The Student Room Group

Any other musicians on tsr?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PetrosAC
When I first tried to learn Californication, I struggled with a bit in the verse. My advice I guess is just work on it, and make sure you press hard. When you pull off again, bend it slightly just as you release it so the string vibrates more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks...but how did you know it was Californication? :eyeball:
Original post by Dani California
Thanks...but how did you know it was Californication? :eyeball:

1) Your name is Dani California and you said you're a Chilli Peppers fan.
2) I was just playing it 5 minutes ago on my guitar and put two and two together :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Your name is Dani California and you said you're a Chilli Peppers fan.
2) I was just playing it 5 minutes ago on my guitar and put two and two together :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, nice coincidence. Damn Flea and his inhuman playing.
Haha, nice coincidence. Damn Flea and his inhuman playing.

Hahaha, ikr! Don't beat yourself up about it though, it took me awhile to get :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of punk bands? My favourite band is Rise Against, but they've somewhat softened over the year.

I love Black Flag too. They're probably my favourite Hardcore Punk band.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha, ikr! Don't beat yourself up about it though, it took me awhile to get :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't why this is getting me so much, every time I do it, it throws the timing for everything else. Tried to play Snow the other day as well, talk about running before you can walk. :lol:
Drummer. Play at church. Been playing years now.
Starting to learn the guitar, keys and bass.
I wanna learn the sax
Band of the year: Snarky Puppy (I just bought their album: We Like It Here)
I don't why this is getting me so much, every time I do it, it throws the timing for everything else. Tried to play Snow the other day as well, talk about running before you can walk. :lol:

I tried to learn Snow. I looked at the tab and just went "nah. I'll save that for later" :P Just remember to bend the string slightly as you pull off. You get a louder/cleaner sound.

Are you playing on an Acoustic or Electric?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tried to learn Snow. I looked at the tab and just went "nah. I'll save that for later" :P Just remember to bend the string slightly as you pull off. You get a louder/cleaner sound.

Are you playing on an Acoustic or Electric?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, did you same thing, got about 6 notes in before going nope. :rolleyes: Playing an electric.
I don't like the idea of band leaders, but I generally am the creative, passionate one in my bands. I've played in quite a few bands. At the moment I play Lead in a Punk Band and both Lead and Rhythm (we rotate) in a Rock trio, whilst doing loads of Solo work. I produce all the stuff I do too.

I generally prefer to write new stuff, but I've done the odd cover too, but only when everyone agrees with it.

Mind you, I'm only 16 so I've hardly played any gigs or anything yet. Most places are 18+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, did you same thing, got about 6 notes in before going nope. :rolleyes: Playing an electric.

Haha, yup :P And that's good, it's harder on an acoustic. Strings tend to be more stiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sing, and I've had singing lessons since about 8 years old. Progress was slow because I only had a little voice.

I sing in a school band - lots of pop and funk. I sing in the school choir, and I sing solo. When I sing solo I prefer to sing in a classical style. Me and a couple of other friends want to go out busking too but haven't sorted anything. We work as a trio with one girl on keys.

I don't know if this classes me as a musician, because I know singing isn't technically playing an instrument.

I've dabbled with piano and want to get better!
Haha, yup :P And that's good, it's harder on an acoustic. Strings tend to be more stiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tried to play a classical Spanish guitar once, it was hilarious, my hands literally were not big enough to play the chords. And I can't fret anything of an acoustic, nylon strings hurt. :rolleyes: Will it help hammering on if I lower the action?
Tried to play a classical Spanish guitar once, it was hilarious, my hands literally were not big enough to play the chords. And I can't fret anything of an acoustic, nylon strings hurt. :rolleyes: Will it help hammering on if I lower the action?

It'll help a whole lot! I had a really bad Les Paul copy and the action was ridiculous. I then saved up for an Epiphone which is so much better :P

It's really hard to fret on Classical Guitars, especially high up (in terms of pitch)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sloe&AppleJelly
I sing, and I've had singing lessons since about 8 years old. Progress was slow because I only had a little voice.

I sing in a school band - lots of pop and funk. I sing in the school choir, and I sing solo. When I sing solo I prefer to sing in a classical style. Me and a couple of other friends want to go out busking too but haven't sorted anything. We work as a trio with one girl on keys.

I don't know if this classes me as a musician, because I know singing isn't technically playing an instrument.

I've dabbled with piano and want to get better!

You're definitely still a musician :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It'll help a whole lot! I had a really bad Les Paul copy and the action was ridiculous. I then saved up for an Epiphone which is so much better :P

It's really hard to fret on Classical Guitars, especially high up (in terms of pitch)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The day I can afford an actual Les Paul is the day I accept the economy is fixed. :lol: Right, going to lower the action, thanks for the advice!
The day I can afford an actual Les Paul is the day I accept the economy is fixed. :lol: Right, going to lower the action, thanks for the advice!

That's okay! :biggrin: Good luck c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks c: As much as I'd like to hit perfect, you never get it, especially with Punk. The only thing I ever struggle with is getting the right decision. If you don't mind me asking, what do you generally write about? I write political stuff mainly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough. I've got one or two dark songs xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I try to hide this fact I'm a singer and drummer, it makes me more attractive than I would like the forum to believe for the purpose of my experiments.

Quick Reply

Latest