The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kxthespeck
Hi! I'm just curious, why is it that Singaporeans won't have to pay? I'm actually Singaporean and struggling to find funding to go to Oxford.

I thought the Singaporean government pays tuition even for those students who decide to study abroad?
Original post by Chlorophile
Is it possible to get feedback on your interview performance?

I think the most you'll receive is your score and a short comment saying that you've done extremely well to get an offer, rather than specific/detailed feedback :smile:
Original post by EvasiveRose
I think the most you'll receive is your score and a short comment saying that you've done extremely well to get an offer, rather than specific/detailed feedback :smile:

Okay, thanks. To be honest, I think I probably won't - ignorance is bliss!

I had the same thought. Although it only lasted two days before my curiosity got the better of me and I found myself emailing to find out how I managed to get an offer :biggrin:

A belated Congratulations on your offer for Earth Sciences too!
I had the same thought. Although it only lasted two days before my curiosity got the better of me and I found myself emailing to find out how I managed to get an offer :biggrin:

A belated Congratulations on your offer for Earth Sciences too!

Thanks! Did you get any feedback?

Don't be a knob and ask for feedback after getting an offer :facepalm:
Original post by Noble.
Don't be a knob and ask for feedback after getting an offer :facepalm:

Plenty of people who seem to be doing that at Cambridge to no bad effect... I'm not going to do that but I don't see why it's being a "knob". Interviews are a very confusing experience, I don't see what's so bad about wanting to know what went well and what didn't.
Plenty of people who seem to be doing that at Cambridge to no bad effect... I'm not going to do that but I don't see why it's being a "knob". Interviews are a very confusing experience, I don't see what's so bad about wanting to know what went well and what didn't.

I'm not saying don't do it because it'll have a bad effect (although I know several tutors who hate having to give any kind of feedback to successful applicants) it's just pretty nonsensical asking "How did I do?" when you've got an offer, especially because the feedback you get is unlikely to be specific enough to tell you where you didn't do so well. Also because, generally, interviews aren't structured in a way you can easily pinpoint where someone does badly - you are expected to struggle with some things, and in a lot of respects this is better than having a flawless interview (although a flawless interview is usually at the fault of the interviewer).

Also, this is completely forgetting about the fact that most feedback is just generic nonsense and actually tells you very little.
Original post by Noble.
I'm not saying don't do it because it'll have a bad effect (although I know several tutors who hate having to give any kind of feedback to successful applicants) it's just pretty nonsensical asking "How did I do?" when you've got an offer, especially because the feedback you get is unlikely to be specific enough to tell you where you didn't do so well. Also because, generally, interviews aren't structured in a way you can easily pinpoint where someone does badly - you are expected to struggle with some things, and in a lot of respects this is better than having a flawless interview (although a flawless interview is usually at the fault of the interviewer).

Also, this is completely forgetting about the fact that most feedback is just generic nonsense and actually tells you very little.

Thank you. It would have been nicer if you could have said this without calling me a knob first though.
Thank you. It would have been nicer if you could have said this without calling me a knob first though.

I didn't call you a knob, I warned you against becoming one :lol:
Original post by Noble.
I didn't call you a knob, I warned you against becoming one :lol:

Well thank you for the knob-prevention advice!
Original post by danniegee
I have an offer for French and Philosophy at St John's - AAA including French :smile:

Philosophy & Mod. Lang here too! I got an offer to read Philosophy & Spanish at Somerville :smile:
Original post by anonlad
Although I'm v proud of myself I can't help but feel disappointed that everyone I befriended at Ox during interviews weren't made offers

Same here, was a bit of an awkward chat as well. :/
Thanks! Did you get any feedback?

Yes I did. My school found it helpful to see whether the extra help they gave paid off with all the Oxbridge applicants
Yes I did. My school found it helpful to see whether the extra help they gave paid off with all the Oxbridge applicants

Did it? Our school gave us quite a bit of help in terms of interview advice but to be honest I don't think any of it helped in the interview.
Original post by MiraAdler
Same here, was a bit of an awkward chat as well. :/

:frown:(

My friend also didn't get into Cambridge despite being the smartest guy in school, just hope he's not going to be bitter about it
Original post by robinleach
Course: Maths
College: Somerville
Outcome: Offer made! A*A*A
How you feel: Intensely chuffed, I was not expecting this at all! Also super happy because several of my friends also got offers from Oxford!

Philosophy & Spanish at Somerville! :smile: Was Somerville your first choice?
Original post by anonlad
:frown:(

My friend also didn't get into Cambridge despite being the smartest guy in school, just hope he's not going to be bitter about it

Yeah that's tough...loads of super clever people don't get in though so I guess he's in good company x)
I read some articles about people having like 7 A*s at A-Level and getting rejected...
Original post by anonlad
Although I'm v proud of myself I can't help but feel disappointed that everyone I befriended at Ox during interviews weren't made offers

There was one guy who I kept bumping into (he was at UNIQ, my Imperial interview, my Southampton interview and at Oxford too) and I'd like to know if he got in (probably did, he sounded very intelligent). Won't know until October though!
Did it? Our school gave us quite a bit of help in terms of interview advice but to be honest I don't think any of it helped in the interview.

No- it wasn't very helpful. But my school doesn't usually send more than 2 students a year to Oxford so I kind of understand that they don't have a lot of experience with advice and prep. I found it more helpful researching and preparing for my aptitude tests and interviews on my own though, so in a way my schools lack of help was a good thing

Latest

Trending

Trending