The Student Room Group

How do i tell my parents?

I am almost certain I am Bi, my friends know but my family do not- I am now at the stage that I am ready to tell them but I am scared. They are Christians and do not agree with gay marriage etc and they have said before they wouldn't know what to do if i was a lesbian or bisexual. So, do i tell them? If so, how?! Thanks x
You don't have to tell them, they're important to you but someone's sexuality shouldn't matter on what someone thinks of you
Reply 2
One of my friends let us know she was gay just by going on about female singers and talking about how pretty they were etc. Before you dive in there with your family you could get some posters of celebrities that are the same sex as you and start talking about things you like about them? I've no idea if that would be useful but I guess I'd try it if I was bi
Original post by Anonymous
I am almost certain I am Bi, my friends know but my family do not- I am now at the stage that I am ready to tell them but I am scared. They are Christians and do not agree with gay marriage etc and they have said before they wouldn't know what to do if i was a lesbian or bisexual. So, do i tell them? If so, how?! Thanks x

Just tell them. If you feel that you'll feel a lot better afterwards and can be yourself openly then just do it. They're your family they should accept you for who you are.
Reply 4
Original post by MissLalaxx
Just tell them. If you feel that you'll feel a lot better afterwards and can be yourself openly then just do it. They're your family they should accept you for who you are.

Hmmmmm i will give this some thought, thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by CakeMix
One of my friends let us know she was gay just by going on about female singers and talking about how pretty they were etc. Before you dive in there with your family you could get some posters of celebrities that are the same sex as you and start talking about things you like about them? I've no idea if that would be useful but I guess I'd try it if I was bi

Thank you, that's exactly how my friends found out too! They just came to the conclusion after i continuously spoke about Laurie Brett! :smile::wink:
You really dont need to tell them until you have found a person you are serious with. My big sister didnt tell any of us she was dating until she found her husband.
If I were in that situation then I'd probably leave them a letter explaining everything while I go away for a few days somewhere. I means that if they are angry or something then they will have a chance to get over it and think about the situation properly before telling you what they think. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but personally I'd probably do it this way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending