The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevels2k15
It IS a religion of peace. And it IS perfect.

The religion IS perfect, whereas the people are not.

This is a statement that you will refuse to agree to right now, but i swear, there will be a time when you will agree.

Thats all.

It's quite amusing really, the level of delusion that you cling to as, more and more, your dark-age doctrine is shown to be both flawed and dangerous.
Who's Charlie?

Until recently, I avoided the Je Suis Charlie thing since it started because I thought it was about a French rendition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Reply 382
Original post by IdeasForLife
The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is **** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.

Spoiler

You know how you and your fellow apologists keep droning on about people taking the Qur'an "out of context"? Well take a guess at what you're doing right now...

Hypocrisy is strong in this one.
Original post by alevels2k15
I said the religion was perfect and the people ARE not.

Actually, the religion is imperfect very clearly. The obvious flaw being the inherent schism as a result of ambiguous text.

Since the people are not perfect, defects in their brains caused them to misunderstand a part of the glorious text.

Shouldn't you, as a Muslim, argue that human beings are perfect creations from the hand of Allah?

You're trying to say that islam justifies this horrendous act. Infact, it condems it.

This is a very bold claim and is somewhat incorrect.

In Sharia law, blasphemers are punishable by death. The Charlie Hebdo cartoons would constitute blasphemy under Sharia law. While the perpetrators do not have the authority to do this, they were arguably trying to impose the Sharia blasphemy law on French soil.

Condemning the attack doesn't do much either, you have to condemn the motives of the attack if you want to alienate Muslim extremists.

Dont even bother arguing with what i have just stated.

This quite a poor thing to say. You're essentially putting your fingers in your ears because you don't like being proven wrong. So you say this to try and give your post a brush of truism. It's not fooling anyone!
Original post by amenahussein
If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and you are muslims. nuff said.
Tibis ii makes some good points but by referring to the "Whites" do this..... she is a racist !

Charlie Hebdo is an extreme left mag and the govt past an present have been used and satire upon..........however look at who is there today at the "manifestation".

I still don't accept the need to offend religions, especially non western, in order to fell FREE ?
Yes, sorry. Typo

Posted from TSR Mobile

where are you from miss hussain? which middle eastern country? here's an idea ... if you don't like our values, our christian values and our values of democracy .. why don't you go back to whatever hole of a country your family originate from?
Reply 387
Nobody supports his killing, at all. But we all agree he was a foul human-being

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you even know what happened? I don't think you have any idea what actually happened.

Original post by TheWaffle
What was its context exactly?

The cartoon, titled "Rassemblement bleu Raciste" ("Racist Blue Gathering"), was a satirical attack on Marine le Pen, the leader of France's far right wing party and part of the "Rassemblement bleu Marine" ("Marine Blue Gathering"), who described Christiane Taubira, the French Minister of Justice, as a monkey.

Original post by queen-bee
What about the police officer who died? He just so happened to be a muslim yet they still gunned him down

What about him? He has received waves of support, including the #JeSuisAhmed hashtag, as has the Muslim clerk that hid his Jewish clients in the fridge until it was safe for them to leave. Nobody here has claimed what they did was anything less than admirable, and you're completely missing the point of the person you're replying to.

Original post by al_94
I think they should not be allowed to draw these kind of cartoons and get away with it but people go to jail for insulting the army. I don't know what the law is in France I don't care about that but I'm talking about the UK.

And you have every right to express that, though I don't know why you would given how futile it is.
People also don't go to jail for insulting the army. I've seen enough "the army is for people who fail school" posts in my time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 388
I think they should not be allowed to draw these kind of cartoons and get away with it but people go to jail for insulting the army. I don't know what the law is in France I don't care about that but I'm talking about the UK.
haha can we call this the KONY2012 effect? i really hate when a news story becomes trendy. 98% of the people spouting je suis charlie are just jumping on the trend. they don't really care.
X

You do realise that Charlie Hebdo isn't a person, don't you?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You do realise that Charlie Hebdo isn't a person, don't you?

Oh yea, that's his magazine my bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophiaLDN
100% agree. I already shared my reasons in the other post about this so I might as-well copy & past. They also had a cover talking about surrogacy being slavery & what do you know, they drew a picture of 2 white people walking a black person on all 4s with a leash. Just inserting racism wherever they can & showcasing how they truly feel about black people.

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist etc comics. Although they insult other religions equally, they seem to go one step further when insulting Muslims. Hebdo contributes to the marginalisation of discriminated groups that are already oppressed; its not 'just a cartoon'. Their work is viciously disgusting and goes above satire and into the realm of racism, xenophobia etc. They shouldn't have been killed, I condemn the murders just like I condemn the cartoons. So now, Charlie Hebdo is now being put on a pedestal as a western saviour and campaigner for free speech. They never were. If you champion free speech, you will not support Charlie Hebdo's work as they use it as a blanket to spread hate, islamophobia, racism and incite violence/ xenophobia.

So no, I am not Charlie. If I am anyone it would be Ahmed, the (muslim) policeman who was killed. He died protecting Charlie Hebdo who ridiculed his culture, ethnicity and faith. He died defending and protecting free speech and is a true hero.

PRSOM

This, 100%
Original post by Opiece
Yes they do care. And why does it upset you that so many people take part in this movement?
I think that's the beauty of it really: these people are not political activists, some of them never vote, some of them don't even have the right to vote. Yet, they all feel concerned by what happened because it's a direct attack against freedom of expression, against tolerance, and against French values.
As a French citizen, I'm really glad that my people are standing altogether to defend this cause.

maybe the feeling is different in france. where i'm sitting it's just the latest news story that became trendy.
Original post by Opiece
... No, it isn't. "Charlie" isn't a person and hasn't ever been. It's just the name of the newspaper.

So WHYS everyone Charlie then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So WHYS everyone Charlie then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a statement of solidarity, those who say they're Charlie are saying they stand up for the magazine's actions, in other words, they support freedom of expression and the ability to mock and criticise belief systems.
Original post by SophiaLDN

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist etc comics.

Can we have a single example of racism from the Charlie Hebdo magazine?
The amount of people referring to Charlie as a person, shows the ignorance rife in this thread quite plainly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's an unnecessarily offensive magazine. People have a right to criticise religions but there's a fine line between satirising prejudice and being prejudiced, such as in the monkey picture above.

However, nothing justifies that shooting. Nothing.
God knows I hate the Daily Mail and all the prejudices it stands for but if someone shot up their offices it would be horrific.

It's difficult. Je suis Charlie in terms of the right for free expression, but je ne suis pas Charlie in terms of the message they were trying to express. I'm worried that 'je suis Charlie' might be tacitly condoning that message.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by drsloth
Can we have a single example of racism from the Charlie Hebdo magazine?

The monkey picture on the first page looks rather racist to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending