The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Probably Middleton Hall :smile:

There are some ridiculous rooms in there I think (I've not actually spent any time in one, just showed a few people to them!)

Most likely. Haha- my room must have been one of those ridiculous rooms then :biggrin:. It was more than two times bigger than the other rooms in the corridor. Do all grade A rooms have an ensuite and a large amount of space (+ any other specific feature)?
Original post by TheHumbleBanana
At the beginning of the year I was pretty confident I would get at least 3 As but now, after getting an offer, I'm terrified that I won't get them and now I'm really doubting myself.

Anyone else feel like that?

Congrats to everyone though!

I do! I don't even need to do overly well in my A2 exams to finish on A's, but panic I might fluff one exam and blow it!/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EvasiveRose
Most likely. Haha- my room must have been one of those ridiculous rooms then :biggrin:. It was more than two times bigger than the other rooms in the corridor. Do all grade A rooms have an ensuite and a large amount of space (+ any other specific feature)?

The St John's room grading system makes very little sense... we actually have two separate grading systems, and have rather a lot of grades: D, C-, C, C+, B-, B, A-, A, A+, A++ with very little definite reasoning for why any given room counts as being a particular grade.

There are some A- rooms that don't have an ensuite. The room I'm typing from now is an A and has a toilet/sink ensuite, but no shower. I imagine pretty much all A grade rooms would have a separate bedroom, as well as the main room (or otherwise just be really really massive). The big rooms are probably a bit less lonely when you've moved your stuff in!
Reply 343
Original post by michelle37
Hi! I've got an offer for PPL too, Psych and Ling, which two are your subjects? :biggrin:

Same two as you! What college is your offer for?
Original post by KyleBoardman
Was a bit bummed to find out that Worcester doesn't have wifi in its rooms whilst I was at interview - I also didn't get 4G much inside the college either. Anyone have advice on this situation especially seeing as my Mac doesn't have an Ethernet port :frown:

Don't worry, there are ways around this :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-RJ45-Network-Adaptor-Converter/dp/B003Q85EEA/
(As a curious St John's student...) where were you placed during interviews?

Going to hijack this, I stayed at St Johns for interviews too. Was in the Tommy something or other towers, the very first one. Seemed like it was just me there, no one else in the tower! Pretty cool being able to wake up and not having a queue for the shower :tongue:
Original post by aasvogel
I do! I don't even need to do overly well in my A2 exams to finish on A's, but panic I might fluff one exam and blow it!/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I know how you feel. Ugh, I just want to sit the exams now and it get it all over with and out the way :P
The St John's room grading system makes very little sense... we actually have two separate grading systems, and have rather a lot of grades: D, C-, C, C+, B-, B, A-, A, A+, A++ with very little definite reasoning for why any given room counts as being a particular grade.

There are some A- rooms that don't have an ensuite. The room I'm typing from now is an A and has a toilet/sink ensuite, but no shower. I imagine pretty much all A grade rooms would have a separate bedroom, as well as the main room (or otherwise just be really really massive). The big rooms are probably a bit less lonely when you've moved your stuff in!

Oh! I think I'll fuss myself with all this information if I get the grades required

Wow. Your room creates a lovely image in my mind :biggrin: Small but comfy

I don't remember the name of the building :colondollar:. It was near the car park opposite the Larkin and Prestwich rooms, that's as far as my great descriptive skills go :tongue:. Do you know what building I'm on about?

It was, nice and cosy! Cold though...
I'm still in a state of shock that that might be where I end up living for a year!
Oh! I think I'll fuss myself with all this information if I get the grades required

There's little need to understand it until at least February/March of your first year :biggrin:

(since you don't get a choice of room in first year, and that's when you think about where to live in second year)
At the beginning of the year I was pretty confident I would get at least 3 As but now, after getting an offer, I'm terrified that I won't get them and now I'm really doubting myself.

Feel the exact same, going to work as hard as possible now though
There's little need to understand it until at least February/March of your first year :biggrin:

(since you don't get a choice of room in first year, and that's when you think about where to live in second year)

Completely forgot that we get rooms randomly allocated in the first year :colondollar:
What subject(s) are you studying at St Johns?
Subject: Physics & Philosophy
College: Merton
Offer: A*AA
How I Feel: absolutely ecstatic, even if I got an offer I thought I'd lose out on getting the philosophy or get reallocated to a different college. Doesn't quite feel real to get everything I applied for, I can't wait for October now!!

Any other physics and philosophers or mertonians out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353
Original post by un_willing
Anyone doing an arts subject at Lincoln been successful? (Esp. linguists?)

Yes - conditional offer for Spanish at Lincoln
Reply 354

I feel EXACTLY the same... I'm taking it as a good thing though, as it means I won't get complacent with my work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 355
Original post by emilhay6
Oh right, I didn't know that! I know they have loads of accommodation, which is pretty great because we can pretty much stay there for 3 years if we want :biggrin: I'm from Derbyshire, about half an hour from Derby so I don't know much about Oxford at all, I've only been twice!

I'm half an hour from Derby too - which part of Derbyshire are you from?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completely forgot that we get rooms randomly allocated in the first year :colondollar:
What subject(s) are you studying at St Johns?

I'd be fairly impressed if you knew that :tongue:

Computer Science and Philosophy
I'd be fairly impressed if you knew that :tongue:

Computer Science and Philosophy

Why did I think you were studying Music?!
Original post by Chlorophile
Why did I think you were studying Music?!

I can think of at least two reasons...
I can think of at least two reasons...

I think I was mixing you up with the lonely goatherd!