The Student Room Group

GCSE History CA

Hi,

I'm about to do my last history controlled assessment (the one with the three representations) and I'm a bit worried. Anyone got any tips on how to achieve an A* on it (preferably 20/20)? Thanks.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Which exam board is it?

You can check the Specification which will probably contain a generic mark scheme.

Adapt this mark scheme to your specific question and develop practise answers in response to this.

Check with your teacher to make sure you're on the right lines.

Full Marks in coursework is key to your overall A*.

You'll be fine.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there!
I just did my final part of my coursework (Vietnam) and got 18/20. I think that is just about an A*.

Here's how I did it:
Start off with an introduction. Introduce the reps without going in to too much detail or answering the question. Say that you will base your judgement on accuracy, objectivity and completeness (stated below!)

As for the main body, there are 3 main points you need to talk about...:

Accuracy - how accurate can the source be? Keep in mind the date that the source was created in and expand.

Objectivity - Does it show only one point of view or more than one? You can link this to accuracy if you so wish.

Completeness - Does it show the whole picture? For example during Vietnam does the source only mention one group that protested against it. If so, it isn't very complete.

Make sure when analysing and picking apart the source you use your own knowledge in every paragraph. For example after analysing a source that only mentions one group of people that protested, you can then say: "From my own knowledge I can tell that it wasn't just black people that protested against the war. I know that others did too such as hippies, students and parents..." make sure you expand on it too!

And to finish it off, state which rep is the best with regards to accuracy, objectivity and completeness (as well as your own knowledge!) and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Good luck! 😁
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by Darkstar_rising
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there!
I just did my final part of my coursework (Vietnam) and got 18/20. I think that is just about an A*.

Here's how I did it:
Start off with an introduction. Introduce the reps without going in to too much detail or answering the question. Say that you will base your judgement on accuracy, objectivity and completeness (stated below!)

As for the main body, there are 3 main points you need to talk about...:

Accuracy - how accurate can the source be? Keep in mind the date that the source was created in and expand.

Objectivity - Does it show only one point of view or more than one? You can link this to accuracy if you so wish.

Completeness - Does it show the whole picture? For example during Vietnam does the source only mention one group that protested against it. If so, it isn't very complete.

Make sure when analysing and picking apart the source you use your own knowledge in every paragraph. For example after analysing a source that only mentions one group of people that protested, you can then say: "From my own knowledge I can tell that it wasn't just black people that protested against the war. I know that others did too such as hippies, students and parents..." make sure you expand on it too!

And to finish it off, state which rep is the best with regards to accuracy, objectivity and completeness (as well as your own knowledge!) and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Good luck! 😁

What does objectivity actually mean?

What factors should I consider when determining how objective the source is or not?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393
What does objectivity actually mean?

What factors should I consider when determining how objective the source is or not?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Secondary sources or primary sources. Whether they are reliable or biased.
Reply 7
Original post by German123
Secondary sources or primary sources. Whether they are reliable or biased.

Thanks. When Im talking about accuracy, do I have to prove accurate information as well as disprove inaccurate ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really, just think about who produced the source and why they produced the source (what was their motive/purpose). Then decide whether you can trust it based on this information.
Thanks. When Im talking about accuracy, do I have to prove accurate information as well as disprove inaccurate ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would think so. Like lets say you have a source from the 90s stating about something that happened in the 70s you could say that the source may be inaccurate because the event happened in the 70s and someone is writing it in the 90s -the time period is to long for a normal perosn to remember what happened about 15-20 years ago thus it may be bias aswell.
Reply 10
I would think so. Like lets say you have a source from the 90s stating about something that happened in the 70s you could say that the source may be inaccurate because the event happened in the 70s and someone is writing it in the 90s -the time period is to long for a normal perosn to remember what happened about 15-20 years ago thus it may be bias aswell.

Thanks. How should I go about comparing the sources?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. How should I go about comparing the sources?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should ask your teacher or someone on here who currently does History for GCSE or A level and knows the subject quiet well tbh. The thing is i did my History GCSE last year and hardly remember anything let alone what to write on the coursework.
Reply 12
You should ask your teacher or someone on here who currently does History for GCSE or A level and knows the subject quiet well tbh. The thing is i did my History GCSE last year and hardly remember anything let alone what to write on the coursework.

Ok thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck:smile:
Reply 14
Good luck:smile:

Thanks 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: