The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambio wechsel
I don't know, is why I billed it 'my supposition'. It seems plausibly likely that a higher percentage of King's grads find employment in London than do Warwick grads. I'd be frankly astonished to find that it was otherwise.

you're aware that six sevenths of the population live and work outside London?

This is a pointless statistic.

What would be more interesting is the proportion of graduate level jobs located outside London.

Original post by cambio wechsel

I don't doubt either circumstance as the case. As much as I'm wondering is what the read off is from this to the quality of the institution. There are variables to be allowed for and they should be if ours is a nuanced discussion and isn't punch and judy. One of these will be London salaries. Another, though, will be the fact that the single largest school at King's is the nursing school, which circumstance will bear positively on employment rates and perhaps negatively on starting salaries.

You forgot that STEM students on average make more money. And Warwick is more prominent in that area.

Yes, the nurses should actually be a negative drag on KCL's average salary, like they are on its average entry grades since they require lower entry grades and make up a majority of the university.
Original post by LutherVan

Yes, the nurses should actually be a negative drag on KCL's average salary, like they are on its average entry grades since they require lower entry grades and make up a majority of the university.

Relatively high starting salary, no unpaid internships.
Original post by nulli tertius
There is one non-geographical factor. 21.8% of KCL leavers are classed as medical, dentistry or veterinary leavers. That is the highest proportion apart from Imperial, RVC and St George's. The equivalent figure for Warwick is 5.7%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you get the data from?
Original post by nulli tertius
Relatively high starting salary, no unpaid internships.

I am sure unpaid internships are not part of the list of "graduate-level" jobs in the statistics.

The Nursing starting salary is £21,388. The average graduate training scheme salary is £26,500.
Original post by Morrisseya
Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Durham
Imperial College
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Bristol
Exeter
Original post by tianming.ma
Manchester
cam
ox
lse
ic
ucl
kcl
edin
warwick
bristollllll

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exact same list I contributed.:borat:
I am sure unpaid internships are not part of the list of "graduate-level" jobs in the statistics.

The Nursing starting salary is £21,388. The average graduate training scheme salary is £26,500.

It is above (national) median.

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/images/stories/hesa/Pubs_Intro_Graphics/DLHE_1213/DLHE_1213_table_K.xlsx

I think this includes graduates with all kinds of jobs, not graduates in only graduate-level jobs.
Reply 489
In my opinion, that'd be:
The University of Cambridge
The University of Oxford
Imperial College London
University College London (UCL)
London's School of Economics & Political Science (LSE)
The University of Edinburgh
King's London
The University of St. Andrews
The University of Glasgow

:smile:

I think the important fact revealed there is that studying part makes your salary significantly higher... it must be more prestigious :wink:
Why don't you explain why KCL is not superior?

How?

It's a waste of time because you obviously don't listen to what people on here tell you.
Hows Brighton and SOAS as universities? I've chosen geography with evs for undergrad. I wanted to know out of SOAS and Durham, which is better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr. Roxas
It's a waste of time because you obviously don't listen to what people on here tell you.

A waste of time or you don't have anything logical to say because all the stats state the obvious?
Original post by vsaraogi
Hows Brighton and SOAS as universities? I've chosen geography with evs for undergrad. I wanted to know out of SOAS and Durham, which is better

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham is the best out of the lot. Followed by SOAS.
Reply 495
Hi

Anyone have any advise on whether Leeds or Birmingham is better for law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gott
For Chemistry:

1/Cambridge
2/Oxford
3/Bristol

Definitely not Bristol, the other good chemistry schools seem to be Durham, St Andrews and Imperial.
A waste of time or you don't have anything logical to say because all the stats state the obvious?

What are you talking about? All the relevant stats would point to Warwick's supremacy over King's. The:
The Complete University Guide
University League Tables
Guardian University Guide
The Sunday Times University Guide

are all saying that Warwick is the superior university to King's. These are credible ranking bodies which would all confirm that Warwick is the better, superior university. The gap isn't even close. Go check them out yourself. These are highly verifiable data that can be accessed through their respective websites.

Even when you compare the two institutions on a subject-per-subject basis. King's couldn't hold on its own against Warwick. The average ranking of Warwick across all major fields that it offers is 6. King's is hovering around 22. Boy, that's a huge gap!

For 2015 ranking, for example, Warwick is placed at number 7. Do you know where's king's? It's way down at #28. Again, that's a significant gap that separates between the two. If you don't believe me, here's the link to the ranking:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

But then again, like I've said in the past, you don't listen to what people here tell you. I'm sure you'd disregard this just as you did to other data that would have helped you understand and accept the reality.
Original post by Gott
Are you sure, when I was on a trip there they were saying, that there main competitors were Oxford and Cambridge and that Bristol doesn't get the recognition it deserves for Chemistry and you need rediculously high grades to do it there more like Cambridge

If you look at the UCAS entry tariff it isn't true, I honestly think every school likes to brag about their own school even if its not necessarily true. If you look at UCAS entry tariff Durham Imperial and St Andrews have higher tariffs
Original post by Mr. Roxas
What are you talking about? All the relevant stats would point to Warwick's supremacy over King's. The:
The Complete University Guide
University League Tables
Guardian University Guide
The Sunday Times University Guide

are all saying that Warwick is the superior university to King's. These are credible ranking bodies which would all confirm that Warwick is the better, superior university. The gap isn't even close. Go check them out yourself. These are highly verifiable data that can be accessed through their respective websites.

Even when you compare the two institutions on a subject-per-subject basis. King's couldn't hold on its own against Warwick. The average ranking of Warwick across all major fields that it offers is 6. King's is hovering around 22. Boy, that's a huge gap!

For 2015 ranking, for example, Warwick is placed at number 7. Do you know where's king's? It's way down at #28. Again, that's a significant gap that separates between the two. If you don't believe me, here's the link to the ranking:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

But then again, like I've said in the past, you don't listen to what people here tell you. I'm sure you'd disregard this just as you did to other data that would have helped you understand and accept the reality.

They are credible because they tell you which universities makes you feel satisfied?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I bet you would even argue UC Riverside is better than Harvard because of the "credible" Washington Monthly rankings.:biggrin::biggrin:

You know Surrey is better than Warwick, at least according to your "credible" Gaurdian rankings?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mate, let me tell you the only reasonable stats that Warwick beats KCL in: Average entry grades.

And that is about it.

I could easily start refering to the top international rankingss but instead I would go through the basic fundamentals of things that make KCL better.

- KCL just beat Warwick in all aspects of the recent assessment of research power.

- Academics rank KCL as a better university.

- Employers rank KCL as a better university.

- KCL despite being the bigger university has the higher proportion of students having good prospects (employment or further studies).

- KCL's students, despite a calculation based on a larger student base, earn on average more than Warwick students.

- KCL even has a better alumni list including producing Nobel laurettes (I am sure Warwick has never produced one).

- KCL is better financially secure and has more financial muscle; it has a far more financial endowment, has a far higher income and just raised a ridiculous amount of money that Warwick could never dream of. People only give money to good universities.

- KCL has a stronger brand locally and internationally.

- Even more affluent students go to KCL than Warwick.

These are the kinds of factors that you can spot in prestigious universities like Harvard/MIT/Oxbrdige.

And this is without talking about the international rankings which measures more credible things than your "credible" tables. I could easily list more than the 4 tables you listed (even though you made up one table) that would show KCL is better, but that would have been too easy.

So, mate, take it as it is. KCL has a better reputation, produces better students, gives students better career prospects and is already set to be far better than Warwick in future.

Latest

Trending

Trending