The Student Room Group

What is the best car for a fresh graduate seeking first car?

My pick is perodua myvi and Toyota vios. Both cheap and good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HucktheForde
My pick is perodua myvi and Toyota vios. Both cheap and good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hyundai i20
I turned 17 in August and my dad has just bought me a Hyundai Getz (2005, post-facelift model) from a seller on Gumtree for £800 - affordable, and I really like it.
Original post by Peaches and Cream
I turned 17 in August and my dad has just bought me a Hyundai Getz (2005, post-facelift model) from a seller on Gumtree for £800 - affordable, and I really like it.

I had one of those (2006, post facelift model), up until october when i got my hyundai i20. I loved it.I still miss it.
I got a 2008 ford ka style, I know its associated with being targeted more towards girls, but with the colour and everything it looks good.
Even better though, it drives great and is easy to park.
Cost me £2500 (had a low under 50k mileage) and only £800 to insure (as a 17 year old who had just passed), no black box!!
Reply 5
Original post by calm down
I got a 2008 ford ka style, I know its associated with being targeted more towards girls, but with the colour and everything it looks good.
Even better though, it drives great and is easy to park.
Cost me £2500 (had a low under 50k mileage) and only £800 to insure (as a 17 year old who had just passed), no black box!!

How did you manage to get insurance that cheap?
Original post by muj121
How did you manage to get insurance that cheap?

Its the cheapest car to insure.
My dad is also a named driver, although I am the main driver. Was through aviva
Original post by Peaches and Cream

How on earth was that only £800?

I only ever saw Getz for around £1500-£1800 at that age!
Original post by calm down
Its the cheapest car to insure.
My dad is also a named driver, although I am the main driver. Was through aviva

Prepare for an onslaught of 'fronting'. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Twinpeaks

I thought fronting increased your premiums? At least whenever I put in quotes it would be cheaper if I was the main driver.
Original post by Tbx
I thought fronting increased your premiums? At least whenever I put in quotes it would be cheaper if I was the main driver.

Why would people front if that were the case? :tongue:

For most of us, fronting is a much cheaper option. Using your parents years of experience and no claims! Your circumstance must be different.
Reply 11
Why would people front if that were the case? :tongue:

For most of us, fronting is a much cheaper option. Using your parents years of experience and no claims! Your circumstance must be different.

Oh right haha! It was always more expensive for me, I thought the insurance companies did it on purpose.
VW Polo, my first year insurance was only £900 with tescos- and then it dropped a couple of hundred in my second year.

wot is fronting?
How on earth was that only £800?

I only ever saw Getz for around £1500-£1800 at that age!

Was talking to dad about that and he reckons he'd have paid £1500 on it cause it's in fab condition but the lady who he bought it from didn't seem to realise how much it was worth and was selling it dirt cheap. Just luck, I suppose!
Original post by HucktheForde
wot is fronting?

Its basically when you have a car, and you are going to be the main driver of the car. But on the insurance you put a parent (or some other person you know who is older and a more experienced driver than you) as the main driver, and yourself only as a named driver, rather than yourself as the main driver (which you will be) and the other person as the named driver. Basically to cut the cost of the insurance so you dont have to pay as much (as its usually cheaper that way).
This is illegal though, and if you get caught, the insurance company can cancel your insurance (which makes it a lot more expensive next time- if anyone will insure you at all), and in the event of an accident they will fail to pay out for repairs etc. And you could get done for having no insurance (as your policy is technically null and void).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest