The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
Pastafarianism is not incoherent nonsense. It's coherent.

thats what makes it a good satire; because its just as logically consistent.
Original post by TorpidPhil
80% of analytic philosophers are atheist though. Pretty sure statistically western scientists are similar. Philosophers would of course be the ones one should trust here more so than the scientists though. Science tends not to lend itself very well to answering such questions. Although it does, of course, aid in answering them.

I think science alone is more capable of leading us to an answer than philosophy.
Original post by IWantToBeThere
I think science alone is more capable of leading us to an answer than philosophy.

You obviously misunderstand the nature of philosophy then because philosophy is science and so much more - no serious western philosopher fails to place great value on modern scientific findings and empirical evidence in general.
You obviously misunderstand the nature of philosophy then because philosophy is science and so much more - no serious western philosopher fails to place great value on modern scientific findings and empirical evidence in general.

Who wouldn't acknowledge scientific findings?
I think philosophy can become so abstract that its conclusions might not be reliable. I mean, some people can give your an argument for the existence of god based on abstract terms and logic.
Plus, I think maybe philosophy has more potential for being misguided by common sense.
Original post by dead sheep eater
thats what makes it a good satire; because its just as logically consistent.

1. It's not satire.

2. It's not 'just as 'logically consistent'. It is legitimately, actually, logically consistent.

Most religions like christianity are filled up contradictions and stuff, Pastafarian does not. It's as logically consistent as agnosticism is.
Reply 85
Science is a branch of philosophy, the hands-on experimental end.
I don't believe in God because of the lack of evidence available to verify his existence.
Who wouldn't acknowledge scientific findings?
I think philosophy can become so abstract that its conclusions might not be reliable. I mean, some people can give your an argument for the existence of god based on abstract terms and logic.
Plus, I think maybe philosophy has more potential for being misguided by common sense.

When you study philosophy of science you'll realise that science has a problem with making assumptions for no reason just because it goes in accordance with common sense. But this discussion is too esoteric if you haven't studied philosophy of science so it's a bit pointless...
Reply 88
There is no God. The people who believe in God are just so gullible, cos the Bible is so inconsistent and sexist. Anyway I thought by now everyone would realize that there is no supreme being and that science is how the universe was created. :adore: worship is so stupid anyway, why waste time asking things to empty air and sort out your own problems by yourself, instead of waiting for someone else to sort them out. :unimpressed:
When you study philosophy of science you'll realise that science has a problem with making assumptions for no reason just because it goes in accordance with common sense. But this discussion is too esoteric if you haven't studied philosophy of science so it's a bit pointless...

Of course science makes assumptions, but it also develops theories that might be contradictory to common-sense that philosophy alone would never think of them. In fact, I think maybe science leads now, and philosophy utilizes its findings.
Do you agree with the rest of my other post about philosophy being abstract?
I'm Agnostic because I believe humans could never truly know whether God/s do or don't exist
I hope Gods do exist, it would make things much more interesting
But if you define God as "all-powerful" then its pretty scary how s/he/it condones all the suffering in this world :biggrin:
Even if there was a "good" God I wouldn't worship it :rolleyes: Equality and all that :colone:
I think so
Reply 92
God isn't an old bearded man, sitting on a cloud. He is in us, he is in every living thing.
Reply 93
Original post by NHM713
God isn't an old bearded man, sitting on a cloud. He is in us
Oo, yuck! Now that's REALLY creepy!

(But it does explain the catholic priests' behaviour.…)
Of course science makes assumptions, but it also develops theories that might be contradictory to common-sense that philosophy alone would never think of them. In fact, I think maybe science leads now, and philosophy utilizes its findings.
Do you agree with the rest of my other post about philosophy being abstract?

This is pointless as as another poster has already said science IS a part of philosophy. What we typically refer to as analytic philosopher comes both before and after science. It tells the scientists how to go about getting results, the scientists goes and gets the results, then the philosophy interprets and applies to meaning of the results. The two go completely hand and in hand and without the other both would be meaningless, this is because there is no "real" distinction. Science is a part of the philosophical method. Philosophical method just being the way to identify truth.

It's like how scientists do a study to see how there is a correlation with fat intake in a diet and heart disease. Great, the "scientists" told us what the data is, but science doesn't in anyway tell us how to interpret such data, it's meaning in correspondence with reality and so on. That's philosophy, nothing in the "scientific" method lets you do that. If you say it does then meta-physics becomes truly indifferentiable from normal physics.
Reply 95
At school, when doing A Level Applied Maths and A Level Pure Mathematics, we worked out biology is Applied Chemistry and chemistry is Applied Physics.

So I was amused by the relationship between the sciences according to xkcd.

Well, by my reckoning, the philosophy of each of the sciences exists between each science, and Philosophy itself is to the right of the picture and extends as far to the right as your imagination can take you.

Edit: and I think Logisticians are between the Mathematicians and the Philosophers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Simes
Oo, yuck! Now that's REALLY creepy!

(But it does explain the catholic priests' behaviour.…)

Your the one with the dirty mind, everything open to interpretation, but, we both know what I meant...and you didn't quote me fully.

What does God have to do, with what we have learnt, certain Catholic Priests have been up to?
This is pointless as as another poster has already said science IS a part of philosophy. What we typically refer to as analytic philosopher comes both before and after science. It tells the scientists how to go about getting results, the scientists goes and gets the results, then the philosophy interprets and applies to meaning of the results. The two go completely hand and in hand and without the other both would be meaningless, this is because there is no "real" distinction. Science is a part of the philosophical method. Philosophical method just being the way to identify truth.

It's like how scientists do a study to see how there is a correlation with fat intake in a diet and heart disease. Great, the "scientists" told us what the data is, but science doesn't in anyway tell us how to interpret such data, it's meaning in correspondence with reality and so on. That's philosophy, nothing in the "scientific" method lets you do that. If you say it does then meta-physics becomes truly indifferentiable from normal physics.

Look, I'm not saying that philosophy doesn't contribute to humans intellectually. But I've come to believe that we're more indebted to science in our understanding of ourselves and things around us. Maybe it's because of my physics background, but if you think of e.g. relativity or quantum mechanics, I don't think philosophy alone would have ever thought about some of the things contradictory to common sense that can be found in those theories. I also don't think that the scientists who developed those theories, or Darwin, or any one else would go to a philosopher saying "We've got this theory (as the 'data'). Tell us what it means!"
And I'm looking at things thinking of what a scientist does vs what a philosopher does, not from the point of view that they come hand in hand, or the influence of philosophy in scientific method, etc.
Reply 98
I think you might both be arguing at crossed purposes.

I also don't think that the scientists who developed those theories, or Darwin, or any one else would go to a philosopher saying "We've got this theory (as the 'data'). Tell us what it means!"
Darwin was a natural philosopher.

Get advanced enough in your science and you get given a PhD which is a doctorate in ... philosophy.

There are the philosophers who do the big questions: why are we here? Where does morality come from? What is consciousness? I think you mean these level of philosophy.

Then each science has a range of people from field or bench or lab scientists doing experiments, through their professors or lab managers, to the philosophers of that field.

Einstein was a philosopher: he did not do experiments in the lab. He sat on his bum and thought stuff up. But he was a physicist.

The bloke in chemistry who had the dream about the snake biting its tail and solved the benzene ring problem - he was a philosopher of chemistry.

These philosophers of their sciences are the ones coming up with the likes of string theory or multiverses. They don't prove anything, except by logic or mathematics. What follows is someone in a white coat who says "Hang on, I can think of an experiment to test that..." and off they go.

Does that help?
Yes. I believe in God but if there is Heaven and Hell i doubt God's going to put you in hell just because you go to a church instead of a mosque or vice versa. Religion makes people way too dramatic. It's quite simple if you think about it.

Intentions and who you are as a person matters. I'm so tired of 'My God is bigger than your God' and 'There is no God' conversations. We have a conscience and the ability to differentiate between right and wrong. To me, that's enough.

But this is just my opinion as a kid so...

Quick Reply

Latest