :tongue: I'm kidding of course.

While I agree with you that those cartoons are unnecessarily offensive, I think violence should never be considered an acceptable response to things like this.

I don't buy the newspapers or magazines, nor am I planning on buying them in the future. But I don't see why we need to ban satire and dark humour completely. AFAIK, we're allowed to joke about Hitler and Holocaust, even if some may find that kind of thing offensive.

Oopsy, someone pointed that out on fb too. :tongue:

I've never been much for taking the mick of massacres tbh, that part of me won't change. People doing something like that lose my support and sympathy in literally a second. Seeing as I'm a muslim too, taking the mick of my people dying like that doesn't suit well - It's one thing that can pretty much guarantee me hating someone.

Anyway, we disagree I guess :yy:
(edited 9 years ago)
as soon as i heard about the atrocity at the Charlie Hebdo office i ordered a book of theirs off Amazon. i am also looking forward to reading M. Houellebecq's new novel.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

i also enjoy reading Viz, which is very even handed in insulting Christians and Moslems and anyone else they can find.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Oopsy, someone pointed that out on fb too. :tongue:

I've never been much for taking the mick of massacres tbh, that part of me won't change. People doing something like that lose my support and sympathy in literally a second. Seeing as I'm a muslim too, taking the mick of my people dying like that doesn't suit well - It's one thing that can pretty much guarantee me hating someone.

Anyway, we disagree I guess :yy:

I understand that of course. I feel the same way when someone mocks the deaths of Indians in some religious or political context, but many people are into that kind of comedy so what can we do? :dontknow:
You can gauge how ill-informed the people responding to this are because they're referring to Charlie Hebdo as a person. Sigh.

Je suis Charlie; nous sommes tous Charlie.
Sorry but you do not have the right not to be offended.

Conversely, I do despise these silly self masturbatory twitter campaigns that pop up after every catastrophe.
Original post by amenahussein
If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean defending?
The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is s*** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.

Spoiler

I don't know about the first cartoon, but second cartoon is only appears racist when taken out of context. It's satire.
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Charlie Hebdo was a disgusting human being, to put it mildly

I agree, Charlie's actions are completely inhuman! It's almost as if he's not even a human at all! Oh wait...
I think at the end of the day most people's opinion on the Charlie hebdo attack is summarized by the quote "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Original post by Gaiaphage
Do you mean defending?

Yes, sorry. Typo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
You can gauge how ill-informed the people responding to this are because they're referring to Charlie Hebdo as a person. Sigh.

Je suis Charlie; nous sommes tous Charlie.

I personally don't want Charlie Hebdo used as a vessel to represent my right to free speech so no, we are not all Charlie.
If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if you defend the Qur'an you are also, by your logic, defending homophobia, sexism and bigotry against non-believers. Do you see how subjective and relative offence is?
Original post by Asurat
I personally don't want Charlie Hebdo used as a vessel to represent my right to free speech so no, we are not all Charlie.

We are all Charlie in that we are all people who should have the right to draw or say things which subjectively offend others.
If Charlie hebdo's sketches had been written by a fat EDL supporter I a) don't think people would be surprised and b) don't think they would have as much support.

Having said that, I believe we need the right to be able to offend people.
Original post by Asklepios
They're right. Muslims should stop hiding behind their ****ing Qurans and learn to think for themselves. Everything they do is literally "oh but the Koran says this"

Posted from TSR Mobile

On one hand, you're absolutely correct. On the other hand, if you want people on your side, be respectful. Be polite. Be an English Gentleman.
Google Rabaa massacre and then come back to post.

I think you've missed the point: the cartoonists are pointing out that religion will not save people.
Yes, sorry. Typo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, f and p are nowhere near eachother on the keyboard and you did it twice in one sentence :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending