The Student Room Group

Why do nice guys/nice girls finish last?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TotalerReinfall

Honestly the sexiest thing I've seen all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Why do guys who have nice personalities never get the girl. Guys who are kind, caring, gentle, accept rejection politely and that are just nice to everyone, always finish last? In my college the girls seem to prefer the dickheads.
I think guys are just as bad too. They seem to prefer the bitches in my college. One of my friends who is a nice girl got rejected recently and then the guy went for a bitch, so that's why I created this thread. Any ideas?

Because looks matter the most.
Reply 62
Original post by trustmeimlying1
what...
reminds me I have a few letters to send...

That went completely over your head :tongue:.
Original post by lou 22
That went completely over your head :tongue:.

usual stuff for you so xD
Reply 64
usual stuff for you so xD

Usual stuff for you :tongue: lacking understanding :biggrin: jk.
Reply 65
Original post by wellholathere
Because sometimes these nice guys come off as too nice and seem a bit feminine. Girls want a guy, not another girl. Plus with nice guys, they're usually a lot more sensitive than other guys which is just annoying for the girl because well, we're the girl. Man up.
Saying that, i'm sure there are loads of nice guys that aren't overly emotional, cringe and feminine too...I just haven't met one:rolleyes:

I'm just generalizing here.

You haven't met one because you're going out and picking and choosing which feelings your man is allowed to have or display, and even men who display emotion don't want to be your ****ty doormat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lou 22
Usual stuff for you :tongue: lacking understanding :biggrin: jk.

tsh...says jk immediately after insulting me...amateur form!:tongue:
Boring, spineless, deceptive... take your pick.
Reply 68
It's an evolutionary thing girls are more instinctively attracted to stronger but potentially more "bad guys" though I'm sure many can rationally overcome that
They are until nice guy meets nice girl, its just finding the right mix.
It may feel like bad boys and girls get more relationships, etc. but look further down the line and its normally the nice ones who settle down first with better jobs.
I usually go for genuinely nice guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If 'nice' is the best word you can use to describe yourself to someone, then you must be really boring. Being 'nice' is the bare minimum for a friendship let alone a relationship.

That's not too dissimilar to applying for a job and when asked what your best interpersonal skill is, all you can reply with is "I'm a good communicator."

Christ.
because its boring, it doesn't represent a challenge or indicate potential for change or security.
Original post by marco14196
I would count myself as one of the nice guys out there and I have to agree, we do finish last. When I was in college last year, I tried to ask out this sweet girl, Id been getting to know her for a few months and I thought it was going nicely. I wasnt being forceful or anything, just being a friendly person. So I tell them I have feelings for them and ask them out to go to the cinema but I promptly get told she doesnt feel the same way. So how do I handle it? Well I accept it and just literally say ok, and end that pursuit there, returning to friendly status with them. I dont go out doing bad things, Im just quiet, polite and fairly well mannered. But Im not what a girl is looking for seemingly, they want meatheads from what I can gather so i just tend to phase out and go into a sort of hibernation until someone comes along and expresses interest in me. Yes, we will finish last but I feel we will finish last for the better and get the best girls, ones who are more equivalent in behaviour to us. Thats just how this game plays itself out. Ive never had a relationship for this reason, Im just very patient in waiting.

I'm exactly like you, and I hear you arguement down to the T. Aren't you fed up with being rejected time after time. It wears ones confidence and self - esteem down. Don't think you think the nice guys have to fight back and be noticed for who they are?!
Original post by Jean Luc Picard
I'm exactly like you, and I hear you arguement down to the T. Aren't you fed up with being rejected time after time. It wears ones confidence and self - esteem down. Don't think you think the nice guys have to fight back and be noticed for who they are?!

Yep, I am pretty fed up of it. I'm a nice person but I would say I am more than that. Looking at all of the posts here that imply that nice is weakness, well thats true for people who are only just nice on its own. I am kind and respectful to others, show un-breaking loyalty but I'll be firm with someone and argue against them to the ends of the earth but I am a kind person. Being rejected is a confidence breaker especially if you like someone so much( I liked this person for the best part of 8 months and still secretly do) but I don't let it wear away at me, I just view it as a learning experience from which to build off of and improve myself as a person. For all of the things that have gone wrong in my life, I always and only view them as lessons from which I can learn a lot of things. In the end I feel that I am nice but I am a whole lot more than just nice
Original post by marco14196
Yep, I am pretty fed up of it. I'm a nice person but I would say I am more than that. Looking at all of the posts here that imply that nice is weakness, well thats true for people who are only just nice on its own. I am kind and respectful to others, show un-breaking loyalty but I'll be firm with someone and argue against them to the ends of the earth but I am a kind person. Being rejected is a confidence breaker especially if you like someone so much( I liked this person for the best part of 8 months and still secretly do) but I don't let it wear away at me, I just view it as a learning experience from which to build off of and improve myself as a person. For all of the things that have gone wrong in my life, I always and only view them as lessons from which I can learn a lot of things. In the end I feel that I am nice but I am a whole lot more than just nice

I applaud you, on your state of mind and your outlook on life! I think alot of 'nice guys' out there could learn from that! I'm in a pretty similar mind set at the moment, learning from experiences, still being the nice guy, but standing up for myself when the it's necessary. What troubles me is that as we get older, we're just going to fad away into the background and not be noticed which is rather frustrating. I'm in a similar situation with a girl, who might be just playing hard to get or isn't intrested. What makes me wonder if I wasn't a nice guy, would she of been acting different!
Original post by Jean Luc Picard
I applaud you, on your state of mind and your outlook on life! I think alot of 'nice guys' out there could learn from that! I'm in a pretty similar mind set at the moment, learning from experiences, still being the nice guy, but standing up for myself when the it's necessary. What troubles me is that as we get older, we're just going to fad away into the background and not be noticed which is rather frustrating. I'm in a similar situation with a girl, who might be just playing hard to get or isn't intrested. What makes me wonder if I wasn't a nice guy, would she of been acting different!

My mistake with this girl was that I acted too late(I tried asking her out in August) as she was about to start at Nottingham uni whilst I was starting at Manchester uni and she didn't feel the same way as a result, I was too slow because I was too scared(I had a severe confidence problem because of ******* bullying me in secondary school, bad times for me) to act on my feeling and approach her earlier. Yes we did talk(I was getting to know her from December last year-2013) but I didn't allude to anything. I still talk to her occasionally now but I lost my chance and it pains me that I failed to draw her attention. Don't make the mistake I made.
Reply 77
I always take these threads a little insulting as it implies as I have a girlfriend I must be a dick...

but on topic, being "nice" is nothing as of itself. If the best you have to offer is that you are not a dick then why should anyone want you? Be nice, but be interesting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 78
tsh...says jk immediately after insulting me...amateur form!:tongue:

TSH?
Original post by lou 22
TSH?

tsk...kinda like..yeh you know it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending