The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophiaLDN
Fair enough. I think it is given that they go against everything he is. Yeah man, Its sad that they were killed as they shouldn't have been harmed but I also don't feel sad for them.

Don't say that too loud :wink:
Original post by SophiaLDN
100% agree. I already shared my reasons in the other post about this so I might as-well copy & past. They also had a cover talking about surrogacy being slavery & what do you know, they drew a picture of 2 white people walking a black person on all 4s with a leash. Just inserting racism wherever they can & showcasing how they truly feel about black people.

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist etc comics. Although they insult other religions equally, they seem to go one step further when insulting Muslims. Hebdo contributes to the marginalisation of discriminated groups that are already oppressed; its not 'just a cartoon'. Their work is viciously disgusting and goes above satire and into the realm of racism, xenophobia etc. They shouldn't have been killed, I condemn the murders just like I condemn the cartoons. So now, Charlie Hebdo is now being put on a pedestal as a western saviour and campaigner for free speech. They never were. If you champion free speech, you will not support Charlie Hebdo's work as they use it as a blanket to spread hate, islamophobia, racism and incite violence/ xenophobia.

So no, I am not Charlie. If I am anyone it would be Ahmed, the (muslim) policeman who was killed. He died protecting Charlie Hebdo who ridiculed his culture, ethnicity and faith. He died defending and protecting free speech and is a true hero.

Hyperbolic post. Charlie Hebdo is a left-wing publisher, which even tried to get the Front National banned. Their satire was dark, and beyond our normal sensibilities, but to equate them with an organisation like Golden Dawn (which is essentially what you are doing with your hyperbole) is ridiculous. There is a lot worse out there.

In addition, Charlie Hebdo did not march through the streets of Paris plastering their cartoons everywhere, or post them through letterboxes. You would have to go out of your way to find them and then experience the reactions you describe.

If you champion free speech, you will support Charlie Hebdo. You may not agree with the content of the cartoons, but they stood firm in the face of censorship and threats of violence: this makes them a champion of free speech. Also, I support anyone who is violently attacked for utilising their right to free expression, regardless of what they say or publish so long as it is within the law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IdeasForLife
The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is s*** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.

Spoiler

Wow, I never knew this. I'm also not in favour of this, its freedom of speech sure, but its trashy and not something I would ever support or read myself.
Original post by joe01223
you got it wrong mate. I was responding to someone else. I know the cartoons are deeply offensive and the cartoons were basically asking for a reaction.

Yeh and I saw a woman the other day with a short skirt. She was asking to be raped

I am just using your logic
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
The most hyperbolic post ever. Charlie Hebdo is a left-wing publisher, which even tried to get the Front National banned. Their satire was dark, and beyond our normal sensibilities, but to equate them with an organisation like Golden Dawn (which is essentially what you are doing with your hyperbole) is ridiculous.

In addition, Charlie Hebdo did not march through the streets of Paris plastering their cartoons everywhere, or post them through letterboxes. You would have to go out of your way to find them and then experience the reactions you describe.

If you champion free speech, you will support Charlie Hebdo. You may not agree with the content of the cartoons, but they stood firm in the face of censorship and threats of violence: this makes them a champion of free speech. Also, I support anyone who is violently attacked for utilising their right to free expression, regardless of what they say or publish so long as it is within the law.

Since when is freedom of press more crucial than confronting racism? Sure they confronted it barbarically. But it's not right to support Charlie. If people had any concern for racism (referring to the monkey one in OP) then they wouldn't so blindly advocate for freedom of press behind support for the publisher who is behind those offensive satires; just because they were killed is that justification to support them?
Original post by Tom_Ford
No, the context you miss is that it is an ongoing war between the west and the Islamic State and other terrorist groups in the Middle East (also France's wonderful and convenient ability to forget it's history in North Africa).
This is not a regular debate about freedom of expression, in the backdrop of current affairs it is a war. A war that is going on right now away from the comfort of your armchair. I see this event as an overspill from the war which is geographically in the middle east but has been declared to all sympathisers of that particular movement. In that context, in a war, he had it coming. His weapons were his words/drawings (propaganda being a weapon in war). Their weapons were their guns.
Of course he should not have given in, but he also should have known what environment he/they were publishing the material in.

Mmm not really. It has nothing to do with the IS.

They didn't like the Mohammed cartoons because it is blasphemous, so they murdered him.

No need to try to make it more complex than it actually is
Original post by pocahontas lol
Since when is freedom of press more crucial than confronting racism? ?

When people have their heads blown off it.
Since when is freedom of press more crucial than confronting racism? Sure they confronted it barbarically. But it's not right to support Charlie. If people had any concern for racism (referring to the monkey one in OP) then they wouldn't so blindly advocate for freedom of press behind support for the publisher who is behind those offensive satires; just because they were killed is that justification to support them?

Get a grip. There is a lot worse out there. I am a proponent of gay rights and have seen a couple of Charlie Hebdo's cartoons which could be construed as homophobic. But I appreciate that they were just perpetuating dark humour, for which there is a market, and probably did not wish for gay people to be hurt or criminalised. They were left-wing after all. I also appreciate that any offence I feel is my own doing, as I have specifically decided to search for such cartoons, when I could just ignore them.

And "confronting racism" is so subjective. The Daily Mail, and indeed numerous other newspapers, post stuff all the time, including statistics, which do not portray ethnic minorities in a good light. This probably causes more racist feelings than Charlie Hebdo, being the small publication that it is, has ever done. Do we call for those mainstream newspapers to be banned? No.
(edited 9 years ago)
The most hyperbolic post ever.

surely not 'the most...ever'.

Charlie Hebdo is a left-wing publisher

and so gets mulligans? I just don't know what work this is doing here, still less the bit about seeking to muzzle the FN.

If you champion free speech, you will support Charlie Hebdo.

there's room for more nuance than this. It isn't a binary choice between opposing free speech and supporting Charlie Hebdo in this silly hashtagging sense. I support the right of Charlie Hebdo to say what it wants to say, but my feeling that what it wants to say is actually horrible makes me loathe now to say 'I am Charlie Hebdo'. Indeed, it'd be doubly dishonest since I am only a supporter and not what you style a ''champion'' of free speech, I don't share their courage and can't claim to, and because I think theirs is a bloody awful magazine.

We reach for local analogs the better to understand and there seems to be a popular notion here that this murderous attack on a satirical magazine was something like the storming of Viz or Private Eye, dear Ian Hislop gunned down for irreverence. The truth is that there is no close analog for Charlie Hebdo in this country. It'd be closed down by a left-wing campaign except that it wouldn't have to be - because closed down by market forces, there's no popular appetite for that kind of nastiness here.
Original post by DorianGrayism
When people have their heads blown off it.

Let's discuss all of the barbaric violence behind racism, now.
Get a grip. There is a lot worse out there. I am a proponent of gay rights and have seen a couple of Charlie Hebdo's cartoons which could be construed as homophobic. But I appreciate that they were just perpetuating dark humour, for which there is a market, and probably did not wish for gay people to be hurt or criminalised. They were left-wing after all. I also appreciate that any offence I feel is my own doing, as I have specifically decided to search for such cartoons, when I could just ignore them.

And "confronting racism" is so subjective. The Daily Mail, and indeed numerous other newspapers, post stuff all the time, including statistics, which do not portray ethnic minorities in a good light. This probably causes more racist feelings than Charlie Hebdo, being the small publication that it is, has ever done. Do we call for those mainstream newspapers to be banned? No.

Stopped reading at "grip." Not that this post seems like it deserves me to dignify it with a response....
Let's discuss all of the barbaric violence behind racism, now.

There is no need to discuss that because the magazine was not using violence to support racism.

At worst, they were making racist cartoons.

I doubt any of the cartoons were racist anyway, because that is illegal.
Original post by DorianGrayism

I doubt any of the cartoons were racist anyway

The OP just provided its racist cartoons. :confused:
Original post by amenahussein
If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

grow up, seriously.
What a cop out. Just say if you're incapable of forming a coherent, logical counter-argument.

Excuse me? You don't know me from a bag of rice, sweetie. You're not someone I feel even remotely aroused to argue with, due to the ignorant sentiments you have expressed in your former post. Is that okay?

It's gonna have to be.
The OP just provided its racist cartoons. :confused:

Not really.

The first one was a joke that had bad taste. People make stupid jokes about massacres and etc all the time. That isn't even racist.

The second one was making fun of a far right group that called the justice minister a monkey.

Do people bother to research this ? No

It makes better headlines to write that they compared the justice minister to a monkey and that equals racist.
Excuse me? You don't know me from a bag of rice, sweetie. You're not someone I feel even remotely aroused to argue with, due to the ignorant sentiments you have expressed in your former post. Is that okay?

It's gonna have to be.

This just reads to me that you can't think of any argument to counter what I said, or take the time to do so. But that's fine - your choice.

But I am curious what is "ignorant" about my post. The Daily Mail causes so much more racist feeling than Charlie Hebdo has ever done, but it still continues without being banned or campaigned against. In addition, I said that I do not put Charlie Hebdo in the same camp as, say, the Westboro Baptist Church for their cartoons which some would be construed as homophobic. Firstly, because I recognise it as dark humour, and secondly because I appreciate that they are not a homophobic organisation which has ever called for gay people to be criminalised, etc. The intention is not there; it's about satire and dark humour.
(edited 9 years ago)
The Daily Mail... the Westboro Baptist Church

of interest, in the event that a representative of either of these had been gunned down, would you show support for their right to free speech by hashtagging with, say, 'I am Richard Littlejohn' or 'I am Pastor Fred Phelps'? Would reluctance to do so be evidence of a person's being opposed to free speech?
Unfortunately, he was a racist and a xenophobe; people were quick to jump on the jesuischarlie bandwagon without researching his work.

But whatever, hey I'm cool and free speechy and I must stand for something bigger than justin bieber cause my life is not hollow and empty, #jesuischarlie
Original post by cambio wechsel
of interest, in the event that a representative of either of these had been gunned down, would you show support for their right to free speech by hashtagging with, say, 'I am Richard Littlejohn' or 'I am Pastor Fred Phelps'? Would reluctance to do so be evidence of a person's being opposed to free speech?

Firstly, that's a false analogy as it would be "I am the Westboro Baptist Church" or "I am the Daily Mail".

Secondly, I have yet to use the hashtag for Charlie Hebdo, so I would unlikely use it for what you refer. I am not into that populist nonsense.

But, what I would do is support such organisations, yes. Westboro Baptist Church is a little difficult as I support freedom of speech within the law, and they would not operate within English law. The Daily Mail I usually disagree with, but would support if they persevered despite attempts at censorship through violence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending