The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

The cartoon below is drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is **** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The image is in the spoiler, you may find it offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view it or not.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I won't click on that link thanks.

Anyways I think this is just making things worse.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
So what. If you have a problem with the type of humour presented by the magazine you don't shoot the place up.
Reply 3
Original post by Swanbow
So what. If you have a problem with the type of humour presented by the magazine you don't shoot the place up.

Agreed, as there many ways to peacefully protest without resorting to violence.
Well, y'know what?

Je suis Charlie, because I'm not prepared to forgo my freedom of expression to pander to the unreasonable demands of others, extremists and moderates alike.

If you are, then that's a damned shame. The point of "je suis Charlie" is not that one necessarily agrees with what the magazine published. The point is that we who are civilised support their right to publish it.
Original post by Swanbow

Exactly. Which is exactly what the vast, vast majority of muslims did (not do).
Reply 6
A lesson in self-censorship.
I hate these hashtags. Like the #weareallmonkeys one a few months back.
Reply 8
If you don't like the magazine, don't buy it, jeez.

Original post by Jdowsea
A lesson in self-censorship.

Erm what? Why should they have to censor themselves? People chose to get offended about things, and **** them.
Reply 9
Original post by Gjaykay
Erm what? Why should they have to censor themselves? People chose to get offended about things, and **** them.

I was referring to the OP. Sorry, should have made that clear really.
Reply 10
for those who won't click the link, this is the laughably idiotic, disgusting and racist crap that you're missing out on...

Before social media sparks fire and everyone claims the phrase #jesuischarlie I want to point out some lovely truths about Charlie Hedbo that the news media may “forget” to point out.

Though my heart goes out to the victims to the shooting at the Charlie Hedbo headquarters ( I ALSO DO NOT CONDONE THE ACT OF VIOLENCE AS A SOLUTION TO RACISM OR HATE ) I need it to be known that this newspaper was not some sweet periodical that used it’s platform of freedom of speech as a catalyst to social change in France. Before you allow Fox News to label the shooters as Muslim Terrorist and that all Muslims are terrorist and that Charlie Hebdo was a magazines for families and saints you need to know that this newspaper was infamously known for being racist, homophobic, and highly islamphobic. I am not one to laugh at a blatant racist comic as “oh lol free speech” because with free speech comes RESPONSIBILITY.
It should be no secret that the Muslim community in France has often been abused, push to the side, and ignored. Even laws are put in place to prevent then from practicing their beliefs comfortably.For Charlie Hebdo to be a left wing newspaper that questioned the actions of the right wing, why does it often look like they are laughing along with them? Why can’t this magazine question why we are racist and islamphobic than to continue to justify their belief in supposed “ironic” comics?
My prayers go out to the victims of this shooing. As an artist, a person who works in magazines, a human, and as a French woman I feel their pain.
MAIS
JE NE SUIS PAIS CHARLIE
I will not stand for this magazine, I will not celebrate the privilege of “free speech” to be a disguise for hate. I am a black woman who understands how frustrated one can be as whites continue to use laws as an excuse to be abusive to who we are whether it be religion, skin color, or sexual orientation. I know France is scared, I know people are hurting. But I cannot be this newspaper’s ally. I am an ally for the people of France, I am an ally to the victims and their families but I will not stand in solidarity for this hateful newspaper.
JE NE SUIS PAS CHARLIE

"whites continue to use laws as an excuse to be abusive to who we are"
infact maybe this racist, westernphobic sht shouldn't be allowed to be posted on the site?
You don't have to read the magazine if you don't want.
Original post by Gjaykay
If you don't like the magazine, don't buy it, jeez.

Still, we live in an anarchic world, any man is free to do his best to get a rifle and shoot up some people if he so wishes.

Not that I condone needless killing.
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
Still, we live in an anarchic world, any man is free to do his best to get a rifle and shoot up some people if he so wishes.

Not that I condone needless killing.

No, he isn't. We have laws and punishments in place for that.
Original post by Gjaykay
No, he isn't. We have laws and punishments in place for that.

Open your mind my friend. Laws and punishments don't stop murderers from murdering, rapists from raping, druggies from drugging and so on. We live in an anarchic world and there are no rights or freedoms except the ones that are fought for in the present moment.
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
Open your mind my friend. Laws and punishments don't stop murderers from murdering, rapists from raping, druggies from drugging and so on. We live in an anarchic world and there are no rights or freedoms except the ones that are fought for in the present moment.

I'll take the first part, yes it doesn't stop them, but they are not free to do so.
The second part I can't even. What?
We're living in a (mostly) civilized world, the only place I see Anarchy Rule is the underdeveloped world, where chaos reigns unless you're rich.
Or yano, Suchiehall Street on a Friday night *shrugs*
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
click on the link it explains why http://avantblargh.tumblr.com/post/107422672105

btw i DON'T CONDONE the shooting

As soon as I saw it was a Tumblr link, I knew it would be a pile of bollokcs.

And I was right.
Original post by BitWindy
Well, y'know what?

Je suis Charlie, because I'm not prepared to forgo my freedom of expression to pander to the unreasonable demands of others, extremists and moderates alike.

If you are, then that's a damned shame. The point of "je suis Charlie" is not that one necessarily agrees with what the magazine published. The point is that we who are civilised support their right to publish it.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

Posted from TSR Mobile
But guys, it's a religion of peace remember, and it's perfect.
Original post by Gjaykay
I'll take the first part, yes it doesn't stop them, but they are not free to do so.
The second part I can't even. What?
We're living in a (mostly) civilized world, the only place I see Anarchy Rule is the underdeveloped world, where chaos reigns unless you're rich.
Or yano, Suchiehall Street on a Friday night *shrugs*

Haha, well give me a chance to explain it: The base state of nature is anarchy. That is to say that there is nothing stopping you from putting your pants on your head and running down the street shouting "ayy lmao". There is nothing physically preventing someone from going out, getting a gun, and shooting up an office. This is why I say someone is free to do so.

There exists a powerful entity within this anarchy (government/the state) that imposes some level of order, however that is only with the consent of others. Life is Anarchy Rule, it's just that before we were born, a power had been established and brainwashed us into thinking it isn't. And on that note I leave you free to believe as you wish, have a pleasant evening.

Quick Reply

Latest