The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

equivalent to A level Maths

Are the modules MU123 Discovering Mathematics, MST124 and MST125, Essential Mathematics 1 & 2 equivalent to an A level in maths?

Im going to study Civil Engineering, the entry requirements at my local uni are 120 UCAS points from one A level preffably maths and two GCSE's at grade C. Would 120 credits from a CertHE be equivalent to 120 UCAS points assuming the above modules would be accepted as an A level, if not would I have to study level 2 modules.

I emailed my local uni and they said your Open University credits will likely be accepted.

cheers :smile:
Email all the universities you want to apply to and ask them, nobody here will know. OU credits are completely different to UCAS credits, by the way. If your local uni has said they are an acceptable alternative to A level maths, and you want to go to that uni, you already have your answer.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Email all the universities you want to apply to and ask them, nobody here will know. OU credits are completely different to UCAS credits, by the way. If your local uni has said they are an acceptable alternative to A level maths, and you want to go to that uni, you already have your answer.

I want to know if the three modules I mentioned are the same as an A level?
Original post by Mauritius99
I want to know if the three modules I mentioned are the same as an A level?

Nobody here can tell you that.
Reply 4
I would say that, judging by the material covered, that it would be reasonable for a university to accept MST124 + MST125 in lieu of A level maths. But that's not to say they will. You'll have to email the universities in question and ask them what they're willing to accept.
MU123 is actually equivalent to GCSE maths. Meanwhile, most of the MST124 and MST125 material is fairly equivalent to Maths and Further Maths at A-Level. But bear in mind that there is certain material they won't contain. For instance, they won't teach you any statistics (S1 or S2 equivalent), as that can be found in a separate module - M140. Also, you only get minimal mechanics (M1/M2 equivalent, no further).

I can tell you that as somebody who has been studying MST124, MST125 and M140 this academic year and did Maths and Further Maths at A-Level a couple of years ago.

But as somebody else mentioned, you should really contact your uni of choice to make sure they will accept those credits.
Hi, did you feel then that there was no value in studying MST124 and MST125 for you, having studied Further Math at Alevels and wouldn't be anything new for someone who has studied it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending