The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themonalisa
You have a good point there.

Personally I wouldn't mind the building as long as the teaching and opportunities it offers are good.
But I heard that they mostly use Westminster's facilities, if you were wondering, so you would have access to good facilities.

Exactly. I'd be more than happy to be taught outside with world class teachers rather than have an amazing building.

awww poor Westminster kids - I can just imagine them getting all angry because we are using their facilities for free while their parents by a disgusting amount.
Original post by YounesB
For me, he seemed quite rigid.

I missed the open day and I asked him whether I could come in briefly on a Saturday to have a little look around the school.

He gave me a really blunt answer and didn't even offer any alternatives.

He just seemed like a robot tbh. and I hate that in people

I know, just try asking him if you can talk to his student through twitter or in his school etc. You don't want to be having any regrets.
Original post by sakshres
If you don't mind can you tell us what kind of questions they ask in the interview.

After you do all the tests they ask everyone to fill in a form regarding preferred interview subject shall they get an interview. So you choose which subject you get interviewed for. At the interview they ask you about parts of your personal statement and introduce you to concepts from the a level of the subject you have chosen to see how you cope.

I assumed that we'd be scored on a point system.
So the least we need to get in each paper is 55 points... sounds attainable.

Is the maths exam in the UKMT format or GCSE paper format?

Where did you get 55 points from?
And its more in GCSE form, there are no multiple choice questions apart from economics which Is all multiple choice like UKMT
I know, just try asking him if you can talk to his student through twitter or in his school etc. You don't want to be having any regrets.

I'm speaking to a student now on facebook - problem is that they'll probably stick up for the school to:

- Make themselves feel better
- Not give the school a bad image

It's hard to get an accurate judgement without judging yourself.
Original post by YounesB
Exactly. I'd be more than happy to be taught outside with world class teachers rather than have an amazing building.

awww poor Westminster kids - I can just imagine them getting all angry because we are using their facilities for free while their parents by a disgusting amount.

Well they didn't choose the rich life, the rich life chose them xD
So they better suck it up ahhaha
Original post by Economistician
After you do all the tests they ask everyone to fill in a form regarding preferred interview subject shall they get an interview. So you choose which subject you get interviewed for. At the interview they ask you about parts of your personal statement and introduce you to concepts from the a level of the subject you have chosen to see how you cope.

And its more in GCSE form, there are no multiple choice questions apart from economics which Is all multiple choice like UKMT

out of 10 - how good are the teachers.
Original post by YounesB

haha, I guess we finally get an upperhand.

I didn't get what you meant by "they introduce you to concepts from the a level of the subject you have chosen to see how you cope", do you mind explaining?
Well they didn't choose the rich life, the rich life chose them xD
So they better suck it up ahhaha

Haha what a great reference to the students of Westminster.

When and how do you write/give them your personal statement?

**** my bad, you'd need 95 points in each paper xD
If each paper is worth 150 points and you do 4 papers, then overall you can score 600 points.
You only need 380 to pass, so divide that by 4 and you need minimum 95 points, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong :P
(edited 9 years ago)
haha, I guess we finally get an upperhand.

I didn't get what you meant by "they introduce you to concepts from the a level of the subject you have chosen to see how you cope", do you mind explaining?

I think he means that like if you had a maths interview, they would ask you to answer an a-level maths question which you've probably never seen and see how you approach it. They dont necessarily want you to know how to do it and get the answer right, rather, to show them how you think on the spot.
Original post by YounesB
out of 10 - how good are the teachers.

I would say around 7. Not really that great. Just because you went to a great uni, doesn't make you good at teaching
Original post by YounesB
I think he means that like if you had a maths interview, they would ask you to answer an a-level maths question which you've probably never seen and see how you approach it. They dont necessarily want you to know how to do it and get the answer right, rather, to show them how you think on the spot.

Well that sucks, I thought that's what the entrance exam was for. I was under the perception that in the interview they would get us to actually talk and answer questions and allow us to sell ourselves rather than answer questions.
When and how do you write/give them your personal statement?

**** my bad, you'd need 95 points in each paper xD
If each paper is worth 150 points and you do 4 papers, then overall you can score 600 points.
You only need 380 to pass, so divide that by 4 and you need minimum 95 points, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Isn't it minimum 55 points. Correct me if I am wrong my brain doesn't want to work at the moment
I would say around 7. Not really that great. Just because you went to a great uni, doesn't make you good at teaching

I'm just debating whether this school is worth it - and they have those silly cultural perspective classes. what a waste of time. Get rid of those classes and then get rid of Saturday school OR get rid of those and make the 6 day week productive with material which'll actually get you the grades!
Isn't it minimum 55 points. Correct me if I am wrong my brain doesn't want to work at the moment

Idek bruhh

Maybe I should change from Maths to History ahahha
Well that sucks, I thought that's what the entrance exam was for. I was under the perception that in the interview they would get us to actually talk and answer questions and allow us to sell ourselves rather than answer questions.

You are selling yourself. This school is all about academics. They couldn't give two ****s about your extra curricular.

That's surprising to hear, actually...
Original post by YounesB
You are selling yourself. This school is all about academics. They couldn't give two ****s about your extra curricular.

I would've assumed that you'd have a general interview and a subject based interview, as opposed to just a subject based one. Hmm.
Don't think I've mentioned this, but I don't go to this school anymore. These are two of the reasons why. Along with some others.

Just for clarity, themonalisa was right in saying a 95 average is needed. I don't understand how that can be confusing. 380/4=95. Also younesb is correct in answering the question about what I meant in saying 'content from the a level of the subject you've chosen for interview to see how you cope'

do you want to explain why you left the school?
Don't think I've mentioned this, but I don't go to this school anymore. These are two of the reasons why. Along with some others.

Just for clarity, themonalisa was right in saying a 95 average is needed. I don't understand how that can be confusing. 380/4=95. Also younesb is correct in answering the question about what I meant in saying 'content from the a level of the subject you've chosen for interview to see how you cope'

Alright thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending