The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Original post by cp1996
They probably just wanted to test you with something weird to see how you coped... Aha thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha probably, in the actual interview it was terrifying though :tongue:. Congrats again to you!
Reply 2501
Original post by groovyd97
If you get UCL, I'd defo take it. Gap year is not worth it just for the small chance you'll get an LSE/Cambridge offer - also the gap between them and UCL is not big enough to warrant a gap year IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jchap9776
I currently have UCL and got rejected by cambridge yesterday and am still waiting on LSE. Personally, if I don't get LSE I will go to UCL rather than reapply because UCL is the only uni for economics that can compete with camb/LSE imo. Eg. A 1st from ucl>2:1 from camb/lse

You've both got a point about there only being a very minor difference in career prospects between UCL/LSE/Cambridge, but I just don't want to be thinking "what if I did reapply and get into Cambridge/LSE?" in the future if you get me? Its like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Otherwise I'd have to wait to do an MBA or something from there a few years down the line :sigh:
I was so happy with my Oxford offer, ready to get down to it and smash my offer. Tonight I received a Harvard interview invitation for next Monday. More stress! Haha, can't complain though. No idea what to expect, anyone got any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
I was so happy with my Oxford offer, ready to get down to it and smash my offer. Tonight I received a Harvard interview invitation for next Monday. More stress! Haha, can't complain though. No idea what to expect, anyone got any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by chughes17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I watched a video ages ago that at Harvard interviews the alumni wants to get the feeling that you'd be someone they'd want to be friends with at Harvard - so in a sense try and come across as confident, friendly, interesting, genuine etc. it tends to have a less academic focus than Oxbridge interviews to the best of my knowledge
Original post by fha96
You've both got a point about there only being a very minor difference in career prospects between UCL/LSE/Cambridge, but I just don't want to be thinking "what if I did reapply and get into Cambridge/LSE?" in the future if you get me? Its like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Otherwise I'd have to wait to do an MBA or something from there a few years down the line :sigh:

I see what you're saying but it depends if you value a year of your life to be the difference between UCL and camb/LSE. Personally I would only really reapply for cambridge as UCL/LSE experience is very similar but then you should recognise that you are doing that on a non-academic comparison rather than an academic one as again, UCL/LSE/cambridge for econ are really fairly similar. I myself am going through the same dilemma but I'm worried I'd just vegetate in a gap year and be so bored whilst my mates are at uni. For me, I'd defo reapply if it was American unis eg Harvard, mit, Princeton.....
Reply 2505
I see what you're saying but it depends if you value a year of your life to be the difference between UCL and camb/LSE. Personally I would only really reapply for cambridge as UCL/LSE experience is very similar but then you should recognise that you are doing that on a non-academic comparison rather than an academic one as again, UCL/LSE/cambridge for econ are really fairly similar. I myself am going through the same dilemma but I'm worried I'd just vegetate in a gap year and be so bored whilst my mates are at uni. For me, I'd defo reapply if it was American unis eg Harvard, mit, Princeton.....

Yeah man the last thing you'd want would be to be spending a gap year doing nothing. Hence why I've applied for gap year placements which could potentially improve my employability right after graduating? Another problem for me is that I'm not doing FM, since I'm doing the whole maths A Level course in year 13 (long story short, I wanted to do medicine I'm year 12 and was given bad advice that French would make me stand out more than doing maths). Cambridge and LSE both value FM so that could also work against me :/
Original post by fha96
Yeah man the last thing you'd want would be to be spending a gap year doing nothing. Hence why I've applied for gap year placements which could potentially improve my employability right after graduating? Another problem for me is that I'm not doing FM, since I'm doing the whole maths A Level course in year 13 (long story short, I wanted to do medicine I'm year 12 and was given bad advice that French would make me stand out more than doing maths). Cambridge and LSE both value FM so that could also work against me :/

Ah so would you spend your gap year doing FM? Guess that'd take up some time. Fair placements would defo make you a more attractive graduate, what placements are you looking at? I guess it's a huge decision to make and I myself would really have to take ages thinking it over. Do see what you mean about cambridge being a once in a lifetime thing though. I guess my fallback would be that if I went to UCL and got disconcerted with the city or got canned by an IB, I'd probably do an Msc in finance and I'd probably reapply to cambridge/Oxford/LSE and the USA then
Original post by Aly418
Has anyone heard from LSE yet? I applied in October and then they told me 8 weeks, then 2 then 4 weeks. Is that normal?

Yes it's normal. They extend deadlines on candidates they are unsure on, and can keep doing so until March (which is the deadline I believe?) The main deciding factor is the PS at this stage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Yes it's normal. They extend deadlines on candidates they are unsure on, and can keep doing so until March (which is the deadline I believe?) The main deciding factor is the PS at this stage.

Gosh it's so frustrating but I guess it's worth it if you get an offer. Really unsure about my PS though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forgot to post here on Wednesday but accepted by Oxford to do E&M :smile:
Original post by 789tom789

Congratulations! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2511
Ah so would you spend your gap year doing FM? Guess that'd take up some time. Fair placements would defo make you a more attractive graduate, what placements are you looking at? I guess it's a huge decision to make and I myself would really have to take ages thinking it over. Do see what you mean about cambridge being a once in a lifetime thing though. I guess my fallback would be that if I went to UCL and got disconcerted with the city or got canned by an IB, I'd probably do an Msc in finance and I'd probably reapply to cambridge/Oxford/LSE and the USA then

Doing FM would be an option but then I'd essentially be doing it in my 3rd year of A Levels so it may not be acknowledged at all, hence why I've emailed LSE/Camb asking if they'd prefer that over getting some work experience instead. I've applied to the Year in Industry scheme and I've got an interview coming up with IBM for their business placement, which could be good for a gap year. I'm kind of glad to know that someone else is in the same boat lol, having to decide between uni or a gap year. Going to Oxbridge/LSE would be a class opportunity, and if I applied next year (with A*A*A*A* hopefully) I'd be satisfied knowing that I at least tried my best to get in, something which I cant convince myself of right now cos of my AS results. It's so frustrating cos by looking at the university connect page on here, GCSE-wise most Oxbridge offer holders don't have more than 7/8 A*s, which is great, but since I got more than that I should be also be doing better at AS/A2 and standing a decent chance of getting in. I understand grades aren't everything but it would seem unlikely for Oxbridge to turn down an applicant with straight A*s from GCSE to A-Level, no? Also, your plan B is pretty good, my mate didn't get an IB job after his BSc so he did an MSc in Finance from USC and now he's balling in IB :cool:

Which College?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fha96
Doing FM would be an option but then I'd essentially be doing it in my 3rd year of A Levels so it may not be acknowledged at all, hence why I've emailed LSE/Camb asking if they'd prefer that over getting some work experience instead. I've applied to the Year in Industry scheme and I've got an interview coming up with IBM for their business placement, which could be good for a gap year. I'm kind of glad to know that someone else is in the same boat lol, having to decide between uni or a gap year. Going to Oxbridge/LSE would be a class opportunity, and if I applied next year (with A*A*A*A* hopefully) I'd be satisfied knowing that I at least tried my best to get in, something which I cant convince myself of right now cos of my AS results. It's so frustrating cos by looking at the university connect page on here, GCSE-wise most Oxbridge offer holders don't have more than 7/8 A*s, which is great, but since I got more than that I should be also be doing better at AS/A2 and standing a decent chance of getting in. I understand grades aren't everything but it would seem unlikely for Oxbridge to turn down an applicant with straight A*s from GCSE to A-Level, no? Also, your plan B is pretty good, my mate didn't get an IB job after his BSc so he did an MSc in Finance from USC and now he's balling in IB :cool:

Ah fair, a gap year at ibm would defo look good! Yeah it's nice to discuss this option, I think you should fancy your chances with 4A*s at a-level it would be a joke to not let you in, I'm defo gonna work hard to get the best grades just so I have the option of reapplying. My problem is that my grades were pretty good but my interview wasn't great, so there's always the chance of it not going my way again. Your mate is a g!! 😎 I guess my underlying thought is that if going somewhere like UCL will get me into the career I want, I might aswell just go there but forgoing the once in a lifetime experience of Oxbridge would be depressing, but I guess student life in London would be so sick aswell
Ah fair, a gap year at ibm would defo look good! Yeah it's nice to discuss this option, I think you should fancy your chances with 4A*s at a-level it would be a joke to not let you in, I'm defo gonna work hard to get the best grades just so I have the option of reapplying. My problem is that my grades were pretty good but my interview wasn't great, so there's always the chance of it not going my way again. Your mate is a g!! ������ I guess my underlying thought is that if going somewhere like UCL will get me into the career I want, I might aswell just go there but forgoing the once in a lifetime experience of Oxbridge would be depressing, but I guess student life in London would be so sick aswell

UCL is pretty good!You'd have a pretty good career!I hope I get to work as an Economist in the public sector :smile:
Original post by Skill Twix
UCL is pretty good!You'd have a pretty good career!I hope I get to work as an Economist in the public sector :smile:

Exactly, I need to keep reminding myself how good ucl is! Tbf I reckon that's be pretty interesting actually, judging what policies to do and when :smile:
Exactly, I need to keep reminding myself how good ucl is! Tbf I reckon that's be pretty interesting actually, judging what policies to do and when :smile:

I bet I'd be the first Economist not interested in Investment Banking!I'd really love to work with the government!
Well I hope I do get a Warwick offer!It is my best uni!
Original post by Hannahmeg

Pembroke :smile:
Pembroke :smile:

Pretty sure that's my cambridge college's sister college at oxford :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Pretty sure that's my cambridge college's sister college at oxford :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that confused me haha, but cool

Quick Reply

Latest