The Student Room Group

In the midst of the inevitable new wave of tabloid-induced Islamophobia....

Let's spare a brief moment to feel sad for Muslim police officer Ahmed Merabet. He was shot in the head while lying on the ground begging for mercy on the streets near Charlie Hebdo's office building. He had turned up to try to defend people.

Reply 1
100% support this.

Don't know who started this tweet, but I found it quite poignant.

I am not Charlie, I am Ahmed the dead cop. Charlie ridiculed my faith and culture and I died defending his right to do so. #JesuisAhmed
Rather sickening that lefties will use this poor man's life to silence debate and further their own political agenda.
(edited 9 years ago)
... No.

Let's feel sad for all the victims equally, including him.
I think it is appropriate to highlight this man's story.

As soon as something like this happens, you'll have the Islamaphobes (and TSR seems to have a fair few of them) running around saying rather unpleasant things about Islam. I think Ahmed's story goes a long way to underline the fact that what the Islamaphobes say is rubbish.
Original post by InnerTemple
I think it is appropriate to highlight this man's story.

As soon as something like this happens, you'll have the Islamaphobes (and TSR seems to have a fair few of them) running around saying rather unpleasant things about Islam. I think Ahmed's story goes a long way to underline the fact that what the Islamaphobes say is rubbish.

I just don't know what to believe anymore :frown:

On the one hand I've read the Quran and the Hadiths and their innumerable vitriolic verses instructing genocide, murder of apostates, arbitrary stoning of women and the eternal and violent war against nonbelievers.

And then I have InnerTemple of TSR who tells me, relying only on the wealth of his experience and his great wisdom and intuition, that Islam doesn't deserve 'unpleasant things' said about it.

Oh what a crisis I find myself in. What to believe???
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MC armani
I just don't know what to believe anymore :frown:

On the one hand I've read the Quran and the Hadiths and their innumerable vitriolic verses about genocide, murder of apostates, arbitrary stoning of women and the eternal and violent war against nonbelievers.

And then there is InnerTemple on TSR who tells me, relying only on the wealth of his experience and his great wisdom and intuition, that Islam doesn't deserve 'unpleasant things' said about it.

Oh what a crisis I find myself in. What to believe???

To be honest, it'll probably be easier for you to stick to bashing Islam. That kind of attitude doesn't require too much brain power.
Reply 7
Anti-Semitism is a far, far bigger threat than Islamophobia in France right now, and the number of Jews killed in hate crimes in comparison to Muslims demonstrates this.
Original post by Time Tourist
Rather sickening that lefties will use this poor man's life to silence debate and further their own political agenda.

The OP wasn't trying to silence debate or further a political agenda. He only suggested we take a brief moment. It's a shame you couldn't even manage that.
To be honest, it'll probably be easier for you to stick to bashing Islam. That kind of attitude doesn't require too much brain power.

Evidently neither does being constantly apologetic.

Not as easy as it is for you to carry on defending it. That kind of attitude doesn't require evidence or brain power. Double whammy.

And it's 'Islamophobia' ya twit.

I think you lose this one.
Original post by MC armani
Not as easy as it is for you to carry on defending it. That kind of attitude doesn't require evidence or brain power. Double whammy.

And it's 'Islamophobia' ya twit.

I think you lose this one.

I never thought it was about winning and losing. That's a little bit childish.

I wasn't aware that I had put forward a full defence of Islam.
I think it's poignant to remember Ahmed did not die defending the rights of the staff members to die, at least not in the way implied. It is, of course, sad he died. But he was not making a stand, nor was he voluntarily fighting for the rights of those that died. He was a police officer, with a duty. He died doing that duty, which is very commendable.

But it is a very different issue to why people have been using the hashtag/term #jesuischarlie. The magazine was threatened for what they did, but the staff members willingly chose to take a stand, and (alongside the others) died because of it. #jesuischarlie is in tribute to all those that were killed by these terrorists who were trying to stifle free speech.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The OP wasn't trying to silence debate or further a political agenda. He only suggested we take a brief moment. It's a shame you couldn't even manage that.

I have no idea what 'take a brief moment' means. The OP was clearly suggesting we draw further political implications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending