The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Oxbridge next year-help!

Scroll to see replies

Just wanna say that I reapplied into Cambridge and picked another college but the same subject and was offered a spot this year!

Do reapply if it is really what you want!
Reply 21
Original post by Kolasinac138
Hi, I'm probably reapplying next year too. How do you feel about moving down a year below, though?

Loads of people take gap years, there's no need to see it as moving down a year :smile:
Original post by oclark44
Loads of people take gap years, there's no need to see it as moving down a year :smile:

So you're reapplying? :smile:
Reply 23
Good luck to all those re-applying. I certainly wouldn't have the resolve or courage to do it. Hope you get in :smile:
Reply 24
Sorry, I have a question. I've already applied to Cambridge and been rejected twice, and my parents made me promise I would go to uni this year as I'm already in the middle of a gap year so I can't exactly take another one. I have almost perfect grades (improved a lot from when I first applied) and a lot of work experience in the course I'm applying for, plus I've spent my gap year doing more advanced courses. I already have an unconditional offer from Durham and I would happily go there this year if it weren't for the fact that I've had my heart set on Cambridge for such a long time. I think I made a bit of a tactical blunder by applying to the same college twice and avoiding the TSA - I think applying to a different college and taking the TSA might have improved my chances of an offer this year. Me being the stubborn human being I am, if I had the option I would take a second gap year (doing something useful, of course) and re-apply one last time, but I can't because I already promised to go to uni this year - plus, if I declined all my offers this year, there's no guarantee I'd get the same offers again if I reapplied, which could mean losing my place at Durham too. I thought that maybe I would try and stick it out at Durham for a year and if I really hate it I'll try for Cambridge again, and if not I'll finish the degree at Durham and apply to Cambridge either as an affiliated student or for a postgrad course. I would apply while at Durham, but you generally can't do that. The problem is, I wouldn't mind waiting another year or even two years if it meant I got into Cambridge, but four years is pushing it. Plus, I don't know if I'll even want to do another degree after my first one. I can't even ignore my parents and take a second gap year because I live with them and I'm too young to move out.

Advice, anyone?! (Sorry for the rant... My thoughts are in a bit of a mess right now...)
Original post by Blazar
Sorry, I have a question. I've already applied to Cambridge and been rejected twice, and my parents made me promise I would go to uni this year as I'm already in the middle of a gap year so I can't exactly take another one. I have almost perfect grades (improved a lot from when I first applied) and a lot of work experience in the course I'm applying for, plus I've spent my gap year doing more advanced courses. I already have an unconditional offer from Durham and I would happily go there this year if it weren't for the fact that I've had my heart set on Cambridge for such a long time. I think I made a bit of a tactical blunder by applying to the same college twice and avoiding the TSA - I think applying to a different college and taking the TSA might have improved my chances of an offer this year. Me being the stubborn human being I am, if I had the option I would take a second gap year (doing something useful, of course) and re-apply one last time, but I can't because I already promised to go to uni this year - plus, if I declined all my offers this year, there's no guarantee I'd get the same offers again if I reapplied, which could mean losing my place at Durham too. I thought that maybe I would try and stick it out at Durham for a year and if I really hate it I'll try for Cambridge again, and if not I'll finish the degree at Durham and apply to Cambridge either as an affiliated student or for a postgrad course. I would apply while at Durham, but you generally can't do that. The problem is, I wouldn't mind waiting another year or even two years if it meant I got into Cambridge, but four years is pushing it. Plus, I don't know if I'll even want to do another degree after my first one. I can't even ignore my parents and take a second gap year because I live with them and I'm too young to move out.

Advice, anyone?! (Sorry for the rant... My thoughts are in a bit of a mess right now...)

This is just my opinion, don't take it as fact, but I really don't think it's worth waiting 3 years just to get into Cambridge. At the end of the day Durham will be just as good.
Reply 26
So you're reapplying? :smile:

Yup, to Cambridge for Russian and Spanish.
Yup, to Cambridge for Russian and Spanish.

Nice. How will you prepare for the reapplication?
Reply 28
Hey, Im reapplying next year too. I felt like I totally didnt give it my all and I want to see what happens when I do. We should start a thread just for the reapplying people :tongue:
How can you get feedback from the college? Email to the admissions office? Im curious.
And for the OP, you should seriously reapply. A year here or there doesnt mean anything - we are still young. Im going to be 21 if I get in.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3076241 there is a thread for cambridge re-applicants 2016 here.
Reply 30
Nice. How will you prepare for the reapplication?

I've already managed to fit in an exchange to St. Petersburg in April, will use a family connection to get a work placement in Moscow (which will be very interesting but probably not absolutely necessary, it's just a good excuse to be there) and will do a C2 Spanish exam in May of next year in Valladolid. Aside from that I'll work through all the greats of Russian literature and 19th and 20th century Spanish and Latin American literature. Might look at golden age things as well. Will also read all the recommended books on the Cambridge website. What about you?
I've already managed to fit in an exchange to St. Petersburg in April, will use a family connection to get a work placement in Moscow (which will be very interesting but probably not absolutely necessary, it's just a good excuse to be there) and will do a C2 Spanish exam in May of next year in Valladolid. Aside from that I'll work through all the greats of Russian literature and 19th and 20th century Spanish and Latin American literature. Might look at golden age things as well. Will also read all the recommended books on the Cambridge website. What about you?

I have no idea. Maybe some programming, one or two more books, a summer school in Comp Sci? I don't really know :frown:
Reply 32
I have no idea. Maybe some programming, one or two more books, a summer school in Comp Sci? I don't really know :frown:

Did you apply to Oxford or Cambridge? From what I've heard the Oxford comp sci stats are absolutely ridiculous, something like 15 applicants, so I wouldn't hold your breath! Have you considered the states? A friend of mine is applying to the states to do to comp sci and says they're way ahead of the curve over there. Good luck whatever you decide!
Reply 33

Consider applying to a college with a written test.
Original post by TVIO
Consider applying to a college with a written test.

Why?
Did you apply to Oxford or Cambridge? From what I've heard the Oxford comp sci stats are absolutely ridiculous, something like 15 applicants, so I wouldn't hold your breath! Have you considered the states? A friend of mine is applying to the states to do to comp sci and says they're way ahead of the curve over there. Good luck whatever you decide!

Cambridge, I like it much more :smile:
Original post by Blazar

Go to Durham. Try for a masters at Cambridge if you still want to, after your undergraduate degree. At least then you'd have two degrees rather than another wasted year and uncertainty about where you're going. Remember that future employers can see gaps on your CV. One gap year is explicable, two less so.
Reply 37
Why?

You can revise for tests to an extent
Original post by TVIO
You can revise for tests to an extent

True that.
How much do you know about the TSA?
Reply 39
True that.
How much do you know about the TSA?

Not a lot, I've looked at like 3 questions. But Churchill had a MAT that could probably be revised for by doing STEP, it was sorta similarish but easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending