The Student Room Group

Why do nice guys/nice girls finish last?

Why do guys who have nice personalities never get the girl. Guys who are kind, caring, gentle, accept rejection politely and that are just nice to everyone, always finish last? In my college the girls seem to prefer the dickheads.
I think guys are just as bad too. They seem to prefer the bitches in my college. One of my friends who is a nice girl got rejected recently and then the guy went for a bitch, so that's why I created this thread. Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most of the time, the guys who call themselves nice guys - aren't.

They're just as crass and sex-crazed, but pretend that they aren't.
Reply 2
they may find that hanging out and dating bitches and popular guys better for reputation and prestige..
Reply 3
Because the right people hardly ever end up together, genuinely nice boys and girls seem to be a rarity. And when there is one because they are so rare people dont know how to take them is what I am guessing.
Original post by Clip

Pretty much this.

Some people are genuinely kind, other people think that denying just how much they want to **** a girl, somehow makes them a good person.
Reply 5
Original post by yo radical one
Pretty much this.

Some people are genuinely kind, other people think that denying just how much they want to **** a girl, somehow makes them a good person.

I hope there are enough genuinely kind, not two faced people out there.
Reply 6
What do they finish last in?

Sex?
If that's what you consider finishing last, then it's because of your attitude.

Relationships?
They don't.
Ain't too bad being last,
Last keeps the girl.
Reply 8
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Ain't too bad being last,
Last keeps the girl.

but girl= sloppy lasts
Original post by ZeroName
but girl= sloppy lasts

Ouch, how can you be so sure?

That's like saying only girl's who are "sloppy lasts" break up with their boyfriends.

ect ect
even as a man i hate "nice" guys. just don't respect them.
Original post by Clip

I've heard women say this line a lot before. So if no one can really be 'nice'. What do they expect? Nice guys to act their true type and suddenly get tattoos, carry cans of beer in their hands and start punching grannies in the street or something, lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perfectsymbology
I've heard women say this line a lot before. So if no one can really be 'nice'. What do they expect? Nice guys to act their true type and suddenly get tattoos, carry cans of beer in their hands and start punching grannies in the street or something, lol.

It's not that no one can be nice its just that when people act really nice to someone expecting something in return, they tend to get bitter when they don't get it. People who feel entitled to things because they're 'nice' aren't actually nice at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would count myself as one of the nice guys out there and I have to agree, we do finish last. When I was in college last year, I tried to ask out this sweet girl, Id been getting to know her for a few months and I thought it was going nicely. I wasnt being forceful or anything, just being a friendly person. So I tell them I have feelings for them and ask them out to go to the cinema but I promptly get told she doesnt feel the same way. So how do I handle it? Well I accept it and just literally say ok, and end that pursuit there, returning to friendly status with them. I dont go out doing bad things, Im just quiet, polite and fairly well mannered. But Im not what a girl is looking for seemingly, they want meatheads from what I can gather so i just tend to phase out and go into a sort of hibernation until someone comes along and expresses interest in me. Yes, we will finish last but I feel we will finish last for the better and get the best girls, ones who are more equivalent in behaviour to us. Thats just how this game plays itself out. Ive never had a relationship for this reason, Im just very patient in waiting.
Because sometimes these nice guys come off as too nice and seem a bit feminine. Girls want a guy, not another girl. Plus with nice guys, they're usually a lot more sensitive than other guys which is just annoying for the girl because well, we're the girl. Man up.
Saying that, i'm sure there are loads of nice guys that aren't overly emotional, cringe and feminine too...I just haven't met one:rolleyes:

I'm just generalizing here.
Original post by Clip

Since when does wanting sex make you a bad person?

Most people think they are nice though doesn't make them so. Being "nice" with the sole intention of it leading to sex kind of defeats the point of genuine empathy altruism. But then the flip side of empathy is that it is a great way of reading people and thus being able to manipulate them.

Ultimately I am probably altruistic for selfish reasons. In that if everyone behaved like that then I benefit. I think. Or maybe I've just been lumped with more ulturistic genes. Or maybe I'm really a bastard but just don't know it. Who knows.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by wellholathere
Because sometimes these nice guys come off as too nice and seem a bit feminine. Girls want a guy, not another girl. Plus with nice guys, they're usually a lot more sensitive than other guys which is just annoying for the girl because well, we're the girl. Man up.

So basically you want someone who you can rely on an as an emotional crutch. But you don't want to act as a crutch yourself.

But I'm not aloud that. I just got to deal with everything on my own and repress emotion that doesn't allude to everything being ok. Just because I am man.

**** that. You can get back in the kitchen then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Clip

I disagree - nice guys from my experience are usually just the kinds of guys who are too scared of offending girls so being too nice is all they have
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So basically you want someone who you can rely on an emotional crutch. But you don't want to act as a crutch yourself. But I'm not aloud that. I just got to deal with everything on my own.

Nope, i'm being general about my experience with nice guys myself. For some reason i always attract the clingy, needy and emotional type. A girl WILL help you out (well a reasonable one would) and she will sympathize. But from my experience, some nice guys over-do it. It's a bit overwhelming.
In my situation, this nice guy liked me and was constantly giving me gifts, compliments, being cheesy, always wanting to be around me, walking me home, doing all that nice guy stuff, he even tried to get to know my family.....and he wasn't even with me. It drove me crazy. There's a limit. Sometimes you want a bit of space.
Original post by wellholathere
Nope, i'm being general about my experience with nice guys myself. For some reason i always attract the clingy, needy and emotional type. A girl WILL help you out (well a reasonable one would) and she will sympathize. But from my experience, some nice guys over-do it. It's a bit overwhelming.
In my situation, this nice guy liked me and was constantly giving me gifts, compliments, being cheesy, always wanting to be around me, walking me home, doing all that nice guy stuff, he even tried to get to know my family.....and he wasn't even with me. It drove me crazy. There's a limit. Sometimes you want a bit of space.

Well as a socially awkward introvert room troll who is cheap you wouldn't get any of that from me :wink:

That is understandable. I'd probably be like " leave me the **** alone!" :tongue:

I'm just sick of pretending things are fine when they aren't and just internalizing it all. It's just annoying when you are made to feel like there is something wrong with you for not being fine.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending