The Student Room Group

Tired of Eating

I'm underweight. I lift, but my arms look like chicken legs.
I want to put on weight and mass but I get full up easily and it's so hard to overcome that feeling, I tried a few times, but felt like puking with with one extra spoon of rice.
And so how do I get past that mentality so I can put on weight and mass and not be skinny.

And what diet plan are you following?

Scroll to see replies

Give us a sample of what you have been eating this past week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks.

Some people have small stomachs and can't eat large volumes of food for higher calorie intake. You'll need to consider eating denser calorie foods e.g. if you drink semi-skimmed milk, switch to full-fat milk. Many nuts are also very calorie dense and perfect for snacking.

Google 'calorie dense foods'.
Start drinking some calories. Also bear in mind that it takes time for your stomach to adapt to any given level of food intake. You can train yourself to be able to eat more without getting as full.
Reply 3
Original post by Pink Boy
Give us a sample of what you have been eating this past week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks.

Some people have small stomachs and can't eat large volumes of food for higher calorie intake. You'll need to consider eating denser calorie foods e.g. if you drink semi-skimmed milk, switch to full-fat milk. Many nuts are also very calorie dense and perfect for snacking.

Google 'calorie dense foods'.

Original post by The Blind Monk
Start drinking some calories. Also bear in mind that it takes time for your stomach to adapt to any given level of food intake. You can train yourself to be able to eat more without getting as full.

I eat porrige, full fat milk, rice and curry x 2 + 1 banana + 1 pear + 1 sharon fruit
sometimes I have 4 peanut butter sandwhiches but it gives me loads of spots, and an oily skin, so im cutting down on that.

Can you tell me what you guys eat, and what I should eat in certain portions????
I googled diet plans, but I hear so much conflicting advice on it.

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by The Blind Monk

As in smoothies, what shall I put in them? :smile:
Reply 5
This is a sample of my daily diet, I could eat more if required: tsr.png
Original post by kumon
I eat porrige, full fat milk, rice and curry x 2 + 1 banana + 1 pear + 1 sharon fruit
sometimes I have 4 peanut butter sandwhiches but it gives me loads of spots, and an oily skin, so im cutting down on that.

Can you tell me what you guys eat, and what I should eat in certain portions????
I googled diet plans, but I hear so much conflicting advice on it.

Thank you :biggrin:

Add in more variety: there's no reason to need to eat 4 PB sandwiches. Add in another meal or put different stuff on your sandwiches!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by AMG44
This is a sample of my daily diet, I could eat more if required:

Wow that looks amazing :biggrin: Bit heavy on the tuna though?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Add in more variety: there's no reason to need to eat 4 PB sandwiches. Add in another meal or put different stuff on your sandwiches!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you show me some of what you eat as well?
Original post by kumon
Wow that looks amazing :biggrin: Bit heavy on the tuna though?

Can you show me some of what you eat as well?

My diet is pretty similar to what AMG posted. Except instead of oats in the morning I'll have scrambled egg or a muesli cereal or a meat-filled sandwich, and I eat way less supplemented protein than he does - one shake (20g whey, maybe with oats and PB) every 1-2 days.
Reply 9
My diet is pretty similar to what AMG posted. Except instead of oats in the morning I'll have scrambled egg or a muesli cereal or a meat-filled sandwich, and I eat way less supplemented protein than he does - one shake (20g whey, maybe with oats and PB) every 1-2 days.

And how much do you weigh?
What happens if
Do you know any good calorific drinks i can make by blending stuff up? :biggrin:
I'm asking as i dont want to end up putting crap which which clogg my arteies like baked beans and crap in a blender :smile:
I think sometimes it's less of a problem eating the food, more a problem of people eating the same food every day and getting bored. I personally have a spreadsheet of meals (almost like a menu) with a macronutrient target for each meal, eating 5 meals a day. I'm never spot on with carbs and fats but the calories and protein are pretty much engineered, so each meal comes in at 800 calories with 45 grams of protein, with roughly 100-120 grams of carbs and 15-20 grams of fats - it's easy to get the protein and calories right if you have a meal and wash it down with a small shake to round up the protein and calories (this shake will obviously contain whey, as well as any extra calories coming from either loive oil or oat powder, dependig on whether the meal could do with either more carbs or more fats).

So, I can pretty much pick and choose what meal I want to eat at any given time. Though I have a balance of meals, for example a certain amount of chicken-based meals and an equal amount of beef-based meals, and so on, so I know what to get when I go shopping.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by WoodyMKC
I think sometimes it's less of a problem eating the food, more a problem of people eating the same food every day and getting bored. I personally have a spreadsheet of meals (almost like a menu) with a macronutrient target for each meal, eating 5 meals a day. I'm never spot on with carbs and fats but the calories and protein are pretty much engineered, so each meal comes in at 800 calories with 45 grams of protein, with roughly 100-120 grams of carbs and 15-20 grams of fats - it's easy to get the protein and calories right if you have a meal and wash it down with a small shake to round up the protein and calories (this shake will obviously contain whey, as well as any extra calories coming from either loive oil or oat powder, dependig on whether the meal could do with either more carbs or more fats).

So, I can pretty much pick and choose what meal I want to eat at any given time. Though I have a balance of meals, for example a certain amount of chicken-based meals and an equal amount of beef-based meals, and so on, so I know what to get when I go shopping.

Can you please show me this meal plan via a print screenshot? :biggrin:
Original post by kumon
Can you please show me this meal plan via a print screenshot? :biggrin:

It's a big multisheet spreadsheet mate, not gonna happen :lol:

Here's an example meal though, shown in formula view:

untitled.bmp

As you can see, I don't get too fussy as to whether I'm a few calories over or under here or there as it won't make a blind bit of difference. Comes to just over 800kcals, just under 45g protein, and just over 100g carbs and 20g fats.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
While I may not be the best person to give advice on this as my stomach is a bottomless pit (one of the benefits of being obese in a past life) Take advantage of the fact that fats have twice as many calories as both carbs and protein! Full fat milk, nuts and peanut butter, olive oil and pretty much anything along those lines are awesome awesome sources of healthy fats which can really get the calories up.

Try to get fiber in but remember that things like rice are very filling and fibrous so try and get your carbs from less heavy sources. Hell Drink some of the excess foods if you have to; I've seen people make some insane bulking shakes just using the aforementioned foods and protein powders.

Your appetite will increase bro its one of the many things that develop when you live the lifestyle :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by AMG44
This is a sample of my daily diet, I could eat more if required:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Riberye
While I may not be the best person to give advice on this as my stomach is a bottomless pit (one of the benefits of being obese in a past life) Take advantage of the fact that fats have twice as many calories as both carbs and protein! Full fat milk, nuts and peanut butter, olive oil and pretty much anything along those lines are awesome awesome sources of healthy fats which can really get the calories up.

Try to get fiber in but remember that things like rice are very filling and fibrous so try and get your carbs from less heavy sources. Hell Drink some of the excess foods if you have to; I've seen people make some insane bulking shakes just using the aforementioned foods and protein powders.

Your appetite will increase bro its one of the many things that develop when you live the lifestyle :wink:

Great tips guys, do you recomend any foods I can blend and will make a calorific shake? So I can bring it to uni and drink it, as I vary between campuses.
Original post by kumon
Great tips guys, do you recomend any foods I can blend and will make a calorific shake? So I can bring it to uni and drink it, as I vary between campuses.

Anything you like mate. Milk, banana, berries, olive oil, whey, oat powder, peanut butter, all sorts really. I'd recommend MyProtein Total Oats & Whey if you're after something very simple to take around.
Reply 16
Anything you like mate. Milk, banana, berries, olive oil, whey, oat powder, peanut butter, all sorts really. I'd recommend MyProtein Total Oats & Whey if you're after something very simple to take around.

I heard whey is just milk byproduct rubbish and gives you bloating :s-smilie:
How many calories would that oilive oil oats etc make? :biggrin:
Can you replace this for full solid meals? I obvisly will still eat meals, but less.
Original post by kumon
I heard whey is just milk byproduct rubbish and gives you bloating :s-smilie:
How many calories would that oilive oil oats etc make? :biggrin:
Can you replace this for full solid meals? I obvisly will still eat meals, but less.

You heard wrong :wink: Whey is a perfectly useful source of protein, and you won't find many bodybuilders, physique competitors and so on that don't use whey to top up their protein intake. Some people don't digest certain types of whey as well as others and you might have to try a few brands before you find one that agrees with you though. The MP Oats & Whey is very kind to my stomach personally.

Depends how much you put in mate :lol: You can look on the packaging of whatever you're using for the nutritional values, measure out how much you're using and calculate it all. Though, generally, a tablespoon of olive oil is about 130kcal. These shakes can be filling and can be used as a food replacement, both factors depend what you put in it. If you have bananas and oats (as I said, I prefer powdered as it mixes miles better) then it'll fill you up as well as any meal would. I find these kinds of things perfect if I've been sick and I'm recovering but struggling to eat still.
Reply 18
You heard wrong :wink: Whey is a perfectly useful source of protein, and you won't find many bodybuilders, physique competitors and so on that don't use whey to top up their protein intake. Some people don't digest certain types of whey as well as others and you might have to try a few brands before you find one that agrees with you though. The MP Oats & Whey is very kind to my stomach personally.

Depends how much you put in mate :lol: You can look on the packaging of whatever you're using for the nutritional values, measure out how much you're using and calculate it all. Though, generally, a tablespoon of olive oil is about 130kcal. These shakes can be filling and can be used as a food replacement, both factors depend what you put in it. If you have bananas and oats (as I said, I prefer powdered as it mixes miles better) then it'll fill you up as well as any meal would. I find these kinds of things perfect if I've been sick and I'm recovering but struggling to eat still.

Ok i'll try this out :biggrin: And wow at 130k from just one spoon damn! I can drink that **** haha, but will it make gains? :gah:

Does peanut butter give you spots? It did for me and made my skin oily :s-smilie:
Does the same apply for olive oil?

No he heard right you are wrong, whey protein in powder is actually a waste product of milk because body builders will buy just about anything to get bigger.

Protein supplements are unnecessary and unhealthy

Quick Reply

Latest