The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by alexgr97
Ahhh ok! Thank you, I assume you got an offer then? Well done! Hope to see you around in October!

Offer for German sole at LMH. Thanks, best of luck!
Original post by Rifleboy123
Yes! I was secretly hoping I'd have a college to hate for absolutely no reason XD

It's a bit of a shame because Wadham is really nice :frown:
Original post by Yaz97
YAY, someone else from Derbyshire! We should all meet up :biggrin: where abouts are you from? I'm from Heanor, if you've heard of it...

Wow, philosophy and maths - which college is your offer from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo, yeah! :biggrin: We've done quite well I think here!! My address is Ashbourne but I'm actually closer to Derby, just a couple miles away. Yeah yeah, I've heard of Heanor :smile:
Yess, very interesting course! My offer is from Oriel :biggrin: ooh, so you've got an open offer? That must be weird not knowing where you'll end up :s-smilie:
Original post by Chlorophile
It's a bit of a shame because Wadham is really nice :frown:

I'm sure it is! So what's this rivalry about anyway?
Original post by Rifleboy123
I'm sure it is! So what's this rivalry about anyway?

Absolutely no idea. It might have something to do with the fact that they're close-ish (although there are plenty of colleges that are closer) but it's weird because both are pretty relaxed and progressive colleges.

Found this lovely article by somebody who doesn't have a sense of humour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AnnaGiulia
Hello, all! Congratulations to everyone on their offers not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd stick it here. I'm an American student, and I've been offered a place to read French and Beginner's Italian. I'm in the midst of a gap year (graduated high school last spring) in which I've been studying music and working and doing generally nonacademic things. I was wondering if anyone (especially other gap year students, if you're out there!) would like to share how they're preparing to start their course, and, in my own case, if it's totally ridiculous to take an introductory semester of language to pre-game beginner's language. I mean, can you over-prepare for Oxford? Haha. Thanks in advance!

I was wondering the same thing D: no idea tbh, but I'm terrified from what I've heard about work load so I don't think over-preparing is possible (?)
Original post by LordNedStark
One of the conditions of reach oxford is that
I have to return back to my country after my course is over.(I read it somewhere).
What if I want to continue postgrad?

Original post by fluteflute
"Applicants should be intending to return to their country of ordinary residence following their studies."

I think you can interpret that as including postgrad.... :tongue:

Yeah, fluteflute's right. I spent a couple of weeks being very pedantic about every clause and annoying people in admissions and student finance with questions, and I'm pretty sure you're allowed to go anywhere you want for postgrad. As long as you don't start the course intending to stay in the UK and work after your degree you're fine. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 507
Original post by un_willing
Yeah I applied to Lincoln and was interviewed there. At least you only had to cross the road for your Lincoln interview! I felt my French interview was particularly tough (for some reason it was with the French, German and Spanish tutors, and I was being severely grilled by all of them!) so I was utterly shocked to get an offer. Hope to see you there :smile:

Yep I just had to cross the road and I was there (quite a relief as I'm not great with directions)! I had a separate interview at Jesus with the French and German tutors which was for general modern languages, and then a more specific Spanish one at Lincoln, so maybe they just put it all into one for you (both the French and general one)?! Sounds intense and quite scary but you must have done well! :smile:
Original post by BJack
When I had to do this (in 2010), I just sent normal photocopies. :dontknow: If you have a spare day to take a trip to Oxford, you could try dropping in on your college's admissions office with the original certificates.

Thanks for response. Am just going to get photocopies with Manager signature from work. Did you include copies of GCSE certificates? As conditions state 'grades as declared on ucas' (i.e. No specification for just AS/A2).
Reply 509
Original post by Jenna15
Yep I just had to cross the road and I was there (quite a relief as I'm not great with directions)! I had a separate interview at Jesus with the French and German tutors which was for general modern languages, and then a more specific Spanish one at Lincoln, so maybe they just put it all into one for you (both the French and general one)?! Sounds intense and quite scary but you must have done well! :smile:

Hi, well done on your offer! I have an open offer for psychology, but I'm interested in your Spanish interview (if it weren't for psychology I'd probably have chosen languages at uni). What kinds of questions did they ask? I had a look at the entrance exam for languages as initially I was considering psychology with linguistics, and it looked really difficult! So what did it take to get an offer for Spanish? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for the clarification
I'm an international applicant and I just received the letter from St. Hugh's College. However, it isn't like what most people described. All I received in the airmail are a 1 page letter and a booklet on financing my education in Oxford. I heard that others will get thick letters and stuff. Is there something wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 512
Original post by hermit17
I'm an international applicant and I just received the letter from St. Hugh's College. However, it isn't like what most people described. All I received in the airmail are a 1 page letter and a booklet on financing my education in Oxford. I heard that others will get thick letters and stuff. Is there something wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry too much, I received just a two page letter and finance booklet as well and I'm a UK applicant. Not sure why some people's letters are so thick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
I wouldn't worry too much, I received just a two page letter and finance booklet as well and I'm a UK applicant. Not sure why some people's letters are so thick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally just got a one sheet letter, no finance booklet or anything! So hopefully they're just sending out different amounts of information at different times.
Reply 514
Original post by Naomi12
I literally just got a one sheet letter, no finance booklet or anything! So hopefully they're just sending out different amounts of information at different times.

It is odd that different people have received different information, although I suppose it depends on your course, offer type and college as to what information they give (seeing as the colleges operate independently). What's your offer for and at which college? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone asked their college for feedback on their application? I'd like to but I'm not sure what to say in the email (just "how did I do?" or something more formal?) and how much feedback they'll actually give me. Would appreciate any help from someone who's already enquired.
Original post by Yaz97

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a need to verify my results by scanning them? I'm kinda confused here. If it helps, I applied for Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 516
Is there a need to verify my results by scanning them? I'm kinda confused here. If it helps, I applied for Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what you mean there. I haven't heard anything about needing to verify or scan results (if by results you mean the letter?) so that could be for international applicants maybe? Either way I can't answer your question, sorry :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it, that's all I received as well. I imagine it would depend on your college or course; maybe some admissions offices like to send you some more info about their particular college? But I doubt it matters at all.
Reply 518

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry, I'm a UK applicant and I recieved exactly the same from St Hugh's!
-`
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending