The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonynous
Lol, don't worry.. the £50k will just be the base of it :wink:

The bonus will make it worthwhile. I'm a first year uni student btw but grad role is almost pretty much sorted.

I thought you only had a spring week sorted?
Not everyones motivated by money. I know some with the capability and mathematical skill to easily become bankers and stock brokers but they choose not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by Chlorophile
Not entirely sure how you expect me to respond if you give me a random title without explaining why said title is relevant.

Don't respond then, keep fooling yourself that it is a "random" title when it is not.
Original post by xylas
Don't respond then, keep fooling yourself that it is a "random" title when it is not.

Okay.
Original post by Noble.
I thought you only had a spring week sorted?

SW & I could go back to where I interned this summer. Kept in contact with manager. Someone did exactly the same and is now on a full-time offer there and I'm like 90% sure I performed better than them the first time they interned.. but idk.. I'd rather get onto a 1st tier. This thread is just demotivating.. I hope I don't have 2nd thoughts on my career aspirations.

Initially I wanted to go into journalism but looking at earning potentials took over.. and I haven't the first clue of how to make journalism lucrative and I don't do a relevant degree for that career.
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

tèaching isnt lazy tbh
Original post by Frappé
Not everyones motivated by money. I know some with the capability and mathematical skill to easily become bankers and stock brokers but they choose not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, you haven't a clue. Didn't realise you need mathetmatical skill to be a banker.. unless differentiation is deemed difficult.
Original post by wellholathere
tèaching isnt lazy tbh

Well obviously teachers and prospective teachers would say that.
Reply 108
Original post by Chlorophile
Okay.

You responded after saying "not entirely sure how you expect me to respond"! You are a massive hypocrite and you know it
Original post by xylas
You responded after saying "not entirely sure how you expect me to respond"! You are a massive hypocrite and you know it

Okay.
SW & I could go back to where I interned this summer. Kept in contact with manager. Someone did exactly the same and is now on a full-time offer there and I'm like 90% sure I performed better than them the first time they interned.. but idk.. I'd rather get onto a 1st tier. This thread is just demotivating.. I hope I don't have 2nd thoughts on my career aspirations.

Initially I wanted to go into journalism but looking at earning potentials took over.. and I haven't the first clue of how to make journalism lucrative and I don't do a relevant degree for that career.

I think the importance of a spring week is pretty overstated. I'm sure the main advantage of a SW is if you manage to convert it to summer, otherwise it seems to have little impact (anecdotal, but of the people I know who have applied for summer this year, people without spring weeks have been far more successful than those who did one) and, from what I understand, conversion rates of spring weeks tends to be lower than the conversion rate of summer (some of which are terrible to begin with).
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

I am a student at the moment and I want to go into teaching. You know why? Because I will love it and it will be worth getting out of bed. I do tutoring and have helped teach various groups before and I would be so happy doing it. Anyway, money isn't everything. Having enough money to have some disposable income is enough, you don't need millions to be happy (and I am not "lower class" or uneducated before you say that)

How is teaching lazy anyway? It is a very hard and time consuming job.
(edited 9 years ago)
OP, what is difficult to understand about somebody wanting to do a job they enjoy and that fits with a lifestyle they enjoy?
As long as I'm earning enough to be relatively financially comfortable, I really don't mind. Sounds like a typical response but it's true. Obviously I wouldn't turn down a well paid job, but my degree isn't the most vocational/typical so I have no idea where I'll end up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just want to enjoy my life. I could probably do that quite easily on a job that pays 20-30k. I don't greatly need to be high-payed, nor do I see the point in doing something I have no interest in as a career. I guess being high payed and doing a job I like would be the best solution, but I'd prefer the latter over the former any day.
Well obviously teachers and prospective teachers would say that.

no i dont want to be a teacher at all. but think about it. A high school teacher may have like 8 classes to teach. they would have to learn the concent for each lesson, plan the lesson, make handouts, powerpoints etc. Then they would have to teach it, do the marking for the work, and start again for the next week. its not a lazy job.
Personally, I really don't like working full time in an office and this is required for most super high paid careers. I'm not very good at spending all that time sitting still and indoors staring at a computer screen. Due to this, I've chosen to go for an ecology/animal related career which will be less well paid, but I will enjoy it more. I've made peace with the fact I'll probably never earn a really impressive salary in this sort of field, but I will earn enough to be financially secure.

Imo, the reason certain jobs are well remunerated financially is at least partly because of the high stress levels and huge amount of work hours you're expected to put in.

If money is what motivates you, and you're happy to sacrifice other things for that, then that's cool. Other people are motivated by other things, and most people have a far higher level of tolerance for sitting at a desk than me.
Reply 117
Not that I'm planning on becoming a teacher, but I'd rather chop my own arm off than become an investment banker as you suggest. If I make slightly less money in return for not making a career out of increasing economic inequality and exploiting the poor, that's cool by me.
Original post by emmlag
Not that I'm planning on becoming a teacher, but I'd rather chop my own arm off than become an investment banker as you suggest. If I make slightly less money in return for not making a career out of increasing economic inequality and exploiting the poor, that's cool by me.

Could you expand?
Reply 119
Searches the "make up a troll thread title" thread. This appears to be original(ish)!

Quick Reply

Latest