The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
People at/offer holders for Oxbridge CAN believe in God, you know :tongue:

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not that religious, last time I went to church was like 5 years ago and never been for my 1st confession to a priest to confess my 101 sins but I do believe in God :h:
Yes
I don't really care whether it exists or not because it can't be said for sure, I'm just a good person for the sake of it so I guess if there's a God I'm not ****ed or something.
No.

I used to force myself to believe in a God as recently as last October due to Pascal's Wager but then I came across a user called 'The Epicurean' who rather impressively deconstructed the arguments for God.

By the way, does this destroy the Euthyphro dilemma?
1) Let A be 'this action is good'
Let B be 'God commands it'
2) In the Euthyphro dilemma we must choose between A->B or B->A
3)A-> B (this action is good, therefore God commands it) then logically ¬B->¬A (if God doesn't command it, this action is not good)
4) B-> A (God commands it, therefore this action is good) then logically ¬A->¬B (if this action is not good, then God doesn't command it)

Technically, isn't B-> A the better choice as ¬A->¬B sounds better than ¬B->¬A (since I can think of things that are considered good but is not not commanded by God 3000 years ago in the Bible)?
Yes.
The question is:

Does God believe in me?
Original post by pocahontas lol
Yes.
The question is:

Does God believe in me?

Yes. Our holy lord said she believes in and loves you whole heartedly.
Original post by hellodave5
Yes. Our holy lord said she believes in and loves you whole heartedly.

She?
She?

Yeah? She's very beautiful.
Yeah? She's very beautiful.

Where I'm from, God is known as He.
Where I'm from, God is known as He.

Nope, a she!
In the image of a beautiful black African woman.
"In the image of a beautiful black African woman."

-

Similar, I imagine.
Could be her: who knows?
Original post by Simes

Occam's razor. There is no evidence there is a god. Therefore, there is no god.

There is no evidence for gravity.
Therefore, there is no gravity.

It's not even a valid form of argument it only has two terms lol.

So this would have worked before the 17th century?
Reply 55
Original post by dead sheep eater
There is no evidence for gravity.
Therefore, there is no gravity.

It's not even a valid form of argument it only has two terms lol.

So this would have worked before the 17th century?
WTF?

Large observable masses are attracted to one another by a force which reduces by distance and increases by size. Close analysis determined things have mass and this is significant, not the size. This mass / distance / attractive force arrangement is known by the concept of gravity. It is observable, predictable and consistent. Besides the motions of the objects in the solar system, amongst the evidence was the lunar hammer and feather experiment when they were released on the moon and feel toward the centre of the moon at the same rate.
Original post by Simes
WTF?

Large observable masses are attracted to one another by a force which reduces by distance and increases by size. Close analysis determined things have mass and this is significant, not the size. This mass / distance / attractive force arrangement is known by the concept of gravity. It is observable, predictable and consistent. Besides the motions of the objects in the solar system, amongst the evidence was the lunar hammer and feather experiment when they were released on the moon and feel toward the centre of the moon at the same rate.

... No one knew that until the 17th century. By your argument gravity didn't exist until we had evidence for it; which is patently false.
Reply 57
... No one knew that until the 17th century. By your argument gravity didn't exist until we had evidence for it; which is patently false.
Oh dear. A common fallacy.

No, Newton did not invent gravity. People before him had noticed the effect that things tend to fall down rather than up. Certainly the ancient Greeks had written about the effect even if they had not codified the formulae as Newton did. And it was Galileo - before Newton - who came up with the feather / dense object experiment
Original post by Simes
Oh dear. A common fallacy.

No, Newton did not invent gravity. People before him had noticed the effect. Certainly the ancient Greeks had written about the effect even if they had not codified the formulae as Newton did. And it was Galileo - before Newton - who came up with the feather / dense object experiment

Please stop talking about logic when you just tried to use a deductive argument with two terms, it's quite ridiculous. Besides the beating around the bush with history; I have already demonstrated that your argument makes no sense, on the basis of a) it's a formal fallacy (two terms), b) that's not even what Occam's razor is and c) you can use the argument to invalidate anything we have not yet studied.

No one knew about general relativity until when exactly? Does that mean it doesn't exist? No.

Qualitative study of gravity is not relevant.
Reply 59
Qualitative study of gravity is not relevant.
You brought it up by trying to claim that because Newton invented gravity in the 17th century (snigger) and you think nobody had noticed it before then, that there must be a god or gods because although there is no evidence now for a god or gods, someone must find some in the future because that is what happened to gravity.

An interesting thought experiment.

Try switching to decaff.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest