The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DianaOj
Aahahahaha being one of the few members of my family who keeps to any sort of deadline, I'm pretty much immune to late responses :P Oh best of luck at Bucks.

City wasn't so bad. The maths test was about 45 minutes. It was multiple choice and we were allowed a calculator. The questions were mainly KS3 stuff. The english assessment was also 45 minutes and partly multiple choice. For the first part we had to choose a word to complete the sentences (I had on of those bizzare moments where non of the choices given for about three questions sounded right to me at all! >.<). The second part was also multiple choice but we had to read an article and the questions were based on that. The final part was an essay question 'Why have you decided to study this course'. Then we were given an aptitude test which lasted 40 minutes I think. There were four scenarios given and we had to write short paragraphs on what our most likely actions would be. All in all it wasn't so bad, and it was quite relaxed.

West London was an even more comfortable experience! The head of admissions (all staff actually) was really nice and friendly, trying to put us at ease prior our assessments which was lovely :smile: . For the english we were given an article via email and all we had to do was summarise what we read, without any notes. The maths again was not to difficult if you use the snap website. Calculators were used/given and we had 30 minutes but most finished before that. The only down said I would say was the time constraints for the english! 20 minutes to sum up an 11 paragraph article!

I might be being daft (King's is one of my choices after all! :colondollar:) but I have no idea what my first choice is, I would just love to have offers from all of them then I can rack my brain over which one to pick.

I so wish I applied for Nottingham! I really liked the university... but I'm such a Londoner I don't want to move to far out >.<'

Hahaha! Thank you (:

Ah sounds reasonable - have you had any responses from them?

Yeah I want to stay in London too, that's why I've applied to 3 London unis. 100% due to the facilities in London for nursing students.
Hiya everyone
For those using using snap to practice maths are you doing level 1 or 2 and clinical or non clinical? It's so confusing too many options!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherrytrueman95
This whole UCAS thing has definitely brought out the worst in me, I've no fingernails left XD I'm almost tempted to do my firm and insurance soon, but I really want to consider Bournemouth more, yet all the uncertainty is killing me!!!!! I'm still waiting to hear back from Kings College London too, with an interview on Saturday for Southampton... :/

Where else have you applied to?

How funny, I've got my selection day at Southampton on Saturday too. Mines at 9.00am. Super nervous and excited! X
Original post by EloiseN9
Hahaha! Thank you (:

Ah sounds reasonable - have you had any responses from them?

Yeah I want to stay in London too, that's why I've applied to 3 London unis. 100% due to the facilities in London for nursing students.

No worries, glad to help out :smile:

Nope -.-' It's just a matter of crossing my fingers & toes and waiting.
Yeah I agree. And the placements too was a big factor for me. I've heard some horrible stories about outside London nursing placements in terms of distance..
Hi :smile:
Does anyone know good questions to ask at the end of the interview I have no clue what to ask, any suggestions would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by BellaPembers
How funny, I've got my selection day at Southampton on Saturday too. Mines at 9.00am. Super nervous and excited! X

Mine's at 11... I really don't feel prepared enough...
Mine's at 11... I really don't feel prepared enough...

I thought there was only two on Saturday. At 9 and 1. I must have read it wrong.

I'm nervous about maths test. I'm hoping its gcse type stuff x
Original post by BellaPembers
I thought there was only two on Saturday. At 9 and 1. I must have read it wrong.

I'm nervous about maths test. I'm hoping its gcse type stuff x

You made me doubt myself there haha! Nope it is 11...

I wish it was more like Medicine, where you just do it once and then everyone gets the score... having to do it over and over is so much pressure!
Original post by janec1
Hi :smile:
Does anyone know good questions to ask at the end of the interview I have no clue what to ask, any suggestions would be much appreciated! :smile:

Hey there, this is the part were I really get stuck too! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DianaOj
No worries, glad to help out :smile:

Nope -.-' It's just a matter of crossing my fingers & toes and waiting.
Yeah I agree. And the placements too was a big factor for me. I've heard some horrible stories about outside London nursing placements in terms of distance..

Im sure you'll be fine! The nursing application process is very long & it's a waiting game for all the applicants. But I reckon it'll be worth it :P

Yeah exactly! Experience through placements in London are exceptional!!
Original post by ollynicky
Hey there, this is the part were I really get stuck too! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so annoying :frown: i'm so stuck I don't want to ask something over used and my interviews next week :frown:
I have my interview for Southampton on Saturday at 1 - I feel confident but at the same time I feel so under-prepared, I've read over the documents they've asked us to read - the thought of it makes me very anxious!

It seems a few of us have interviews on Saturday with 3 sessions - best of luck guys, it's a great uni and it will be quite amazing if I manage to secure an offer at the end.

Still waiting on Nottingham and the Uni of Edinburgh to see whether I'll be invited for interview - exciting but nervy times!
Original post by Hero-H
I have my interview for Southampton on Saturday at 1 - I feel confident but at the same time I feel so under-prepared, I've read over the documents they've asked us to read - the thought of it makes me very anxious!

It seems a few of us have interviews on Saturday with 3 sessions - best of luck guys, it's a great uni and it will be quite amazing if I manage to secure an offer at the end.

Still waiting on Nottingham and the Uni of Edinburgh to see whether I'll be invited for interview - exciting but nervy times!

I'm concerned they're going to ask us really abstract things about it... I genuinely don't know what to expect... Good luck with your other two :smile:
Original post by janec1
It's so annoying :frown: i'm so stuck I don't want to ask something over used and my interviews next week :frown:

I'm exactly the same as during the interviews I always feel like they've went over everything! Good luck, weres your interview, is this your first one?
Original post by janec1

I found some good ones in a book on nursing interviews

-What support is in place for bereavement or situations where I may need an extension for a module?
-Are course materials mainly online or in paper format, is there a cost associated with this?
-How many people are in employment 6 months after they complete the course?
-What is the drop out rate for the course and what reasons do people give?
-What extra reading would you recommend before I start the course?
-(if applicable)... Would you recommend gaining voluntary experience before starting the course?
-(if applicable)... What support is in place for my learning difficulty/illness/disability?
-Is there the opportunity to go abroad or choose a placement?
-Why do you think I should choose this university over another?
I found some good ones in a book on nursing interviews

-What support is in place for bereavement or situations where I may need an extension for a module?
-Are course materials mainly online or in paper format, is there a cost associated with this?
-How many people are in employment 6 months after they complete the course?
-What is the drop out rate for the course and what reasons do people give?
-What extra reading would you recommend before I start the course?
-(if applicable)... Would you recommend gaining voluntary experience before starting the course?
-(if applicable)... What support is in place for my learning difficulty/illness/disability?
-Is there the opportunity to go abroad or choose a placement?
-Why do you think I should choose this university over another?

Thank you so much you are a life saver!!!x :biggrin:
Original post by ollynicky
I'm exactly the same as during the interviews I always feel like they've went over everything! Good luck, weres your interview, is this your first one?

Yea thats the way I feel to! Thank you, you to! And yea for bedfordshire, you? :smile:
Original post by janec1
Yea thats the way I feel to! Thank you, you to! And yea for bedfordshire, you? :smile:

Bless us! Thank you! And I've had Bradford and teesside up to know, have Huddersfield next month and still waiting to hear from my other 2! Have you heard from any more, or waiting on any more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by janec1
Thank you so much you are a life saver!!!x :biggrin:

No problems, glad to help :smile:
I've applied for Children's Nursing at:
- Sheffield Hallam (Unsuccessful)
- Huddersfield
- Leeds (Interview next month)
- York
- Northumbria (Interview next month)

Quick Reply

Latest