The Student Room Group

Dropping EPQ

Hello guys, I was wondering whether it would be valid to drop the EPQ in my scenario. Currently I have applied to university for Economics and have got places at LSE, UCL, Notts and Queen Marys, rejected by cambridge. I dont feel the EPQ is worth doing anymore and i want to drop it but i dont know the full implications this will have on my university offers. Ive put the EPQ down on UCAS and it was in my PS as a short sentence. Thanks in advance
Hello,
If you said to me that you didn't include EPQ on UCAS or your personal statement I would have said drop it and focus on your A levels/Btecs etc.
But as you have included it, universities might expect you to finish this of. And this may also be another turning point which might have got you into a university over another candidate.
Reply 2
Original post by darkdrifter10
Hello guys, I was wondering whether it would be valid to drop the EPQ in my scenario. Currently I have applied to university for Economics and have got places at LSE, UCL, Notts and Queen Marys, rejected by cambridge. I dont feel the EPQ is worth doing anymore and i want to drop it but i dont know the full implications this will have on my university offers. Ive put the EPQ down on UCAS and it was in my PS as a short sentence. Thanks in advance

you have to do it xxx
If you email your universities and ask then it should be ok for you to drop it. One might come back and say you have to do it or give you a higher offer without it, but in general I doubt they'd have a problem with you dropping it if you give decent reasons (so not 'I can't be bothered any more' or something!) :smile: If you then did drop it I think you'd have to email UCAS too and they'll change it on your application for you, but I'd do the individual unis first if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
If it's not part of your offer (which for LSE and UCL it shouldn't be), I don't thinks there's much they can do. Of course double check with your UCAS coordinator and get their thoughts as well - consider carrying on with it though, whilst the qualification itself isn't particularly useful it's fantastic to bring up in interviews if you end up trying to get work experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or actually dark drifter, if it's not part of the offer, keep yourself enrolled on the EPQ course, and just don't attend any of the classes/submit a portfolio?

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Double check with your universities that it's okay for you to drop it
- If they say yes, email [email protected] to get it taken off your application
- Email universities again to confirm that your application has changed and you are no longer doing EPQ

If none of your offers include an EPQ grade, then it's unlikely they'll withdraw their offer, but be aware they are within their rights to do so.
If you drop it and don't tell the universities, they could withdraw your offer on results day, even if you meet the offer.
Can I just call the universities asking what the implication may be if i decide to drop it or may that be to forward?
Original post by darkdrifter10
Can I just call the universities asking what the implication may be if i decide to drop it or may that be to forward?

There's nothing wrong with doing so, but if you get an email you have written proof of their decision (although I doubt they'd go back on anything they say over the phone)

Quick Reply

Latest