The Student Room Group

Should I take CHEMISTRY for A-Level?

I am a student currently in Year 11 and for my A-Levels, I want to choose:
* Mathematics (maybe)
* Economics
* Biology
(and either Chemistry or Psychology)

It may sound silly, but I'm not quite sure which what I want to be in the future, yet. With these subjects, what are my options.

I hated Science throughout the whole of Secondary School and always received low levels until Year 11 when I started to take an interest in Science. For my mock Chemistry exam; I got an A*. However, I've heard that Chemistry is a hard-A level. Should I take it? And do you need Mathematics in order to study Science at uni?

Additionally, A-levels are changing for the 2015 students, how would that work?:confused:

Thanks in advance. :biggrin::smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by taylortron99
I am a student currently in Year 11 and for my A-Levels, I want to choose:
* Mathematics (maybe)
* Economics
* Biology
(and either Chemistry or Psychology)

It may sound silly, but I'm not quite sure which what I want to be in the future, yet. With these subjects, what are my options.

I hated Science throughout the whole of Secondary School and always received low levels until Year 11 when I started to take an interest in Science. For my mock Chemistry exam; I got an A*. However, I've heard that Chemistry is a hard-A level. Should I take it? And do you need Mathematics in order to study Science at uni?

Additionally, A-levels are changing for the 2015 students, how would take work?:confused:

Thanks in advance. :biggrin::smile:

* if you want to go into any Economics degree you'll need Maths
* if you want to go into any Chemistry degree you'll need Maths
* if you want to go into any Biology degree you'll need Chemistry (most of the time)

Take : Economics/Biology/Chemistry/Maths and you'll have a lot of options open to you. Including medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MrJAKEE
* if you want to go into any Economics degree you'll need Maths
* if you want to go into any Chemistry degree you'll need Maths
* if you want to go into any Biology degree you'll need Chemistry (most of the time)

Take : Economics/Biology/Chemistry/Maths and you'll have a lot of options open to you. Including medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.
Reply 3
Chemistry is great!! I did the three sciences and maths at AS and dropped physics for A2 (which I'm currently doing A2) and chemistry is my favourite subject by far! :smile: If you want to do any sort of science subject, maths will help a lot and doing atleast two sciences will also help. A lot of unis seem to decrease an offer by a grade if you're doing two sciences/maths rather than just the one. If you're looking for a science degree I mean :smile: If you're not looking for a science degree then the sciences and maths are great a levels because they show you can be logical, handle data and analyse data efficiently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest