The Student Room Group

Car splashed me on purpose!

So I was walking to school this morning, crossed a roundabout and then I was walking in the middle of the path, seeing the puddle I knew I had enough time to walk past without getting soaked by anything, then this happened. All of a sudden a driver in a 4x4 sped up and went straight through the puddle, I know that this is a motoring offence and that I can report him. The worst thing is that I got soaked so much my 2 month's old iPhone got all wet and it's starting to stop working... I have the reg of the car, will it be possible for me to somehow make him pay for it? It's a long of a shot but if my phone fully break's I'll be loosing 600 pounds, I am also pretty sure that it's all caught on CCTV as it happened by a local KFC and a VET newly built if that would help? I would appreciate any of your help.
Contact your police (call 101 i think for non-emergencies, id check if i were you)and the shops which may have had the CCTV. Be quick as CCTV is only saves at a certain point. You have the reg and footage so youve got a point..

But in my honest opinion i dont think youll get anything from it because chances are theres not enough evidence for them to be 100% sure and they probably have other bigger things to do, which is a problem with police sometimes.

Good luck!
Original post by msos
So I was walking to school this morning, crossed a roundabout and then I was walking in the middle of the path, seeing the puddle I knew I had enough time to walk past without getting soaked by anything, then this happened. All of a sudden a driver in a 4x4 sped up and went straight through the puddle, I know that this is a motoring offence and that I can report him. The worst thing is that I got soaked so much my 2 month's old iPhone got all wet and it's starting to stop working... I have the reg of the car, will it be possible for me to somehow make him pay for it? It's a long of a shot but if my phone fully break's I'll be loosing 600 pounds, I am also pretty sure that it's all caught on CCTV as it happened by a local KFC and a VET newly built if that would help? I would appreciate any of your help.

If the quality of the CCTV is decent (& it is actually being recorded, not just streamed), it might prove the driver did it on purpose (i.e suddenly sped up, or deliberately swerved).

Definitely call 101 for advice, or try file a report in person at a police station (better IMO). Mention the CCTV to them, and they can obtain the footage, and assuming there is enough evidence, hopefully charge the driver with careless driving. (£5000 max penalty, 3-9 points on license).

(It's possible that the driver has already been in trouble before, and this might be their last strike to take them off the roads for some time.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by msos

cars speed up after a roundabout god. you also have eyes you know, wheres your responsbility for not getting splashed.
Reply 4
Original post by thisistheend
cars speed up after a roundabout god. you also have eyes you know, wheres your responsbility for not getting splashed.

Dude, this was like 5 meters before getting on to a roundabout so get your facts straight, clearly you can't read or you're really dumb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
This is ridiculous...
A car that splashes? OMG :eek:

is that really an offence in that country - I'm assuming England?

anyway how do you know it was on purpose? Maybe they didn't see at all - had a gps or was reading the signs or searching for a place or something...
Original post by SiminaM
This is ridiculous...
A car that splashes? OMG :eek:

anyway how do you know it was on purpose? Maybe they didn't see at all - had a gps or was reading the signs or searching for a place or something...

A car driver that purposely splashes a pedestrian is causing an offence.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same if it was you who had your new iPhone broken because of it. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by SiminaM
Yes, it is inconsiderate driving.

I feel your pain, OP. I got splashed by a tosser in a Range Rover who swerved in to the kerb deliberately to go through a puddle which soaked me to the skin. I had to go back home and get changed and was very late for work.

Report it to the Police. I am SO pleased you got the toerag's registration. I had face and glasses splattered with mud so couldn't.

Original post by SiminaM
In which case the offence was "driving without due care and attention".
I've never been splashed. Call the person who splashes a tosser but seriously, you're a tosser to get splashed. Who stands where they can get splashed, seriously? :giggle:
Reply 9
Twinpeaks
A car driver that purposely splashes a pedestrian is causing an offence.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same if it was you who had your new iPhone broken because of it.

OMG, I forgot about the iPhone? :zomg:
*white girl crisis* - LOL I am white but seriously? How ****ty is that iPhone to get soaked so easily I thought you can get in the pool with them and they fine.

BTW PUT IT IN RICE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IT DOES WONDERS! SERIOUSLY! :biggrin:

Original post by pocahontas lol
I've never been splashed. Call the person who splashes a tosser but seriously, you're a tosser to get splashed. Who stands where they can get splashed, seriously? :giggle:

:colone: :yy:
Original post by SiminaM

:colone: :yy:

:cool:

And lmao at "white girl crisis."
Reply 11
Original post by Simes
Yes, it is inconsiderate driving.

I feel your pain, OP. I got splashed by a tosser in a Range Rover who swerved in to the kerb deliberately to go through a puddle which soaked me to the skin. I had to go back home and get changed and was very late for work.

Report it to the Police. I am SO pleased you got the toerag's registration. I had face and glasses splattered with mud so couldn't.

In which case the offence was "driving without due care and attention".

Maybe it was the same car!?!
Reply 12

How have you never been splashed? Do you not walk in the rain?? Normally I'll have my umbrella ready to protect me from the splash, but it's not unusual to get splashed!!
Original post by Bobbi!
How have you never been splashed? Do you not walk in the rain?? Normally I'll have my umbrella ready to protect me from the splash, but it's not unusual to get splashed!!

I've never been splashed because I don't walk by the curb. :confused: When I hear car coming from behind me, I dash away from the road. Simple. I've just never been splashed. And I live in a big city and always walk.
Reply 14
LOL!
Brilliant.
Reply 15
I've never been splashed because I don't walk by the curb. :confused: When I hear car coming from behind me, I dash away from the road. Simple. I've just never been splashed. And I live in a big city and always walk.

Are you stupid or are you dumb? You need to learn how to read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending