The Student Room Group

Self concious at gym

Dleete
(edited 5 years ago)
Go on Friday night as they're usually less idiots around then, and start research (youtube/google) and practicing as if it were a sport.
Did you not get an induction when you first joined? Speak to receptionists, maybe they can organise one for you.

Is the weight area mostly machines or are there any free weights? And dont worry about doimg things in front of people, the majority of people in the gym are quite nice and wont even be looking. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
should be able to get an induction, ask
Original post by CarbonProduction
Did you not get an induction when you first joined? Speak to receptionists, maybe they can organise one for you.

Is the weight area mostly machines or are there any free weights? And dont worry about doimg things in front of people, the majority of people in the gym are quite nice and wont even be looking. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or just ask at reception if there's staff that can help you get acquainted with the equipment. Failing that, a lot of machines have a little picture "demonstrating" the movement. :tongue:

Machine exercises are pretty simple, there are very few ways to **** it up. I think the best idea is to find a programme that suits the number of days you want to lift, and suits your goals, search what the exercises in the programme are, then go in the gym now that you're prepared and give it a go! You'll feel more confident, rather than trying to make it up as you go along.
Reply 5
Do you have anyone you could go with? Also wear baggy clothing instead of tight clothing if your worried about guys looking. But to be honest people are just busy with their own workout. If your unsure how to use the machine just stand at the side somewhere and pretend to stretch or go on a machine that you know how to use and watch someone else use the other machines but don't make it obvious lol. I was like you when I first started, I just looked up videos on how to do stuff or used the machines without any weights or used really light weights when first starting.
I always find bodybuilding.com a good website for showing how exercises are done... Easily accessible on your phone once in the gym too :wink: I'm sure you could ask one of the instructors for an induction though? Maybe even book one if they're not available when you turn up.

Also, as said above, friday evenings (and saturday evenings!) are a good time to go because it is generally a lot quieter.
Reply 7
Go to the gym at off-peak times. There won't be as many people there then.

Regarding the equipment, if you can't get an induction try googling/you tuning the equipment and learn that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go on an off-peak day to avoid the lads and ask the personal trainer on duty for help with the machines, if s/he's a perv as well you can sue them for harassment

If the reason you're self-conscious is less image-based and more fearing misogyny then bear in mind most guys would have respect for a woman doing proper lifting, shows they're serious about fitness :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Youtube is a great guide to learning certain exercises! I used to be the exact same when I started 3 years ago. Far to intimidated to use the weight room. Sometimes you just have to go for it and while it may not be perfect nobody is really going to care as long as you aren't making a complete fool of yourself and honestly its pretty hard to do that accidentally.

Also as a guy I do kinda recommend you were some baggy clothes in the weight room as that would definitely help take any eyes off.
Every gym I've ever been to, the weight machines have the step by step instructions of how to perform the exercise actually written on it. Just do what it says!
I have the same problem. The weights room is always packed with guys and it does get a little intimidating. I'd say to buy some weights and do your weight training at home and keep gym for the cardio/resistance. Either that or go onto their website and look up the equipment they use and then Youtube them and copy how they do it. Changing gyms is only going to leave you with the same problems but with added inconvenience of journey time. Have a Google around at weight training at home which can be just as effective as any gym, promise! :P xx
Rather than using gym machines, maybe stock up on some dumbbells and do strength training videos at home? I'd recommend fitness blender on YouTube.

BTW you can get cheap dumbbells on Amazon.
Original post by skd1996
I have been to the gym at my uni a few times in the mindset of going in the weight room- however every time I have been I've ended up purely doing cardio as I find myself too self concious to use the weight machines in the weight room.

The main reason for this is that I have no idea how to use most of the machines, and then the room is usually full of boys and I'm terrified of making myself look like an idiot. I have no idea who to ask for help as the only people available when I am there are usually the receptionists. I also want to do squats with weights, however once again I feel self concious about doing this in front of the guys.

I'm tempted to sign up to a different gym outside of my campus and get the bus/train there everyday- however I know I'd have less motivation to go as I would be travelling half an hour more everyday rather than walking across campus to the gym. And even at the new gym I would face the problem of not knowing how to use the machines (but I guess I would have an induction).

Does anyone have any advice that could help me solve any of my problems?

Which uni are you at? You may have friendly TSR fitness members in the gym that could help.

Also, decide on a program, look up videos to see how to Di the lifts then do it.

No one cares what you're doing tbh I've been training four years last week and can't tell you what anyone else in the gym has ever done.

Start exercises lighter than think. Work on form before going heavier.
take a friend that does weights to the gym and get him/her to show you around/what to do, if you dont have friends or anyone that does weights, ask one of the people that work at the gym, and definitely look at youtube videos of how to do the exercises (I always recommend strengthcamp, scotthermanfitnes and omarisuf if someone doesnt know how to do particular lifts, check them out!) :smile:
What is there to feel self conscious about, I mean fair enough you might feel abit embarrassed surrounded by boys, but you can't be the only girl in the campus gym, surely there mut be other females that can accompany you, no?:redface:
skd hasn't replied to this thread for months, what's the point of bumping it
Original post by skd1996
I have been to the gym at my uni a few times in the mindset of going in the weight room- however every time I have been I've ended up purely doing cardio as I find myself too self concious to use the weight machines in the weight room.

The main reason for this is that I have no idea how to use most of the machines, and then the room is usually full of boys and I'm terrified of making myself look like an idiot. I have no idea who to ask for help as the only people available when I am there are usually the receptionists. I also want to do squats with weights, however once again I feel self concious about doing this in front of the guys.

I'm tempted to sign up to a different gym outside of my campus and get the bus/train there everyday- however I know I'd have less motivation to go as I would be travelling half an hour more everyday rather than walking across campus to the gym. And even at the new gym I would face the problem of not knowing how to use the machines (but I guess I would have an induction).

Does anyone have any advice that could help me solve any of my problems?

You are bound to have a friend (male or female) who lifts weights, simply ask them to take you for a few weeks until you have an idea of what you are doing.

Failing that, check out a workout programme like stronglifts 5x5 or similar. Once you have the exercises, check out YouTube videos to get an idea on form.

Original post by redbuthotter
Go on Friday night as they're usually less idiots around then, and start research (youtube/google) and practicing as if it were a sport.

Depends on the gym. Eg. My gym is at its busiest on Friday night. Absolutely rammed, filled with loads of guys on the bro workouts, flexing their muscles at the mirror after each set. Once I even saw a guy walk right up to the mirror and start flexing...lolz

Uni gyms tend to be pretty dead anytime before 10am. Though if it is popular with locals then the best time to go is probably between 8am and 10am. Since locals will try go before work.

Every gym is different, you can't generalise too much when it comes to gyms other than weekends are generally less busy than week days. Eg. Almost every gym will be least busy on a Sunday morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply