The Student Room Group

What job can you get with a psychology degree?

Hey, a lot of people recently have told me that I'm wasting my time by applying to study psychology so I'm just wondering what jobs you can get with a psychology degree?
Thanks, Faye :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Faye_xx
Hey, a lot of people recently have told me that I'm wasting my time by applying to study psychology so I'm just wondering what jobs you can get with a psychology degree?

If you want to do the subject it's never a waste! I'm being sponsored to do a building surveying degree by a company who pay for my degree and also a job afterwards. With that being said, I love the subject so much I would do it regardless of the job prospects.

I have one friend who done a psychology degree who works in Admiral... but I also have one who works with children who have been bullied, and help them get back in right frame of mind etc. These days it's just luck imo, no degrees are guaranteed a job, but if you like the subject, do it! :smile:

Hope this was helpful (probably not lol)
Depends what you want to do! You could either go into something psychological such as counselling etc, or use the degree to get a graduate job in something like HR. Out of all degrees, psychology is known to get the student a lot of transferable skills so is often valued above some others x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Faye_xx

Psychology provides you with numerous transferable skills such as analysing data, writing essays, doing presentations, reading articles etc... With these skills you can do almost anything you want! Some people become a professional psychologist while others go into market research (like myself), marketing, business, teaching or something completely different!
Reply 4
Thank you all so much. It was so disheartening hearing people that supposedly care about me tell me that my degree is going to get me no where xx
Reply 5
Original post by Faye_xx
Thank you all so much. It was so disheartening hearing people that supposedly care about me tell me that my degree is going to get me no where xx

I have friends doing all sorts of degrees, from medicine and law, to web design, and they have ALL had people who have told them 'it's a waste of time'

Doing a degree is NEVER a waste of time, sometimes it feels like it (trust me, i'm in the middle of one right now) but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Even if you don't end up up finding a job in your choosen field, you can always apply for high entry level jobs because of it. Do it!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest