The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cholesta
My son got an offer from LSE to study law at the end of Oct. He has been rejected by Oxford. He has heard that it is hard to make friends and there are few clubs that you can join. He's not sure at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations to him on his offer! It might be worth directing him to a thread for current LSE undergraduates; it would be worthwhile to talk to someone there - preferably who's studying law - so he can get an insight as to what it's like.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2081
Hey hey,
I'm finishing up a double degree in mathematics and education (secondary) in Australia. I'm applying for MSc Gender Research and MSc Gender - I'd rather the latter, but I think I have a better chance because of my maths/stats training, and I'm thinking about future study where the quant research qualification might put me ahead.

I'm really unsure re: application because my degree is structured quite differently. My GPA is 6.0 on a 7 point scale. My degree is a 4 year double degree with an embedded research/honours pathway: during my 3rd and 4th years I completed a research methods and research philosophy course, as well as a 15,000 word dissertation for which I received an average of 98% from external and internal examiners (meaning I have what we call "first class honours" which is different to a UK first class honours).
I've got two good references and a bit of Research Assistant work, an international conf paper done, one in the works and a journal article being written which will hopefully be [submitted] by the time I complete my apn. I basically want to go to LSE as it is one of the last Higher Ed institutes with a Gender dept, the staff there produce outstanding research, and I want to be in a intellectual environment that is bat-**** insanely rigorous, I guess.

Does anyone have any feedback about how they think my application might fair, please?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jamie S
What have people heard for government and economics? I just got another 4 week email...

Still waiting, was this 4 week email an extension to your 8+2 weeks?
Does anybody know anyone who has received an offer during the 4 week email? For econ specifically but any subject tbf is useful
Original post by jchap9776
Does anybody know anyone who has received an offer during the 4 week email? For econ specifically but any subject tbf is useful

I'm almost through my four week email, as I received it on the 12th of December (I applied on the 26th of September) and haven't heard anything. Only one week left. Haven't heard a thing, I presume they are waiting until the application deadline

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inclop4.5
I'm almost through my four week email, as I received it on the 12th of December (I applied on the 26th of September) and haven't heard anything. Only one week left. Haven't heard a thing, I presume they are waiting until the application deadline

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, best of luck :smile: It'd be a joke if they send out another email after that!!
Ah okay, best of luck :smile: It'd be a joke if they send out another email after that!!

I heard of someone who got a rejection in late February-you never know :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also got the 4 week emails for 2 of my choices on 12th of Dec :/
I heard of someone who got a rejection in late February-you never know :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Peak, I'm very anxious about LSE as I'm an official Oxbridge reject so I want the offer from LSE a lot more now haha
Peak, I'm very anxious about LSE as I'm an official Oxbridge reject so I want the offer from LSE a lot more now haha

My son is an Oxford reject. He is applying for feedback as someone got in who wouldn't have been as high a standard as he is. He felt the first tutor really liked him and at the second interview the 2 tutors didn't like him from the word go. He got an offer for law at LSE in October but he's not sure.
Original post by Cholesta
My son is an Oxford reject. He is applying for feedback as someone got in who wouldn't have been as high a standard as he is. He felt the first tutor really liked him and at the second interview the 2 tutors didn't like him from the word go. He got an offer for law at LSE in October but he's not sure.

Ah that sounds a bit dodgy, i was just too nervous for my cambridge interview so didn't perform aswell as I could have. I've heard good things about LSE for law but couldn't give any real advice as am going for economics myself. Although it isn't as campusy/a university city, I reckon LSE would be really good fun as it has all the benefits of London - that being said, London isn't everyones thing

Hahaha I feel the exact same! The Oxf rejection was a hard blow, but I feel that an offer from LSE would somewhat make up for it.
Original post by hannah.t
Hahaha I feel the exact same! The Oxf rejection was a hard blow, but I feel that an offer from LSE would somewhat make up for it.

Exactly! I'm still seriously gutted but LSE give me back a bit of self-worth - and at least they don't have an interview for me to fudge up
Exactly! I'm still seriously gutted but LSE give me back a bit of self-worth - and at least they don't have an interview for me to fudge up

I couldn't agree more. Lse is an amazing university and I hope that an offer could soothe the pain of the oxbridge rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just applied to LSE for International Relations programme.
Did anyone already get their offers for IR?
Obviously I don't expect anything already but just want to know about others :smile:
Don't ever see yourself as Oxbridge rejects. Sure, those who get into Oxbridge are clever but that doesn't mean those who couldn't get in are not as clever. Any casual review of people with successful careers will easily confirm that most are graduates from other universities. There is definitely a great life and future beyond Oxbridge.
Reply 2096
Original post by GandalfWhite
Don't ever see yourself as Oxbridge rejects. Sure, those who get into Oxbridge are clever but that doesn't mean those who couldn't get in are not as clever. Any casual review of people with successful careers will easily confirm that most are graduates from other universities. There is definitely a great life and future beyond Oxbridge.

i like you

Preach :top::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - truly. It's so easy to get caught up with labels, but it's worth it to learn how to shrug them off.
Original post by hannah.t
Thanks - truly. It's so easy to get caught up with labels, but it's worth it to learn how to shrug them off.

Hi Hannah
Is it economics or law you want to do? My son got an offer for law at LSE. Rejected from St Peter's, Oxford. Sometimes it's just a case of selecting a set amount of people from different types of schools, background and areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending