The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

We started with a welcome talk, basic overview of course and chance to ask questions. They also introduced us to all of the staff etc. Maths assessment was basic GCSE stuff, English was an essay on 'What constitutes professionalism in the NHS', we were told to include the 6Cs. This was then carried onto our group interview followed by our individual one which lasted ten minutes. Inbetween we had a Q&A with a student nurse who ate lunch with us. No coffee turned up at the start of the day so we all got £2 drink vouchers.
The uni is low in the league tables so I had very low expectations and they were exceeded. It was so friendly and welcoming, very modern and lovely people (although some of the other non-nursing students let it down)!
It would be my first choice if wasn't so far away. I live in Nottingham and DMU is my first choice, I also went to Derby and hated it and have Keele this Thursday. Will have to see what happens!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there,

I've applied to South Bank, Kings, Nottingham, York and Bucks New for children's nursing.
I have 3 interviews coming up (South Bank, Kings and Bucks).

How are your applications going? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emmilly11
We started with a welcome talk, basic overview of course and chance to ask questions. They also introduced us to all of the staff etc. Maths assessment was basic GCSE stuff, English was an essay on 'What constitutes professionalism in the NHS', we were told to include the 6Cs. This was then carried onto our group interview followed by our individual one which lasted ten minutes. Inbetween we had a Q&A with a student nurse who ate lunch with us. No coffee turned up at the start of the day so we all got £2 drink vouchers.
The uni is low in the league tables so I had very low expectations and they were exceeded. It was so friendly and welcoming, very modern and lovely people (although some of the other non-nursing students let it down)!
It would be my first choice if wasn't so far away. I live in Nottingham and DMU is my first choice, I also went to Derby and hated it and have Keele this Thursday. Will have to see what happens!

Having read that, I feel more at ease, thank you! :biggrin: Aahahah I'm not really a coffee fan so I wouldn't have minded :P. Nice of them to provide the vouchers though! Ohhh did you apply for Nottingham too then? My fingers are sort of crossed for King's or City otherwise Anglia would have been one of my top. I wish you all the best for Keele and your other choices.
Original post by EloiseN9
Hi there,

I've applied to South Bank, Kings, Nottingham, York and Bucks New for children's nursing.
I have 3 interviews coming up (South Bank, Kings and Bucks).

How are your applications going? :smile:

Hii :smile: I have assessments for King's and South Bank next week.
Original post by DianaOj
Having read that, I feel more at ease, thank you! :biggrin: Aahahah I'm not really a coffee fan so I wouldn't have minded :P. Nice of them to provide the vouchers though! Ohhh did you apply for Nottingham too then? My fingers are sort of crossed for King's or City otherwise Anglia would have been one of my top. I wish you all the best for Keele and your other choices.

No, the entry requirements for Nottingham are BBB and I'm expected BCC. De Montfort is BBC so that's my aspirational!
Aw good luck and thank you! Anglia Ruskin is lovely though :biggrin:
Hi guys!! I've had an interview at edge hill today. If you have any questions happy to answer them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bagel_fa
Hi guys!! I've had an interview at edge hill today. If you have any questions happy to answer them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, hope it went okay. I haven't applied there but am just wondering what the whole day was like and how were the Maths and English tests?
Reply 987
Original post by emmilly11
I loved Anglia Ruskin! I got my offer two days after

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you have your interview at Anglia Ruskin? :smile: I had my interview on the 17th december but still haven't heard back :frown:
Reply 988
Has anyone had an interview at Kingston uni or have one coming up? :smile:
Original post by monicanicole
Hey, hope it went okay. I haven't applied there but am just wondering what the whole day was like and how were the Maths and English tests?

It was good. By the time everyone finished signing in it was 9:30 and we started the maths paper which was 10 mins and the English paper which was 30. It was very hard just basic questions. And English was picking the wrong spellings and correcting them along with comprehension.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, I applied for Adult nursing at Bournemouth back in November, I sent off my second reference just before Christmas... Any idea how long it is to hear back after sending it in? I'm torn between here and Oxford Brookes (who have just given me an offer... I also have one from UWE) so I'm definitely becoming more impatient as it's all seeming very real at the moment haha.
Original post by cherrytrueman95
Hi everyone, I applied for Adult nursing at Bournemouth back in November, I sent off my second reference just before Christmas... Any idea how long it is to hear back after sending it in? I'm torn between here and Oxford Brookes (who have just given me an offer... I also have one from UWE) so I'm definitely becoming more impatient as it's all seeming very real at the moment haha.

I'm in the same situation as you with Bournemouth. I submitted my second reference the same time and have heard nothing since. I know they haven't contacted my reference either. Eek :frown:
Original post by BellaPembers
I'm in the same situation as you with Bournemouth. I submitted my second reference the same time and have heard nothing since. I know they haven't contacted my reference either. Eek :frown:

This whole UCAS thing has definitely brought out the worst in me, I've no fingernails left XD I'm almost tempted to do my firm and insurance soon, but I really want to consider Bournemouth more, yet all the uncertainty is killing me!!!!! I'm still waiting to hear back from Kings College London too, with an interview on Saturday for Southampton... :/

Where else have you applied to?
Original post by Bagel_fa
It was good. By the time everyone finished signing in it was 9:30 and we started the maths paper which was 10 mins and the English paper which was 30. It was very hard just basic questions. And English was picking the wrong spellings and correcting them along with comprehension.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay that doesn't sound too bad. Thanx 😀 I feel a bit better about my upcoming interview.
Original post by DianaOj
Hii :smile: I have assessments for King's and South Bank next week.

Ahh good luck for them! I'm sure you'll be fine.

I found the maths test for King's harder than I thought but I managed to do it.
South bank are much easier - basic KS3 maths questions. Plus you have 30 mins for the maths and literacy at LSBU, whereas at King's it felt rushed (20 mins for 15 questions with the pass mark 13/15)
Ahh good luck for them! I'm sure you'll be fine.

I found the maths test for King's harder than I thought but I managed to do it.
South bank are much easier - basic KS3 maths questions. Plus you have 30 mins for the maths and literacy at LSBU, whereas at King's it felt rushed (20 mins for 15 questions with the pass mark 13/15)

Hey, thanks for the response! Oh really? I was quite confident about the maths assessment at King's judging by the example questions they had on their website. But I have all my fingers double crossed now!:smile: I've been using the snap website to practice for the maths questions. I just have to do it against the clock now, so hopefully that should help. How did you find the english assessment for both universities? And best of luck for the other interviews/assessments! :biggrin:
I did quite a lot of sample papers from other universities (including LSBU) and used SN@P so you're deffo doing the right thing! I think it was harder because the layout of the maths test for King's was different to what I had seen on sample papers.

English for KCL was alright. I was given an example of a child's experience at hospital and had to answer 5 (I think) questions based on the text. There was an essay question included which was about your own opinion - mine was something like 'Why have we included a child's experience in your assessment?'
For LSBU, the layout was identical to their sample paper!

Thank you!

Where else have you applied to?

Oh okay I see. Oh that's a lovely question! I wish I had that :P Congrats on getting through it though! :biggrin: How long did you have to wait for a response from KCL? I applied to City, West London and Anglia Ruskin as well - all for Adult nursing. It's a waiting game for City and West London (I have attended the assessment session), and ARU's is two weeks from now including the interview if all goes well! >.< Which are your top two so far?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DianaOj
Oh okay I see. Oh that's a lovely question! I wish I had that :P Congrats on getting through it though! :biggrin: How long did you have to wait for a response from KCL? I applied to City, West London and Anglia Ruskin as well - all for Adult nursing. It's a waiting game for City and West London (I have attended the assessment session), and ARU's is two weeks from now including the interview if all goes well! >.< Which are your top two so far?

I liked the question too! after the admissions test I was told 2 weeks after (they said they would try to give everyone a response within 10 days, but I suppose there were so many assessments to mark, it took longer).

I have an 'assessment day' at Bucks in a few weeks so I was wondering what your previous ones were like?

King's is my top but I'm not sure about my second; I'm still waiting to hear back from Nottingham and York, which are two of the top faculties for nursing!
I liked the question too! ������ after the admissions test I was told 2 weeks after (they said they would try to give everyone a response within 10 days, but I suppose there were so many assessments to mark, it took longer).

I have an 'assessment day' at Bucks in a few weeks so I was wondering what your previous ones were like?

King's is my top but I'm not sure about my second; I'm still waiting to hear back from Nottingham and York, which are two of the top faculties for nursing!

Aahahahaha being one of the few members of my family who keeps to any sort of deadline, I'm pretty much immune to late responses :P Oh best of luck at Bucks.

City wasn't so bad. The maths test was about 45 minutes. It was multiple choice and we were allowed a calculator. The questions were mainly KS3 stuff. The english assessment was also 45 minutes and partly multiple choice. For the first part we had to choose a word to complete the sentences (I had on of those bizzare moments where non of the choices given for about three questions sounded right to me at all! >.<). The second part was also multiple choice but we had to read an article and the questions were based on that. The final part was an essay question 'Why have you decided to study this course'. Then we were given an aptitude test which lasted 40 minutes I think. There were four scenarios given and we had to write short paragraphs on what our most likely actions would be. All in all it wasn't so bad, and it was quite relaxed.

West London was an even more comfortable experience! The head of admissions (all staff actually) was really nice and friendly, trying to put us at ease prior our assessments which was lovely :smile: . For the english we were given an article via email and all we had to do was summarise what we read, without any notes. The maths again was not to difficult if you use the snap website. Calculators were used/given and we had 30 minutes but most finished before that. The only down said I would say was the time constraints for the english! 20 minutes to sum up an 11 paragraph article!

I might be being daft (King's is one of my choices after all! :colondollar:) but I have no idea what my first choice is, I would just love to have offers from all of them then I can rack my brain over which one to pick.

I so wish I applied for Nottingham! I really liked the university... but I'm such a Londoner I don't want to move to far out >.<'
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Beni24
Has anyone had an interview at Kingston uni or have one coming up? :smile:

I'm there on Friday 23rd January.......and also have surrey the day before!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending