The Student Room Group

Any other musicians on tsr?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wanderer1029
I can make instrumentals on a Korg micro station I bought, never played an instrument before I bought the microstation less than a year ago but will definitely learn how to play multiple instruments in the years to come. I started writing and singing songs recently, I have songs all over the place on my phone, computer and on paper of all genres, I love it. I have posted a couple of songs on youtube, I go by the name Skag.
Check out my first song on youtube below if you want.

Quite good.

I think your voice needs a bit more character though but the backing track in general is very good. Very smooth.
Electric guitar and bass, played guitar for around 5 years, bass around 3. I'm trying to start writing my own stuff but haven't been able to do it yet.
Original post by __Adam__
Electric guitar and bass, played guitar for around 5 years, bass around 3. I'm trying to start writing my own stuff but haven't been able to do it yet.

What genre of music are you looking to write?
I play guitar, piano, drums, bass and trumpet, but predominantly stick to acoustic guitar which I compose for. Have been playing for nearly 11 years and play some version of contemporary classical with the use of a loop pedal which allows me to open more avenues as I'm a solo musician. Check me out! -www.youtube.com/acousticmilan

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I predominately play Guitar, both Acoustic and Electric, but I also play Bass, Drums, Piano and Ukulele to a decent-ish standard. I also write and record my own music; I'm halfway through recording my own EP, which I'm producing by myself with help from a family friend.

I also play guitar in a few bands, some more active than others.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PetrosAC
What genre of music are you looking to write?

Metal, I'm into Metallica and Dream Theatre at the minute so something along those lines. I am in a band which has just started to write music, but I like more progressive stuff than they do so I want to write music by myself too. Mainly so I can play more interesting bass lines.
Metal, I'm into Metallica and Dream Theatre at the minute so something along those lines. I am in a band which has just started to write music, but I like more progressive stuff than they do so I want to write music by myself too. Mainly so I can play more interesting bass lines.

Fair enough. Not that I don't like metal, but I'm generally more into Rock and Punk. I've been listening to a lot of Muse lately. I like the fact that although it's pretty progressive as commercial rock goes, it's still pretty easy to listen to.
Fair enough. Not that I don't like metal, but I'm generally more into Rock and Punk. I've been listening to a lot of Muse lately. I like the fact that although it's pretty progressive as commercial rock goes, it's still pretty easy to listen to.

I've heard some of Muse's stuff and like what I've heard so far, they've got a good bassist.
I've heard some of Muse's stuff and like what I've heard so far, they've got a good bassist.

Yeah, their bassist is wicked. The intro to 'Hysteria' is awesome. I played on Guitar for one of my GCSE performances

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a rcm thread does anyone know? Ive looked but haven't had much luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
I do play trombone, i started playing it exactly after finishing my secondary level and i play it in a band.
I play piano since I was like 7, and I've started learning guitar by myself without classes or a teacher.. Does anyone here do ABRSM exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I play the violin. Started 10 years ago and play in 3 orchestras. I only really play classical music.
I'm not a musician, but I'm a producer if that counts haha? Here's something I finished yesterday and literally just put on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/skratchmyitch/busy-day-at-reading-railway-station
I play electric guitar. Currently using a crappy Ibanez Ergodyne till I can afford something less crap. Favourite musicians,
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Suede, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Specials, Sterophonics, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie...
Anyone got any tips on how to hammer on without blunting the string? It's killing me right now.
Original post by Dani California
I play electric guitar. Currently using a crappy Ibanez Ergodyne till I can afford something less crap. Favourite musicians,
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Suede, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Specials, Sterophonics, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie...
Anyone got any tips on how to hammer on without blunting the string? It's killing me right now.

By blunting do you mean dampening? Like, it becomes quieter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
By blunting do you mean dampening? Like, it becomes quieter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, and if I don't press hard enough it cuts the sounds all together. I can usually do it, just this one fiddly bit where you've got one beat to pick, hammer on, pull off really quick. Can't seem to do it fast enough...
You should carry on the punk thing! Its not hard to play Punk on guitar either :P Unless you already had enough guitarists

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dani California
Yeah, and if I don't press hard enough it cuts the sounds all together. I can usually do it, just this one fiddly bit where you've got one beat to pick, hammer on, pull off really quick. Can't seem to do it fast enough...

When I first tried to learn Californication, I struggled with a bit in the verse. My advice I guess is just work on it, and make sure you press hard. When you pull off again, bend it slightly just as you release it so the string vibrates more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just find Punk really fun to play/listen to. I'm not a massive fan of Grunge myself. I see it as Punk minus the fun :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest