The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Right wingers on immigration... Nah mate

Britain once saw itself as the mother of the modern world, having 1/3 of the world under its empire. Don't blame the children who are coming back to the motherland. Why are you supporting the very same queen that has caused this issue? I say this because most right wingers are very anti immigration and nationalistic towards the very same Queen that due to her allowed invasions of a third of the world has allowed immigration to become a big issue. I'm not saying I want all the immigrants of former colonies to come to this country, infact I think immigration needs to be controlled, but what I am saying is how can you expect to own 1/3 of the world a century ago and not expect consequences. I suppose this is mainly for the anti immigration and specifically pro monarchy right wingers.
Bump
No one alive today was responsible for what happened back then. Why should the current population suffer for the sins of their fathers?

Also how was Elizabeth II responsible for any of the British empire?
Reply 3
Well less than half of immigrants are actually from the old empire.

Personally I actually support immigration around current levels from a pool of around a billion people. I just want them from Europe, the Anglosphere and developed Asia instead rather than the third world.
I don't mind immigration at all. It think it is a good idea. However we need to be more selective about those who gain access. We need people who are going to bring something the country rather than take away. Basically skilled and professional labour. We already have plenty of unskilled people looking for work, the market is saturated.
Original post by DiddyDec
I don't mind immigration at all. It think it is a good idea. However we need to be more selective about those who gain access. We need people who are going to bring something the country rather than take away. Basically skilled and professional labour. We already have plenty of unskilled people looking for work, the market is saturated.

Exactly. We have too many Eastern Europeans most of whom are builders or cleaners etc. We don't need these people who are doing cheap labour jobs.
Reply 6
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Because I'm not responsible for what my great grandfather may or may not have done.

This.

OP, how am I at fault for what my ancestors might have done? Nobody in this generation or the one directly behind it can be blamed for colonialism.
you realise that formerly owning colonies doesn't mean countries *have* to have open immigration from those former colonies.
Germans had and still have to pay jews reperations for their ancestors, and this country has to take in immigrants from countries they have messed up. Obviously not Eastern Europe but like colonies such as India,Burma etc. say if a Burmese man was a victim of british colaonialism- e.g. The british destroyed his village- do you think he has a right to come to britain?
Reply 9
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Don't blame the children who are coming back to the motherland.
Using Office of National Statistics data, from 2007 to 2011 the numbers were typically:

Eastern Europe (never part of the Empire) : 85,000 per year
EU (never part of the Empire) : 90,000 per year
Commonwealth (the Empire) : 180,000 per year
Other (never part of the Empire) : 310,000 per year

So, coming home to the motherland: 180,000 = 27%
Wanting Britain as a new motherland: 485,000 = 73%

It appears your assumptions were wrong. You may wish to check your facts in future.
Germans had and still have to pay jews reperations for their ancestors, and this country has to take in immigrants from countries they have messed up. Obviously not Eastern Europe but like colonies such as India,Burma etc. say if a Burmese man was a victim of british colaonialism- e.g. The british destroyed his village- do you think he has a right to come to britain?

No. Did any of the current residence of Britain destroy his village?

The people of Britain owe him nothing.
Original post by Simes
Using Office of National Statistics data, from 2007 to 2011 the numbers were typically:

Eastern Europe (never part of the Empire) : 85,000 per year
EU (never part of the Empire) : 90,000 per year
Commonwealth (the Empire) : 180,000 per year
Other (never part of the Empire) : 310,000 per year

So, coming home to the motherland: 180,000 = 27%
Wanting Britain as a new motherland: 485,000 = 73%

It appears your assumptions were wrong. You may wish to check your facts in future.

I don't know what 'others' are, but judging from your classifications, the numbers are not what you think they are.

Parts of the European Union, including France, the Netherlands, and Belgium were all at one point in some ways ruled by the same monarch as England was. If you consider immigrants from those countries, the number probably would look very different. There obviously also the obvious - Ireland, which is now a part of the EU and was ruled by England. There's also that part of Germany right after WWII.

There are countries in the Commonwealth which were never a part of the Empire, so you'd need to take them away; whilst at the same time there were countries a part of the Empire but either left or were never a Commonwealth member state. This includes Hong Kong, but mostly importantly America (where I'd imagine has lots of immigrants coming into the UK per year).
Reply 12
Original post by clh_hilary
the numbers are not what you think they are.
It's a 3:1 ratio disproving the OP's point.

The link is there to the source of the raw data. Go and work it out for yourself and report back with your findings.
Original post by Simes
It's a 3:1 ratio disproving the OP's point.

The link is there to the source of the raw data. Go and work it out for yourself and report back with your findings.

Nothing you posted disproved it because you didn't realise what were a part of the Empire and what were not.

It is really your responsibility to support your claim, not mine. I supported my claim that your 'evidence' was wrong by telling you the mere fact that you did not considered America, Hong Kong, Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, etc parts of the Empire when they were; whilst counting some Commonwealth countries which were never a part of it.

You didn't link to a specific document so I don't know which one you're referring to, and I don't have time to go through every single one of them. But the 'country of last residence' one didn't provide data for any of the countries mentioned except for America.

I don't know what rock you have been hiding under over the last few years but it is common knowledge that the UK gives billions (£11.5 billion annually I believe now) to the third world every year and has been doing for years, second only to the U.S. This is not reparations but money we give to aid countries from that region who need it (though it is debatable that we should be giving money to say India who have a space program etc).
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending