The Student Room Group

Most reasonable way to cut someone out of your life. Cold Turkey? Help.

Have you ever had an old friend that you have outgrown and simply do not like anymore?

How do you deal with these types of people and how do you cut them out?

How have you dealt with this in the past. Have you simply said I don't want to be your friend or just deleted and blocked their number.

Any advice is appreciated.

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Have you ever had an old friend that you have outgrown and simply do not like anymore?

How do you deal with these types of people and how do you cut them out?

How have you dealt with this in the past. Have you simply said I don't want to be your friend or just deleted and blocked their number.

Any advice is appreciated.

Why don't you like him (annoying, childish, etc). Have you known him for a longtime (childhood friend?). How often do you hang out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Only four years, purely jealousy and is into the high life and influences bad decisions. Used to hang out because we used to have a similar daily routine, now I have decided not to follow that daily routine and ignore said individual but a lot of jealousy makes it hard to even discuss small topics with this individual.

Not pointing blame, just want to cut said individual out of my life, in a friendly manner.
Start being forgetful, taking ages to reply/not replying and if they bring it up just say you've been really busy.
When you're in their presence act with grace like nothings wrong if they say anything and be nice to them but don't make the effort to speak to them etc.
Reply 4
Only four years, purely jealousy and is into the high life and influences bad decisions. Used to hang out because we used to have a similar daily routine, now I have decided not to follow that daily routine and ignore said individual but a lot of jealousy makes it hard to even discuss small topics with this individual.

Not pointing blame, just want to cut said individual out of my life, in a friendly manner.

Ohh sorry bro I don't know what to tell you. I guess I've never been in a situation where i wanted to cut ties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Start being forgetful, taking ages to reply/not replying and if they bring it up just say you've been really busy.
When you're in their presence act with grace like nothings wrong if they say anything and be nice to them but don't make the effort to speak to them etc.

Have you dealt with this type of situation previously? Would you not recommend deleting and blocking the number of this individual so they can not text or call at all?

But surely if you act with grace and ignore them and you see them randomly and act like nothing is wrong, there will be a sense of awkwardness and they may call you out on not replying or not calling back; as the individual would know what is going on?

Some people are insane when it comes to keeping a 'valuable friend' and I am afraid to say that this individual is of the same nature.
You are right I have done it quite a few times on 'toxic' friendships. The reason I didn't delete and block is that I needed something as an indicator to show they were responding to the distance ie contacting you less. If I really didn't care for the outcome I was totally cold and did delete/block...but also ignored them when they came up to me (that I don't recommend).

How old are you? I find in this day and age people have a 'face' in public and happen to be friends with EVERYBODY even those they don't get on with. You just have to not consider what you are doing wrong/awkward so when you are in the position of being around her it's not uncomfortable.
It's like shopping in a supermarket and passing someone you don't like at work, but because you have to deal with 'niceties' you greet them, have small talk so you don't come across as a do**he.
Reply 7

Who's jealous of who and why?
Reply 8
It's a natural thing. You talk and meet less and less until you only greet each other. No need to be blunt about it.
Block. Delete. Avoid. Ignore. Move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending