The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wesleigh
I will be at the examination day, if there are any other questions on the day.

Great, can't wait!
Original post by YounesB
Haha sorry !

Just had a really bad experience with this school .

Thanks. Planning on going to st dominics with. Do you know it

Can I ask what form of "bad experience" you had? I'm not doubting you had this, I'm just really surprised.

No, never heard of it.
Can I ask what form of "bad experience" you had? I'm not doubting you had this, I'm just really surprised.

No, never heard of it.

Just out of respect, I don't really want to talk about it too much but just a case of lack of professionalism and standard. It goes a lot deeper than this.

Regardless, It doesn't matter - this is an experience of one applicant. Nothing more.
It must be such a chore getting up Saturday morning though! Especially if there's like a party on Friday night or something. Everything else seems pretty chill to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez
It must be such a chore getting up Saturday morning though! Especially if there's like a party on Friday night or something. Everything else seems pretty chill to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it's a chore. And my god, every Saturday is hard. But one thing I will say, is that it's worth it.

Forget me "representing" my school. Forget me needing some kind of assurance that I made the choice. I'd rather have twice as much holiday, and do an extra 4 hours a week.

Simple.
Not sure where you got your information from but I'd like to, as a current HWSF student, point you in the right direction:

The 6 day week is actually really nice. It gives you much more teaching time per week. This means that for every four hours of extra study you do on a Saturday you're given an extra 24 hours holiday. We broke up earlier that most private schools.

Cultural Perspecive's aren't a waste of time. Like, seriously. They're really fun.

The "hour" that is "wasted" every week is really worth it. No where else in London that we could use offers us the amount of variety that Harris Falconwood facilities offer.

I'm lucky enough not to need reimbursement, but my friends who do need it, get it.

The 80 minutes you get for lunch should be used to do something useful, and if that means working, then you should get a bit of work done. If you need help, teachers are ALWAYS there to help.

It's congested for everyone. If you don't like one method, there is always more than one method of getting to Central London. ALWAYS.

Well, there's a Tesco's, McDonalds, Morrisons, Subway. Need I go on?

In regards to the 6 day school week - It's complete rubbish.

You do NOT get more contact time (teaching)

They have 33 lessons a week (excluding cultural perspectives)
33 x 40 (40mins a lesson) = 22 hours a week.

My current school and the majority of other sixth forms around me 7 lessons for each a-level a week.
Thats 28 lessons a week. Both my school and the school I am applying to have lessons which last 50mins.

50 x 28 = 23.33 hours of contact time.

That sixth day has no purpose - it's simply there as a desperate attempt to match the hours of its partner - westminster school - who actually use all of their hours PRODUCTIVELY.

Spending one a hour a week travelling to a school for sports is ridiculous. After a year, you are wasting 190 hours. Yes. Wasting.
Original post by YounesB
In regards to the 6 day school week - It's complete rubbish.

You do NOT get more contact time (teaching)

They have 33 lessons a week (excluding cultural perspectives)
33 x 40 (40mins a lesson) = 22 hours a week.

My current school and the majority of other sixth forms around me 7 lessons for each a-level a week.
Thats 28 lessons a week. Both my school and the school I am applying to have lessons which last 50mins.

50 x 28 = 23.33 hours of contact time.

That sixth day has no purpose - it's simply there as a desperate attempt to match the hours of its partner - westminster school - who actually use all of their hours PRODUCTIVELY.

Spending one a hour a week travelling to a school for sports is ridiculous. After a year, you are wasting 190 hours. Yes. Wasting.

I'm not going to lie to you: yes, we try and mirror Westminster School as much as possible. Our lessons, timetables, etc., are identical to theirs. We try our upmost to make it work.

If you've never tried a 6-day week, don't knock it. It's just a blind judgement you're making.

I fully understand that you don't like the way Harris Westminster works, and are no longer applying. If so, why stay on this thread? It's for people going to the exam day.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not going to lie to you: yes, we try and mirror Westminster School as much as possible. Our lessons, timetables, etc., are identical to theirs. We try our upmost to make it work.

If you've never tried a 6-day week, don't knock it. It's just a blind judgement you're making.

I fully understand that you don't like the way Harris Westminster works, and are no longer applying. If so, why stay on this thread? It's for people going to the exam day.

How do you know? I've been going to private Saturday schools since I was 5. Please don't assume.

My decision to withdraw my application happened while partaking in this thread. I have every right to put my input into this thread. Thank you.
Original post by YounesB
How do you know? I've been going to private Saturday schools since I was 5. Please don't assume.

My decision to withdraw my application happened while partaking in this thread. I have every right to put my input into this thread. Thank you.

I did say "if".
Original post by YounesB

You're only person on this thread who has sense. This wesleigh kid has been hypnotized by this stupid school. They make it sound excellent, but when you start there you realise how wasteful they are and how badly coordinated everything is.
I did say "if".

Are all of you this immature?
Original post by Economistician
You're only person on this thread who has sense. This wesleigh kid has been hypnotized by this stupid school. They make it sound excellent, but when you start there you realise how wasteful they are and how badly coordinated everything is.

What do you gain by being on this thread? You're bitching about people, the school, and won't reveal who you are. You have the freedom to be here, I just fail to see what you gain by being so hateful.
Yeah **** it I'm withdrawing my application aswell. Would rather be able to use my Friday nights better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hitting the clubs
What do you gain by being on this thread? You're bitching about people, the school, and won't reveal who you are. You have the freedom to be here, I just fail to see what you gain by being so hateful.

I think you mean Truthful. I am here to provide an inside view of how the school works. I am helping the people who are in the position that I was in 1 year ago to see through the blatant dishonesty that is presenting itself to them. I have nothing to gain from lying. So you cam be 100% sure I am giving my honest opinion. If anyone has any questions about HWSF, feel free to pm me.
Original post by Economistician
I think you mean Truthful. I am here to provide an inside view of how the school works. I am helping the people who are in the position that I was in 1 year ago to see through the blatant dishonesty that is presenting itself to them. I have nothing to gain from lying. So you cam be 100% sure I am giving my honest opinion. If anyone has any questions about HWSF, feel free to pm me.

I commend you.
Wow, it appears a lot of misinformation is being spread about the school on here!
First of all, my experience of the school so far has been invariably positive. Not only am I being stretched and challenged in my lessons, but I, as are many others are being given guidance on preparing to apply for Oxbridge and other top tier universities and to reach our full potential in our passions and interests.

I'd also like to clarify that we are indeed being reimbursed for our travel costs, as well as those qualifying being offered free school meals. Bursaries have also been issued, that can be used in order to purchase items essential to your education.

Having school on Saturday is not nearly as bad as you might think, and the CPs (Cultural Perspectives) are fantastic and eye-opening. Last term the ones I did were History of Science, The Future of Energy and Medical Ethics.
This term I am doing Financial Trading, Human Rights and Lies & Controversies. As you can see, there is a wide variety of CPs and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, whether in the thread or by PM.
Reply 97
Economistician, May I ask how long you studied at HWSF?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mathbomb
Wow, it appears a lot of misinformation is being spread about the school on here!
First of all, my experience of the school so far has been invariably positive. Not only am I being stretched and challenged in my lessons, but I, as are many others are being given guidance on preparing to apply for Oxbridge and other top tier universities and to reach our full potential in our passions and interests.

I'd also like to clarify that we are indeed being reimbursed for our travel costs, as well as those qualifying being offered free school meals. Bursaries have also been issued, that can be used in order to purchase items essential to your education.

Having school on Saturday is not nearly as bad as you might think, and the CPs (Cultural Perspectives) are fantastic and eye-opening. Last term the ones I did were History of Science, The Future of Energy and Medical Ethics.
This term I am doing Financial Trading, Human Rights and Lies & Controversies. As you can see, there is a wide variety of CPs and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, whether in the thread or by PM.

Being challenged and stretched can be found within the majority of sixth forms - let alone a selective one. Doing this is hardly a "USP" if you like - it's simply the purpose of a school.

CP's are of course very useful and informative but when it comes to point where it is eating away at time where you could be taught the content of your A-levels. It's almost insulting that this school can afford a six day school week but are not using the time productively to teach the extremely rich syllabus of a-levels in the six days whereas other schools, who by the way saw huge cuts whilst this school was awarded 45million pounds, struggle to cram everything in, in 5 days.
When is the entrance exam?? I got an email but not a letter -_- The email said if I don't recieve it by wed I should contact the admissions team or something. But I can't wait!! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending