The Student Room Group

Feeling guilty about getting in to Uni...

Idk if I'm a little insane or not, but I feel really guilty about getting offers for nursing, two out of two interviews with one more coming up and waiting to hear from the others.

The offer I just got was for one of my dream Unis, so I feel like I don't even 'need' the other offer (I'm doing a BTEC and am already just two essays away from the required grades).

I've got friends applying for the same or similar who have rejections or failed the entry tests and I hate talking about uni, I really can't wait to go but it just feels like a big black cloud hanging over our friendship, I almost feel like I can't be happy about it, especially not around them...

Does anyone else feel like this? I really don't want this to be something that rumbles on in to Uni if they don't get offered anywhere. :frown:
I feel the same way, especially as you say with friends getting rejections, I think perhaps we are both quite self-conscious? Nevertheless it was not 'your (or my) fault' in any way really, and I think in a sense your friends would want you to be happy in your life, so you shouldn't be negative and end up dragging their spirits down in the process.
For me personally I think my offer was very very lucky and I could have easily got a rejection, but obviously if I say this to my friends they would probably get even more irritated, so I think I should just be very grateful while acknowledging their unfortunate situations. If they are still jealous or envious or angry at your or anything...it's a cliche, but I suppose that means they are not so great a friend.
Reply 2
Original post by cherrytrueman95
Idk if I'm a little insane or not, but I feel really guilty about getting offers for nursing, two out of two interviews with one more coming up and waiting to hear from the others.

The offer I just got was for one of my dream Unis, so I feel like I don't even 'need' the other offer (I'm doing a BTEC and am already just two essays away from the required grades).

I've got friends applying for the same or similar who have rejections or failed the entry tests and I hate talking about uni, I really can't wait to go but it just feels like a big black cloud hanging over our friendship, I almost feel like I can't be happy about it, especially not around them...

Does anyone else feel like this? I really don't want this to be something that rumbles on in to Uni if they don't get offered anywhere. :frown:

"Family. Friendship. Religion. These are the three demons you must slay if you want to succeed in life" - Mr. Burns
Reply 3

May i ask what Btec did you study? Its great you have a offer from a uni you like.
Original post by Dalliance
I feel the same way, especially as you say with friends getting rejections, I think perhaps we are both quite self-conscious? Nevertheless it was not 'your (or my) fault' in any way really, and I think in a sense your friends would want you to be happy in your life, so you shouldn't be negative and end up dragging their spirits down in the process.
For me personally I think my offer was very very lucky and I could have easily got a rejection, but obviously if I say this to my friends they would probably get even more irritated, so I think I should just be very grateful while acknowledging their unfortunate situations. If they are still jealous or envious or angry at your or anything...it's a cliche, but I suppose that means they are not so great a friend.

I genuinely never thought I'd get my offers, I didn't feel confident at all, it's times like this I really want to be honest with my friends, and I'm still going through the application process too, but I feel I can't share it with them or talk to them about it.
Original post by Green22
May i ask what Btec did you study? Its great you have a offer from a uni you like.

ED in Health and Social Care
I genuinely never thought I'd get my offers, I didn't feel confident at all, it's times like this I really want to be honest with my friends, and I'm still going through the application process too, but I feel I can't share it with them or talk to them about it.

Perhaps if you say what you say here to your friends they would empathise? I think I would understand if somebody told me this.
Reply 7
ED in Health and Social Care

Cool and well done again.:smile:
Original post by Dalliance
Perhaps if you say what you say here to your friends they would empathise? I think I would understand if somebody told me this.

I have tried, and they say they're happy for me, but at the same time there is still a bit of bitterness. And it 'feels' different. I'd genuinely give them my first offer (it was 4th on my list, not as fussed now I have my 2nd choice) if I could...

I've got an interview coming up and a couple of them were like "well you don't really need to go now, you're just taking up spaces for other people".

And I see what they mean, but I'm trying to prove something to myself, it's not very often an opportunity to be critiqued by so many institutions like this comes up. And if they were to give me a very low or unconditional offer then I still want to be able to consider them.

I know I felt a little jealous when I wasn't getting any offers or interviews, but I didn't let it affect my friendships. I genuinely feel bad that I've gotten positive responses and I really don't want to, I want to be doing cartwheels and telling everyone because I achieved something which I worked hard for. I'm not one to brag, but I am quite proud of myself and I can't share it with some of the people closest to me and it's really hard. :frown:

Gah... "feels", who needs them?!
Original post by Green22
Cool and well done again.:smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 10
Thank you :biggrin:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending