The Student Room Group

How can I succeed in A Level geography?

Hi,

I'm currently taking A Level geography; specifically, I am in my AS year doing the rivers, cold environments, population and health issues modules.

Could anyone enlighten me on how to get a very high UMS for AS (90% or above)? Any revision tips, such as answering 15 markers in physical and human geography?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sami
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sami13
Hi,

I'm currently taking A Level geography; specifically, I am in my AS year doing the rivers, cold environments, population and health issues modules.

Could anyone enlighten me on how to get a very high UMS for AS (90% or above)? Any revision tips, such as answering 15 markers in physical and human geography?

Thanks,

Sami

Hey I got just over 90% so hopefully I can help you out!
1. Use case studies even if they are not asked for asked for in the question.
2. Practise lots of past paper questions so you understand how to apply the knowledge you know e.g June 2014 paper was bitch for energy topic, so be ready to apply you knowledge like in science.
Ask a few more specific questions if you want/if you need help with your notes! It's late here and my rain cannot think of anything else to write without specific question lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hey!

Thanks for replying!!

On which paper can you pick up easy marks- unit 1 or unit 2(skills)?

Thanks

Sami
Just make sure you use as many case studies and examples as you can. But don't just throw one in for the sake of it. Learn a few and learn them really well. That way you can cherry pick the best ones for your answers. Also, make sure you justify your answers when you are writing the essay.
Reply 4
Original post by Sami13
Hi,

Thanks,

Sami

Hey i got 100% UMS in 3 geography A level modules.
I'd say make big mindmaps for each topic. Don't try to learn 50 different case studies try to find ones which cover as many points as possible and reuse them across the different topics as much as possible.
Mind maps and a few practice questions was basically my only revision for Geography, it could also be helpful to chat/ revise with someone who's in a different geography class as they may have discussed things your class didn't helping to broaden you perspective. I wouldn't venture too much outside you school though as you may confuse yourself over different case studies etc.
Oh also mark schemes and examiners reports show you exactly what the examiners are looking for so keep those close during revision.
You'll be surprised by how easy it is. Go look at the raw mark to UMS conversion, you don't need that many raw marks to get ahuge number of UMS marks.
Reply 5
Original post by sabrina2929
Just make sure you use as many case studies and examples as you can. But don't just throw one in for the sake of it. Learn a few and learn them really well. That way you can cherry pick the best ones for your answers. Also, make sure you justify your answers when you are writing the essay.

Thank you! The latter is of most use for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by em.d_4
Hey i got 100% UMS in 3 geography A level modules.
I'd say make big mindmaps for each topic. Don't try to learn 50 different case studies try to find ones which cover as many points as possible and reuse them across the different topics as much as possible.
Mind maps and a few practice questions was basically my only revision for Geography, it could also be helpful to chat/ revise with someone who's in a different geography class as they may have discussed things your class didn't helping to broaden you perspective. I wouldn't venture too much outside you school though as you may confuse yourself over different case studies etc.
Oh also mark schemes and examiners reports show you exactly what the examiners are looking for so keep those close during revision.
You'll be surprised by how easy it is. Go look at the raw mark to UMS conversion, you don't need that many raw marks to get ahuge number of UMS marks.

Cheers!

Yeah the grade boundaries are low, just like GCSE AQA A geography.

Thanks for reminding me of the mind maps. I've made linear revision notes although they are a little convoluted and mind-numbing!

I'm trying to bank as many marks as possible in AS to hit the ground running in year 13 as AS is relatively easier than A2. I do use websites to help with my notes, as well as the CGP book. Did you find the AQA book useful for your notes? I'm finding it a bit long winded whereas the CGP offers a no-waffle explanation for various topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
solve all the papers on pastpapers.net/alevel/Geography :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Sami13
Cheers!

Yeah the grade boundaries are low, just like GCSE AQA A geography.

Thanks for reminding me of the mind maps. I've made linear revision notes although they are a little convoluted and mind-numbing!

I'm trying to bank as many marks as possible in AS to hit the ground running in year 13 as AS is relatively easier than A2. I do use websites to help with my notes, as well as the CGP book. Did you find the AQA book useful for your notes? I'm finding it a bit long winded whereas the CGP offers a no-waffle explanation for various topics

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did edexcel but barely used the text book as my school tended to do different case studies so i stuck to my own research and class notes.

Quick Reply

Latest