The Student Room Group

Done a Computer Science Degree 10 yrs ago .. worthless now?

Hey guys

Dont know if this is the right section but I really want to get into the IT field at the ripe old age of 31.

Now I did my degree nearly 10 yrs ago and straight after uni decided to go into the family business which in hindsight was a terrible mistake as I didn't get to develop myself as an individual.

Long story short, we recently leased the business and now been applying for junior roles in any sort of IT related role (8 months) with zero feedback.

Can anyone advise me so I can get my foot in the door as I feel my age is a big contributing factor into not getting a job.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by karyog
Hey guys

Dont know if this is the right section but I really want to get into the IT field at the ripe old age of 31.

Now I did my degree nearly 10 yrs ago and straight after uni decided to go into the family business which in hindsight was a terrible mistake as I didn't get to develop myself as an individual.

Long story short, we recently leased the business and now been applying for junior roles in any sort of IT related role (8 months) with zero feedback.

Can anyone advise me so I can get my foot in the door as I feel my age is a big contributing factor into not getting a job.

Thanks in advance.

Ehh.. Given your degree is very old most places would decline you since you're not up to date with technology.. Well your degree isn't

As they say.. Start from the bottom and make your way up.

Go for some professional industry qualifications such as the A+ then apply for a help desk job and then everything will fall into place.. Keep progressing yourself.. Get more qualifications and keep racking in experience? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending