The Student Room Group

New to the UK and taking GCSE

Hello :^_^:

I have recently come to the UK and planning to apply for a university. Unfortunately my Iraqi qualifications aren't acknowledged in the UK :frown: so I'm going to take GCSE and A-levels.

I'm 20 years old and I don't know much about the system :s-smilie:. So if anyone can help by giving some advice on where to apply and how and whether I should take it as a private candidate or be in a course.

Edit: I would also like advice on which subjects I should study. I know that the core subjects are Math, English and Science but what other subjects can be useful?

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by icerose2005
Hello :^_^:

I have recently come to the UK and planning to apply for a university. Unfortunately my Iraqi qualifications aren't acknowledged in the UK :frown: so I'm going to take GCSE and A-levels.

I'm 20 years old and I don't know much about the system :s-smilie:. So if anyone can help by giving some advice on where to apply and how and whether I should take it as a private candidate or be in a course.

Edit: I would also like advice on which subjects I should study. I know that the core subjects are Math, English and Science but what other subjects can be useful?

The options depends on wht u wanna do in A levels and Uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Fallen99
The options depends on wht u wanna do in A levels and Uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning to study medicine.
I'm planning to study medicine.

Then do triple science in science do a language
I also want to study medicine in uni so for my GCSE I chose history geography triple science and french :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Then do triple science in science do a language
I also want to study medicine in uni so for my GCSE I chose history geography triple science and french :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it's supposed to take 8 to 11 subjects. :confused:
I thought it's supposed to take 8 to 11 subjects. :confused:

Yeah these were my options my compulsory subjects r English Language English literature maths Religious Education and ICT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah these were my options my compulsory subjects r English Language English literature maths Religious Education and ICT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know where I can apply?
If you're 20 and have completed the equivalent of A-level qualifications in Iraq, I would suggest on taking A-levels at the same time as GCSE, as you should be far beyond GCSE at this point.
Whether you take it as a private candidate depends on how confident you are to get the grades. If you think it will be easy, take it privately. If you would struggle to self-teach it, take it with classes.

It really depends on how much you learned in Iraq. I don't know the system there, but you might find you've covered all of A-level for your subjects.

For medicine, sciences are good, especially biology and chemistry.

If you want to take A-levels with classes, you will need to apply to local colleges around now for entry for 2015. If you take them privately, you will need to approach local schools/colleges and ask them whether you can take it there. Biology and chemistry have practical assessments, so you need to ask about them too.

You apply to universities online through UCAS. The deadline for medicine is October 15th, so if you want to enter in 2016, the application has to be in by October 15th 2015.
As far as I'm aware, for most universities as long as you have the core subjects the other GCSEs won't matter much, as long as you studied enough GCSEs, what matters is the subjects you do for your A-Levels. Maybe you could choose subjects you like, or you think might be useful. For studying medicine definitely do the sciences as separate subjects if you can though. I agree with the previous suggestion of doing a language, as it not only looks good on your application or your CV but also might be useful at some point too.

For A-Levels, people typically study 3 or 4 A-Levels, some people doing 5. For subjects, if you can do 3, do Maths, Chemistry and Biology. If you can do four, I think physics is what most people would choose for medicine, and further maths if they do 5. I think most places just want you to have the Maths, Chemistry and Biology though, as long as you have those three for A-Levels you should hopefully be okay to do medicine.

My information might not be the most accurate, this is just what I learned from my friends when they were applying for medicine.

For more specific and reliable information on what you need to do for the university course the best place to find the information is the universities themselves. Each one will want slightly different things, so I'd suggest you look at which universities you want to study at, contact them and explain the situation and ask what they suggest you do and what they want you to have studied.
Reply 9
Original post by morgan8002
If you're 20 and have completed the equivalent of A-level qualifications in Iraq, I would suggest on taking A-levels at the same time as GCSE, as you should be far beyond GCSE at this point.
Whether you take it as a private candidate depends on how confident you are to get the grades. If you think it will be easy, take it privately. If you would struggle to self-teach it, take it with classes.

It really depends on how much you learned in Iraq. I don't know the system there, but you might find you've covered all of A-level for your subjects.

Yes I have completed the equivalent of A-level. These are my degrees out of 100
Maths 100%
Biology 100%
Chemistry 96%
Physics 100%
English 98%
French 91%
Arabic 88%

To apply for A-levels do I need any requirements or qualifications of GCSE?
Yes I have completed the equivalent of A-level. These are my degrees out of 100
Maths 100%
Biology 100%
Chemistry 96%
Physics 100%
English 98%
French 91%
Arabic 88%

To apply for A-levels do I need any requirements or qualifications of GCSE?

There are usually entry requirements in the form of GCSEs, but you have special circumstances. You can explain to any colleges that you have already achieved the equivalent of A-levels and they should let you take A-levels there, also with any GCSEs that you need to get. You will need to pay though, around £1000 per half A-level, not sure how much for GCSEs.

To be honest though I don't really see what you would get taking it with a college/sixth form not privately as you should already know everything they will be teaching you.
Reply 11
There are usually entry requirements in the form of GCSEs, but you have special circumstances. You can explain to any colleges that you have already achieved the equivalent of A-levels and they should let you take A-levels there, also with any GCSEs that you need to get. You will need to pay though, around £1000 per half A-level, not sure how much for GCSEs.

What colleges should I be looking for? I have tried Leeds city college and they said they don't do A-levels for those who are over 19

To be honest though I don't really see what you would get taking it with a college/sixth form not privately as you should already know everything they will be teaching you.

Is it possible to take A-levels privately?
What colleges should I be looking for? I have tried Leeds city college and they said they don't do A-levels for those who are over 19

Is it possible to take A-levels privately?

You've got the right idea, but try asking the other colleges in your area and see if one will accept someone your age.

Yes, you can take them privately. You have to take them with an exam centre(school/college). You approach the exam centre and ask them whether they will let you take the exams privately(for biology and chemistry A-level you need to ask about practical assessments too). Then if they are happy with it, you pay them and take the exams there. You don't get any teaching which is the main difference.

The fees will be smaller as you only pay for the exams, you don't need to pay tuition.
Reply 13

The fees will be smaller as you only pay for the exams, you don't need to pay tuition.

About how much are the fees if I take classes? And nearly how much as private candidate?
About how much are the fees if I take classes? And nearly how much as private candidate?

With classes £1000 per half A-level.

Privately £50 per half A-level, but I'm not sure, I haven't taken anything privately. You also might have extra fees for resources for practical assessments, I don't know. You might want to check on your board's website for the basic costs.
I did a quick google and this came up for AQA. It will work as a baseline and the other boards will have something similar.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-ENTRY-FEES-2014-15.PDF
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
What is a half A-level? You mean one year of A-level?
What is a half A-level? You mean one year of A-level?

Yes, either AS or A2. So a full A-level will cost twice as much.
Reply 17
Yes, either AS or A2. So a full A-level will cost twice as much.

Do I have to take both AS and A2?

Yes, you have to in order to gain a complete A-Level.

Currently if you just do the AS, you get a qualification worth half as much.
However if you want to go to university they will expect three full A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest