The Student Room Group

How to deal with pushy people

I always thought I was pretty assertive until I met this friend two years ago. I never invite anyone to my house and yet he has managed to come to mine a lot for a variety to reasons. He might inform me he's on his way, suggest he comes over for dinner, say he needs to drop something off. If we meet up for anything he will insist on driving me home and then just presumes he will be invited into my house. I feel like I'm beig strangled. He's a nice guy. And he does invite me over to his on the odd occasion (I never come as it's far on public transport and I don't get the time as I have a baby) but he just doesn't seem to have basic manners and doesn't wait to be invited over. I think it's incredinly rude to invite yourself to someone's house, especially for dinner.

he will invite me out but once out he just had a bossy sort of personality that I find grating.

Ive never encountered anyone like him before. His personality has turned most people away and I'm the only one who still meets up with him. A mutual friend ended contact after he invited himself for tea at hers and she has young children.

I i want to stay friends. But don't want him Coming to mine unless he's invited as I have a baby and I'm tired in the evening. I don't want him to be my best friend like he keeps saying he is. I want him to be a friend I see every now and again.

hes informed me he is coming to mines to give me my university diary back (he sent a text to say he's had a snoop through and he seemed to think that was funny) and I don't want him coming in. I'm out tonight anyway so I'm asking him to put it through the pair box.

have oh any advice on dealing with someone like this? What would you do?!
Original post by Mezza362
I always thought I was pretty assertive until I met this friend two years ago. I never invite anyone to my house and yet he has managed to come to mine a lot for a variety to reasons. He might inform me he's on his way, suggest he comes over for dinner, say he needs to drop something off. If we meet up for anything he will insist on driving me home and then just presumes he will be invited into my house. I feel like I'm beig strangled. He's a nice guy. And he does invite me over to his on the odd occasion (I never come as it's far on public transport and I don't get the time as I have a baby) but he just doesn't seem to have basic manners and doesn't wait to be invited over. I think it's incredinly rude to invite yourself to someone's house, especially for dinner.

he will invite me out but once out he just had a bossy sort of personality that I find grating.

Ive never encountered anyone like him before. His personality has turned most people away and I'm the only one who still meets up with him. A mutual friend ended contact after he invited himself for tea at hers and she has young children.

I i want to stay friends. But don't want him Coming to mine unless he's invited as I have a baby and I'm tired in the evening. I don't want him to be my best friend like he keeps saying he is. I want him to be a friend I see every now and again.

hes informed me he is coming to mines to give me my university diary back (he sent a text to say he's had a snoop through and he seemed to think that was funny) and I don't want him coming in. I'm out tonight anyway so I'm asking him to put it through the pair box.

Creep.
Call the cops.
Have you told him, to his face?

It sounds like he's probably quite lonely, and he thinks you have to be assertive to make friends. Is there any chance he's on the autistic spectrum?
Reply 3
Just to say yes gay so there's no romantic feelings.

He is a school teacher and I really don't know how he managed to qualify. He doesn't have the personality at all! He's clever though so managed to easily pass all his academic work.

I'm not worried for my safety. He has good intentions but is just way too busy and overbearing

He has a boyfriend but has never had many close friends so I do think he wants to be liked and feel needed. Hess going the wrong way about it tho. A mutual friend who met him said he tries too hard. Didn't know what she meant but I think I'm starting to now
Reply 4
"no, sorry"
He does seem pushy. I hope you get the problem sorted out.
Sometimes you have to be a little mean. Just tell him that you don't want him to come to your house, and that he needs to leave you alone. You have other things to do.
Reply 6
Thanks guys
Reply 7
This makes me laugh when I look back at this thread. I married him last week. Haha. His pushy behaviour paid off in the end!
This makes me laugh when I look back at this thread. I married him last week. Haha. His pushy behaviour paid off in the end!

Wow weird how so much can change in a year!
Reply 9

Oh wow :lol:
A nice lesson there on not giving up (on his part haha)
How long did it take things to change?
(congrats by the way :smile:)
The way I deal with pushy people is by rudeness.
No other way.

Honestly, with this kind of guy?

Tell him to f*ck off. It's not nice, I know. But it'll shut him up.

Quick Reply

Latest