The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

Scroll to see replies

maybe money isn't everything ??
Original post by hman1994
maybe money isn't everything ??

This statement is generally reserved for one of two categories of individuals: The underclass and those who have under-performed in formal education.
Reply 3
Some people prefer jobs where they'll be able to help others.

as hman says, money isn't everything.
Reply 4
I am asking myself the same thing sometimes. Some very bright people simply don't know what to do.
Why even bother asking when you said at the end "in b4 it's my passion"? It shows you clearly don't care to know people's reasons because according to you they are just wrong from the get go.

Why would someone who is passionate at say teaching go into a job that does not fulfil that passion and may make them money yes but themselves unhappy.
Original post by Anonynous
This statement is generally reserved for one of two categories of individuals: The underclass and those who have under-performed in formal education.

No, it isn't.

You can spend up to 90% of your waking life doing, or thinking about, your job. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point in having a lot of money? So you can really enjoy your two weeks' holiday per year?
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

I'm hoping this is a troll but anyway...

Some people actually care about achieving something in their life. If you genuinely think so lowly of yourself that you're willing to spend your life on a career you don't particularly enjoy or a career that doesn't actually improve the world, I think that's incredibly sad. I am perfectly happy to accept that I am never going to earn much in my life if it allows me to pursue the subject I love (Earth Sciences) and almost more importantly, make a positive difference to the world (by improving our understanding of the planet and helping humans to live more sustainably and create a healthier future for our species and others). If I went into an industry like Oil & Gas, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Who cares if you're earning a ton of money if you know that you're spending your life screwing over future generations? I cannot understand how people are happy to spend their lives dedicated to the detriment of human welfare, just for the sake of some kind of short-term consumerist satisfaction. Having a job you feel is important and a job you enjoy is an infinitely stronger motivator than a fat paycheck. If you genuinely mean what you said in your OP you'll dismiss this as a load of BS but it's true.
(edited 9 years ago)

If you are going to dismiss the obvious answer so glibly, branding people idiots and degenerates what was the point in asking the question?
Reply 9
Don't have a contacts to get into the big corporations with good salaries. Some money is better than no money.

Honestly, nowadays lots of people have nice degrees and intellectual capabilities. Its good! We all want some kind of jobs after paying so much money for the education. Competition in job market is crazy and 99% of the time people with links are the ones getting the jobs.

Which company would pay more if workforce are happy with less?
Reply 10

inb4, "it's my passion".

Did an internship in banking for 6 weeks. The people I worked with were high earners but had little to no social life. Most high earning jobs require people to make sacrifices such as family and friends. While this is alright for some, it may not be suitable for everyone. At least from my experience, I've found that I'd be happy having a lower wage (but higher than average) if it means I don't have to make those kinds of sacrifices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They want jobs that are more enjoyable.
I do but I would not be able to live with the guilt of being shallow and superficial.
Original post by mojojojo101
If you are going to dismiss the obvious answer so glibly, branding people idiots and degenerates what was the point in asking the question?

It's a hypotehtically weak argument. What does said passion consist of, a childhood long dream that doesn't match up to the realistic demands of the actualy work duties.

I ask for my own benefit nonetheless, I mean not to dismiss any answers.

Original post by Chlorophile
x

What's not to enjoy about making a sizeable income.

Thanks for your contribution.
What's not to enjoy about making a sizeable income.

Thanks for your contribution.

I've already explained it. A big income is completely meaningless to me if I don't feel that my life is achieving anything worthwhile and if I don't actually enjoy what I'm occupied with on a daily basis. Being able to expand humanity's understanding of the world and improving our species' future prospects sounds like a much more rewarding life for me than living in a big house in London.
Original post by lNurl
Don't have a contacts to get into the big corporations with good salaries. Some money is better than no money.

Honestly, nowadays lots of people have nice degrees and intellectual capabilities. Its good! We all want some kind of jobs after paying so much money for the education. Competition in job market is crazy and 99% of the time people with links are the ones getting the jobs.

Which company would pay more if workforce are happy with less?

Very lazy excuse, in all honesty. I came from nothing but worked my way into the sights of said corporations.

Having just a degree means nothing, especially with regards to intellect. Regardless, it's the people that work hard that make it into these jobs. Those who grind day in day out, going out of their way to learn and establish those all important connections (be it from scratch). These are the individuals whom get noticed.

The workforce are probably not happy with less, they just can't get better jobs or are too lazy. The economics of it matters not to an indivdual who has the potential.

Original post by anngeli
Did an internship in banking for 6 weeks. The people I worked with were high earners but had little to no social life. Most high earning jobs require people to make sacrifices such as family and friends. While this is alright for some, it may not be suitable for everyone. At least from my experience, I've found that I'd be happy having a lower wage (but higher than average) if it means I don't have to make those kinds of sacrifices.

Fair enough. I can agree on the work/life balance for many of these roles but that comes with the package and is part of the lifestyle.

Original post by Gott
The holiday (teaching)

Lol, the laziness.
Original post by Chlorophile
I've already explained it. A big income is completely meaningless to me if I don't feel that my life is achieving anything worthwhile and if I don't actually enjoy what I'm occupied with on a daily basis. Being able to expand humanity's understanding of the world and improving our species' future prospects sounds like a much more rewarding life for me than living in a big house in London.

All the best on your ventures, wherever they may take you.
Reply 17
I had a 'money is the most important thing' mindset for a long time. I recently realised that doing something you're passionate about and enjoying how you spend your life is more important than, say, spending your entire life doing something you hate (but for a lot of money).

In short, happiness > money
All the best on your ventures, wherever they may take you.

Thank you. You too (I really hope you look for a career that you enjoy rather than purely for the money. You'll be better off and so will the world).
Don't get a job! Start your own business, work hard and you'll make way more money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending