The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
By not allowing me to draw something, you're offending me and violating my religious rights.

Why must I cater to your religious views and you cannot cater to mine that everybody should be able to draw anyone?

What about my rights to be offended when it comes to my religion?no one said anything about the disrespect of a religion

When have I said that you can't draw anything? I said you can but you have to be careful as there is a thin line between funny/satirical and being downright disrespectful. This was disrespectful
Original post by Naima_786
What about my rights to be offended when it comes to my religion?no one said anything about the disrespect of a religion

When have I said that you can't draw anything? I said you can but you have to be careful as there is a thin line between funny/satirical and being downright disrespectful. This was disrespectful

Why must your religious rights come before my religious rights?

My religion says I must disrespect all other religions because they are just simply false.
Why must your religious rights come before my religious rights?

My religion says I must disrespect all other religions because they are just simply false.

No it doesn't but there needs to be a balance, so we can live in a civilised society or else there'lol just be chaos.

Then that's just being intolerant towards other views and beliefs

Disrespectful? On the scale of things that must be pretty low, mustn't it? Being offensive is worse than being disrespectful, surely? Respect is earned, and religions earn little for anything other than the good deeds they may encourage (which is offset by the nastiness they encourage).

To clarify, I respect your right to believe whatever you wish but if you believe in deities then I don't respect you for that (though I may respect you for other attributes you hold), and neither do I respect that particular belief.

You have a right to take offence, but you have no right to protection from exposure to things that could offend you (and neither do I).
No it doesn't but there needs to be a balance, so we can live in a civilised society or else there'lol just be chaos.

Then that's just being intolerant towards other views and beliefs

Why must the balance be tiled towards your religious views, but not mine? :rolleyes:

The society is a civilised society as long as we follow the laws. So I don't disrespect to the extent of breaking the law (ie I don't go around setting fire or killing infidels), and you don't murder me for disrespecting your religion.
Original post by Good bloke
Disrespectful? On the scale of things that must be pretty low, mustn't it? Being offensive is worse than being disrespectful, surely? Respect is earned, and religions earn little for anything other than the good deeds they may encourage (which is offset by the nastiness they encourage).

To clarify, I respect your right to believe whatever you wish but if you believe in deities then I don't respect you for that (though I may respect you for other attributes you hold), and neither do I respect that particular belief.

You have a right to take offence, but you have no right to protection from exposure to things that could offend you (and neither do I).

You do realise that offence can be caused by disrespect.

why should your respect for me differ in regards to my belief in deities. Disagreements yes, but respect surely not

Why must the balance be tiled towards your religious views, but not mine? :rolleyes:

The society is a civilised society as long as we follow the laws. So I don't disrespect to the extent of breaking the law (ie I don't go around setting fire or killing infidels), and you don't murder me for disrespecting your religion.

when did I say that? I said it needs to be balanced.

Exactly, we do live in a civilised society as most do follow rules and most of us moderate Muslims wouldn't go around killing/threatening people, but extremists do. There is a difference.

when did I say that? I said it needs to be balanced.

Exactly, we do live in a civilised society as most do follow rules and most of us moderate Muslims wouldn't go around killing/threatening people, but extremists do. There is a difference.

I think you're suppressing my religious freedom if you ban me from making fun of the false religions.
I think you're suppressing my religious freedom if you ban me from making fun of the false religions.

There's a difference between freedom of speech and hate speech.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elhm1800
There's a difference between freedom of speech and hate speech.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean drawing the prophet is hate speech, and 'death to the infidels' is freedom of speech?
Do you mean drawing the prophet is hate speech, and 'death to the infidels' is freedom of speech?

No but depicting religious figures of ANY religion in offensive and, in charlie h's case, pronagraphic styles is an act of hate 'speech'. As to the 'death to the infidels' that's just an extreme reaction from mad terrorists who I doubt are exercising any rights...

Posted from TSR Mobile
No but depicting religious figures of ANY religion in offensive and, in charlie h's case, pronagraphic styles is an act of hate 'speech'. As to the 'death to the infidels' that's just an extreme reaction from mad terrorists who I doubt are exercising any rights...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't know what hate speech is.
You don't know what hate speech is.

Yes I think I do....you are great at debating btw well done:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I think I do....you are great at debating btw well done:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no interests in debating with you since you're very obviously wrong, in both the legal sense and common sense.
I have no interests in debating with you since you're very obviously wrong, in both the legal sense and common sense.

I think you'll find im right. Read a little you might learn something:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'll find im right. Read a little you might learn something:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you should.

Or maybe you should realise you're wrong just from the simple fact that in France people are not allowed to make hate speech against religions yet this paper has not been banned.

But then I don't know, maybe the whole world is wrong and you're not the only person who's right.
Maybe you should.

Or maybe you should realise you're wrong just from the simple fact that in France people are not allowed to make hate speech against religions yet this paper has not been banned.

But then I don't know, maybe the whole world is wrong and you're not the only person who's right.

Yep definitely not hate speech...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep definitely not hate speech...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you genuinely believe that you're right, maybe you should report them to the authority.

As I've said, hate speech against religion (from the press) is illegal in France.

Let's see whether the court agrees with you.
If you genuinely believe that you're right, maybe you should report them to the authority.

As I've said, hate speech against religion (from the press) is illegal in France.

Let's see whether the court agrees with you.

So you think that making fun of a massacre of innocent people who were Muslims by that cover picture is not vindictive in any way?.... wow you suprise me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you think that making fun of a massacre of innocent people who were Muslims by that cover picture is not vindictive in any way?.... wow you suprise me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You totally misunderstood what that cartoon was trying to laugh at, but regardless I don't need to argue with you, the facts speak for themselves: It's illegal for the press to make hate speech against religions, yet this magazine has not been banned.

You can say whatever you want, but it doesn't change the truth that it isn't considered hate speech.
You totally misunderstood what that cartoon was trying to laugh at, but regardless I don't need to argue with you, the facts speak for themselves: It's illegal for the press to make hate speech against religions, yet this magazine has not been banned.

You can say whatever you want, but it doesn't change the truth that it isn't considered hate speech.

Well done for avoiding the question...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending