The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poboxobkh56
Good for you! Hertford's the best for Geography, isn't it?! I'm a bit nervous, actually. But also really excited :biggrin:

Im really nervous too! But I'm quite excited to spend some time looking around Oxford as well be there for a few days. Why do you say hertfords the best for geog I just assumed they were all the same. :smile:
Anyone at St Catz from 14-16 Decemeber? PPL :smile:
Original post by drewsalexia
Has anybody still not received an interview yet? I haven't even gotten an email or a letter to say that I've been rejected. It's annoying not knowing anything yet :frown:

Did you get your invitation? Oxford will update you, surely.

I find it sad that my friend did not get the invitation. She's more hardworking than me in all ways possible, and always gets better grades :frown:

Anyway I've just done my Skype interview with Dr. Hazareesingh on the subject of politics. Loved it! It was done like a tutorial, and we had an interesting discussion on political ideologies.
Original post by Turtlefushsia
Im really nervous too! But I'm quite excited to spend some time looking around Oxford as well be there for a few days. Why do you say hertfords the best for geog I just assumed they were all the same. :smile:

Obviously there isn't a huge difference, with the tutors switching around and lectures being in the department and whatnot. But I think the general consensus is that Hertford is the most competitive and famous for Geography??
Original post by poboxobkh56
Hertford's the best for Geography, isn't it?!

Darn right it is ;D

Really its just one of the biggest groups, my year group has 9

Posted from TSR Mobile
Results come out on the 15th guys, don't forget to register online with your pin beforehand!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by groovyd97
Results come out on the 15th guys, don't forget to register online with your pin beforehand!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do I do this?
Reply 1107
Original post by aasvogel
How do I do this?

You should have got a sheet from your centre with your candidate number and a PIN on. Go to https://results.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/candidates/controller/open/login.html and you'll be able to register.
I'm weirdly looking forward to the results, not sure why :P Anyone else?
Original post by einot
You should have got a sheet from your centre with your candidate number and a PIN on. Go to https://results.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/candidates/controller/open/login.html and you'll be able to register.

I don't have this sheet myself, but think my teacher still has it. Or at least I hope they do.
What scores did everyone get then?
Original post by Dprince
What scores did everyone get then?

Take a look at this thread :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3083097
Prospective 2016 applicant here. Does anyone know whether it is acceptable or even good if one uses graphs to answer section 2 questions (e.g.. when it asks about something economics-y)?
Reply 1113
Original post by Denker812
Prospective 2016 applicant here. Does anyone know whether it is acceptable or even good if one uses graphs to answer section 2 questions (e.g.. when it asks about something economics-y)?

The second section isn't marked, it is just given as is to Oxford. Therefore I guess the answer to your question depends on the tutor looking at your application. The TSA also tends to examine how you think rather than what you know so it may not be advantageous to merely regurgitate theory. That being said I imagine you could produce a good essay if you applied theory in an interesting innovative way. Consider though that you don't get much time for an elaborate answer so might struggle to produce a great piece of work.
Reply 1114
Original post by einot
The second section isn't marked, it is just given as is to Oxford. Therefore I guess the answer to your question depends on the tutor looking at your application. The TSA also tends to examine how you think rather than what you know so it may not be advantageous to merely regurgitate theory. That being said I imagine you could produce a good essay if you applied theory in an interesting innovative way. Consider though that you don't get much time for an elaborate answer so might struggle to produce a great piece of work.

I think I put one small graph in mine, but remember you only get two a4 pages so you don't want to waste space for the sake of putting a graph which you can explain if necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, I'm a perspective 2016 applicant. Could anyone explain the answers to questions 36 and 37 of the Oxford 2013 TSA paper? I'm totally stuck.
Original post by ari0710
Hi there, I'm a perspective 2016 applicant. Could anyone explain the answers to questions 36 and 37 of the Oxford 2013 TSA paper? I'm totally stuck.

36)
(i) Calculate the total mileage for 16+9=25 days.
(ii) Add on 8 miles per day and check whether the result is greater than 5 x number of days.

37)
The minimum possible is a very unlikely event. 10secs +15secs+15secs every time.
I'm sorry, I still don't really get it for question 36 :frown: I'm quite terrible at math, I know...
But thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm applying to Oxford PPE. Just did the TSA 2008 paper and have to say it was very manageable save for some questions (37? Sheep Pens?) (49? How would we know Logs for Fire are considered energy costs?) I ended up with a score of 44/50 :smile:

Are the newer papers much more difficult than the 2008 paper?

Also, could anyone explain how this answer came about?

37 Peter needs to separate his sheep into 16 square pens. Each side of a pen is formed bya free-standing barrier known as a hurdle. Each pen must be individually accessible on atleast one side so that sheep can be penned or released without a risk of the othersescaping.What is the smallest number of hurdles that Peter must take out to the fields in order toaccomplish his task?

A 40B 42C 48D 49E 64

The answer is B. Thank you.
Original post by ryanicale
I'm applying to Oxford PPE. Just did the TSA 2008 paper and have to say it was very manageable save for some questions (37? Sheep Pens?) (49? How would we know Logs for Fire are considered energy costs?) I ended up with a score of 44/50 :smile:

Are the newer papers much more difficult than the 2008 paper?

Also, could anyone explain how this answer came about?

37 Peter needs to separate his sheep into 16 square pens. Each side of a pen is formed bya free-standing barrier known as a hurdle. Each pen must be individually accessible on atleast one side so that sheep can be penned or released without a risk of the othersescaping.What is the smallest number of hurdles that Peter must take out to the fields in order toaccomplish his task?

A 40B 42C 48D 49E 64

The answer is B. Thank you.

A row of 8 pens stacked on top of another row of 8 pens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending