The Student Room Group

drop 4th A2?

I've been offered a place at bristol to study mechanical engineering, for AAA in maths, further maths and physics which i'm taking.
I'm also doing spanish however i'm considering dropping as I'd rather make sure i do well in the other three subjects, also i'm really not enjoying it at all, like even for the mock exam coming up i've been sick about it.

i've emailed bristol and they say dropping it won't affect my offer

however i'm worried it'll affect job prospects and stuff after, and theres loads of pressure from my family since my sisters did four A2 levels.

One of my sisters is making it out like getting an extra qualification in spanish (best case scenario a B, likely a C) is gonna make the difference between getting my dream job and not. But this seems unlikely haha since an A is pretty much out of the question so it seems pointless to me just doing an extra thing half heartedly while jeopardising my other grades.

so basically i'm just looking for other opinions

thanks!
Original post by 0beany0
I've been offered a place at bristol to study mechanical engineering, for AAA in maths, further maths and physics which i'm taking.
I'm also doing spanish however i'm considering dropping as I'd rather make sure i do well in the other three subjects, also i'm really not enjoying it at all, like even for the mock exam coming up i've been sick about it.

i've emailed bristol and they say dropping it won't affect my offer

however i'm worried it'll affect job prospects and stuff after, and theres loads of pressure from my family since my sisters did four A2 levels.

One of my sisters is making it out like getting an extra qualification in spanish (best case scenario a B, likely a C) is gonna make the difference between getting my dream job and not. But this seems unlikely haha since an A is pretty much out of the question so it seems pointless to me just doing an extra thing half heartedly while jeopardising my other grades.

so basically i'm just looking for other opinions

thanks!

I know what you mean about not liking it and it being the weakest out of all your subjects etc. But you have come this far with it, so you might as well carry on until the end now. It would be a shame to drop it at this late stage.
Plus it could always come in useful, say if you didnt get an A in one of your other subjects, your B or C in spanish could swing it for you. Whereas if you drop spanish and you dont get an A in one of your other subjects, then you have nothing to fall back on.
the thing is, bristol basically doesnt care about spanish at all, i just need 3 a's in the other subjects, so if i dont get an a in further maths (for example) a B/A in spanish won't mean a thing

i'm realy inclining toward dropping it as i haven't done much work for it for a2 this year anyways

Quick Reply

Latest