The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sgk286
Me too, my school didn't even know what are oxford interviews. I had to explain the whole admissions process to my principal and teachers

I am the only one from my school to ever get an offer from oxford/cambridge/harvard. I have not yet told my school that I have applied to Oxford. Only my parents, sister and reference teacher know about my application. Nobody knew anything about the admissions process. My teacher wrote a stellar reference for me under conditions of confidentiality. I did the rest myself.
(edited 9 years ago)
E&M at Pembroke, A*AA. :smile:
Original post by LeJennifleur
As a Hildabeast, I like to think so :wink:

Why are they at war? (I have an offer from Magdalen so if you answer me, you may be committing treason by aiding a future enemy :tongue:)
Original post by sgk286
Did you go to oxford to make interviews or just did the interview by Skype? I did the interview by Skype. It was scary yet a great experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a skype interview too. For me, the emphasis was on scary as my camera stopped working after 3 min into the interview. I was asked to draw a bond on the whiteboard. Just as I finished, the camera stopped working. I had to explain the bond on the headset ( one sigma bond, two pi bonds, blah blah...). I did the rest of my interview with the headset only,LOL.
Original post by LordNedStark
Same here. I actually suffer from extreme social anxiety and thus, have never been able to interact with anyone on facebook(or real life) even though I have an account with over-100 'friends' (thats because I have studied in 7 different schools in different states.) These 4-5 posts on TSR are my only posts ever on any social site.

TSR is my social life. A sadder statement was never made.
Does anybody know whether we can host guests in our college rooms? Like if my sister or friend came to visit could she stay a couple of days in my room?
Original post by Idontknowi
Does anybody know whether we can host guests in our college rooms? Like if my sister or friend came to visit could she stay a couple of days in my room?

I think so, but the college should be notified (fire safety bits). At least that's at Hertford... do some rummaging on your college website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Idontknowi

Which college?

Generally the technical answer is either yes, if you book them in or no, not at all. But in reality you don't need to do anything and no one really cares.
Original post by DodoManiac
Hmm I wonder...
No, I went maths interview -> philosophy 'test' -> philosophy interview and just wanted to go home by the end of it. I've had a look at the college since getting my offer on the website though and it does look nice!
Haha, I do need to look stuff up a bit and I have already read it in English so I know what's going on. What have you read in german? I study German as well :smile:
I would like to do STEP, it's just whether I want my insurance to be conditional on doing well in it... Got a while to decide though! Yes, I do have Stephen Siklos' booklet but I haven't looked at it much yet. Probably should...
I'm from Derbyshire :smile: how about you?

Ooh a philosophy test? Did you have to write anything or was it just giving you questions to think about? German as well!? Awesome =D I've only read some Wittgenstein in German but really want to look at Kant. I'm slowly losing my German =( but have started studying Japanese and Mandarin!
Well have a look and see what you think ^^ if you've been doing fine without so far it should all be fine though =D
I'm in Gloucestershire ^^
Original post by Yaz97
I'm from Heanor! So hopefully I won't be the only person at Oxford who doesn't have a southern accent then? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Yaz97
In fact, I've visited Wirksworth before, the hill where the map of constellations is carved into the ground? Not sure if it's a well known thing but you'll probably know about it if you're from there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! We're gonna have to bring some Derbyshire phrases down there.. So which college have you got an offer from and for what course? :smile:
Yeah the Star Disc is a pretty big thing round here!
Any Oriental studies students out there? :smile:
I have an offer for Chinese from Pembroke!
Original post by LordNedStark
Why are they at war? (I have an offer from Magdalen so if you answer me, you may be committing treason by aiding a future enemy :tongue:)

From what I've gathered, Magdalen were "imperialists" and practicing lebensraum, when a bunch of Magdalen students had a fight with a Catz guy on the bridge? Anyhow Catz declared war on Magdalen, and Hilda's allied itself with Catz. (Everyone seemed to take it very seriously, they had a War Council and everything.)
Original post by mnina19
From what I've gathered, Magdalen were "imperialists" and practicing lebensraum, when a bunch of Magdalen students had a fight with a Catz guy on the bridge? Anyhow Catz declared war on Magdalen, and Hilda's allied itself with Catz. (Everyone seemed to take it very seriously, they had a War Council and everything.)

Ooh interesting! There's nothing like a bit of healthy competition :biggrin: 'Tis a shame St Anne's has no feuds, they're clearly too nice!
Reply 493
Original post by emilhay6
Awesome! We're gonna have to bring some Derbyshire phrases down there.. So which college have you got an offer from and for what course? :smile:
Yeah the Star Disc is a pretty big thing round here!

Definitely! The funny thing is that I have quite a neutral accent with just a hint of a Derbyshire influence, so at school everyone thinks I'm "posh" but at Oxford I was quite proud of my Derbyshire roots! So I played up the accent a bit in an effort to sound interesting :wink:

I have an open offer (interviewed at Brasenose and Somerville) for psychology :smile: I may be thinking of someone else, but did I read that you have a maths offer at St Catz?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 494
Original post by DodoManiac
Hmm I wonder...
No, I went maths interview -> philosophy 'test' -> philosophy interview and just wanted to go home by the end of it. I've had a look at the college since getting my offer on the website though and it does look nice!
Haha, I do need to look stuff up a bit and I have already read it in English so I know what's going on. What have you read in german? I study German as well :smile:
I would like to do STEP, it's just whether I want my insurance to be conditional on doing well in it... Got a while to decide though! Yes, I do have Stephen Siklos' booklet but I haven't looked at it much yet. Probably should...
I'm from Derbyshire :smile: how about you?

YAY, someone else from Derbyshire! We should all meet up :biggrin: where abouts are you from? I'm from Heanor, if you've heard of it...

Wow, philosophy and maths - which college is your offer from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ktshepherd
^ Awh, look who I found on the Oxford thread! So proud sades :smile:

(I've got a conditional for French and German at St Hugh's and would love to find some of the people I met at my interview..)

Well hello there Kate :biggrin::biggrin: mega proud of you too!
Original post by Rifleboy123
Ooh interesting! There's nothing like a bit of healthy competition :biggrin: 'Tis a shame St Anne's has no feuds, they're clearly too nice!

St. Anne's has a rivalry with Wadham apparently.
Original post by Chlorophile
St. Anne's has a rivalry with Wadham apparently.

Yes! I was secretly hoping I'd have a college to hate for absolutely no reason XD
Original post by DerMe
Imran! Congratulations on the offer :smile:

Ahhh ok! Thank you, I assume you got an offer then? Well done! Hope to see you around in October!
Original post by Somniare
Ooh a philosophy test? Did you have to write anything or was it just giving you questions to think about? German as well!? Awesome =D I've only read some Wittgenstein in German but really want to look at Kant. I'm slowly losing my German =( but have started studying Japanese and Mandarin!
Well have a look and see what you think ^^ if you've been doing fine without so far it should all be fine though =D
I'm in Gloucestershire ^^

Yeah, it wasn't a proper test - I was given a text to read and questions to think about in timed, controlled conditions. Then we discussed it in the interview, I wasn't really thinking clearly and it went pretty badly but oh well...
Ja, ich spreche sehr gern Deutsch (aber nicht so gut hahaa)!!
Reading some Kant would be cool, I've looked briefly at his ideas but not in much detail, and not in German! Ooh, Japanese and Mandarin sound good! Why those languages?
Hmm, I'm not very consistent with STEP. Some questions I can do in 30/40 mins quite easily but sometimes I get nowhere in a few hours. And to answer 4-6 well on one paper will be very tricky... Then Bristol's AAA is so easy in comparison.. Bit of a dilemma!
Sounds nice :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending