The Student Room Group

What A level/s do you find a joke?

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I find it a joke that people find themselves superior to others because of the subjects they choose to study at 16 years old. There's no bigger sign of insecurity than criticising other peoples' life choices to make you feel better about your own. I think it's time for some people to grow up a little bit.
Original post by smileitsjess
Personally, I find it a joke that people find themselves superior to others because of the subjects they choose to study at 16 years old. There's no bigger sign of insecurity than criticising other peoples' life choices to make you feel better about your own. I think it's time for some people to grow up a little bit.

The subjects people are talking about are the subjects they themselves chose to study.

For example me and maths.
Politics by far. I'm saddened to have even picked it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Media, Business, English Language, Philosophy and Sociology (if it isn't the 'soft' A-level alongside 2 or 3 strong ones)

Personally offended by people who have mention politics, I think Government & Politics and History make a great combo at A-Level

People complaining about finding their A-levels easy are just as pathetic as people who constantly whinge about about how hard they find them. Get a grip and count yourself lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by constantino_chr

Personally offended by people who have mention politics, I think Government & Politics and History make a great combo at A-Level

People complaining about finding their A-levels easy are just as pathetic as people who constantly whinge about about how hard they find them. Get a grip and count yourself lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I'm taking both Politics and History ATM and can tell you now that they are hardly similar.

Politics AS is a joke. There are two papers, unit 1 and unit 2. Unit 1 has practically gcse material (I'd expect EVERYONE to know what policies labour and conservatives stand for before they vote for example), not to mention you only have to answer 2 questions in the paper out of four topics (meaning you could blast through half the year on that unit). The boundaries are so low that sometimes it can be 60/80 for 100 UMS. As someone who "was" passionate about Politics before starting I think the course is incredibly patronising and designed for those who know absolutely nothing about Politics (which everyone should anyway). Unit 2 perhaps is a bit harder but even still it's daft to say it is hard compared to other subjects like maths etc.

A2 might be different, but that's my experience so far on the course. I might as well be twiddling my thumbs. If I could turn back the clock I wish I'd picked Physics or something actually useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. A-levels should be made more difficult.
Reply 146
Psychology. Not because it's easy, just because the teachers have all the time in the world to teach it and are so lazy. Our one has been teaching the same lessons for 20 years and has 4 classes he has to teach the same material to every day :-/
Original post by MrJAKEE
Really? I'm taking both Politics and History ATM and can tell you now that they are hardly similar.

Politics AS is a joke. There are two papers, unit 1 and unit 2. Unit 1 has practically gcse material (I'd expect EVERYONE to know what policies labour and conservatives stand for before they vote for example), not to mention you only have to answer 2 questions in the paper out of four topics (meaning you could blast through half the year on that unit). The boundaries are so low that sometimes it can be 60/80 for 100 UMS. As someone who "was" passionate about Politics before starting I think the course is incredibly patronising and designed for those who know absolutely nothing about Politics (which everyone should anyway). Unit 2 perhaps is a bit harder but even still it's daft to say it is hard compared to other subjects like maths etc.

A2 might be different, but that's my experience so far on the course. I might as well be twiddling my thumbs. If I could turn back the clock I wish I'd picked Physics or something actually useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've read through the A2 spec and it is much more interesting and complex as it's based around international relations.

I disagree with you saying Politics isn't useful but it depends on your degree choice. Plus Physics bores the hell out of me
(edited 9 years ago)
I study Maths, French, Biology and English Literature. None of my subjects are "easy" and I actually take offence at anyone who says any A-Levels are easy. I worked hard for my GCSE results and I'm working even harder now for my A-Levels but some people don't have the intellectual capability that everyone on this website seems to have. So, for everyone saying A-Levels are easy, how about you just "not do them" and go straight to university? And you can personally email me your 100% A* grades at the end of year 13.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrJAKEE
Politics by far. I'm saddened to have even picked it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MrJAKEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though I'm biased as I want to study Politics at A level, I completely disagree.

You might think that it is common sense to know about Parliament, the electoral system, political parties but it really isn't. Many people don't have the resources and Politics is a great way to increase your awareness of the subject.

Personally, I think it should be incorporated into the national curriculum.

I have spoken to many people who all wish they had the option of studying Politics, I don't think it's fair that you say it's a silly subject.

Each to their own.

I disagree with you saying Politics isn't useful but it depends on your degree choice. Plus Physics bores the hell out of me

I suppose it does depend on your degree choice, but the point still stands, it's far too easy at AS. It certainly isn't the subject I bought into which would include debating/actual thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Circus Studies
Original post by charlenko
I study Maths, French, Biology and English Literature. None of my subjects are "easy" and I actually take offence at anyone who says any A-Levels are easy. I worked hard for my GCSE results and I'm working even harder now for my A-Levels but some people don't have the intellectual capability that everyone on this website seems to have. So, for everyone saying A-Levels are easy, how about you just "not do them" and go straight to university? And you can personally email me your 100% A* grades at the end of year 13.

Even if they should be more difficult, we need to take them in order to prove to universities that we are good candidates.
Anyway, just because they are easy doesn't mean it's easy to get 100% in all of them. It's very easy to lose a lot of marks to mistakes.
Original post by Olympiad
Though I'm biased as I want to study Politics at A level, I completely disagree.

You might think that it is common sense to know about Parliament, the electoral system, political parties but it really isn't. Many people don't have the resources and Politics is a great way to increase your awareness of the subject.

Personally, I think it should be incorporated into the national curriculum.

I have spoken to many people who all wish they had the option of studying Politics, I don't think it's fair that you say it's a silly subject.

Each to their own.

First of all, if you are even considering doing Politics at A level pick another A level of more credibility to unis. Philosophy, English, History whatever. It's so easy at AS you could sleep I reckon around 1/3 of your lessons and still scrape an A. That is if you are genuinely interested in the political system. I've found the majority of people who actually pick it (that I know off.. Not nationally) picked it because they wanted an easy A or they wanted a fresh start from their disastrous GCSES..
Of course if you want an easy A go for it.

Secondly, it should be about common sense about the electoral system + political parties and I completely agree with you that it should be incorporated into the national curriculum! (Gcse level). How can we expect the public to vote on issues they have no idea about?!?! It's absolutely outrageous that a large minority don't care how they are governed and either don't vote or vote ignorantly. That doesn't improve the political system whatsoever.

It's not a silly subject I bet at uni but at AS it certainly is... Prepare for complete boredom if you are currently interested in Politics if you are serious on taking it next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
First of all, if you are even considering doing Politics at A level pick another A level of more credibility to unis. Philosophy, English, History whatever. It's so easy at AS you could sleep I reckon around 1/3 of your lessons and still scrape an A. That is if you are genuinely interested in the political system. I've found the majority of people who actually pick it (that I know off.. Not nationally) picked it because they wanted an easy A or they wanted a fresh start from their disastrous GCSES..
Of course if you want an easy A go for it.

Secondly, it should be about common sense about the electoral system + political parties and I completely agree with you that it should be incorporated into the national curriculum! (Gcse level). How can we expect the public to vote on issues they have no idea about?!?! It's absolutely outrageous that a large minority don't care how they are governed and either don't vote or vote ignorantly. That doesn't improve the political system whatsoever.

It's not a silly subject I bet at uni but at AS it certainly is... Prepare for complete boredom if you are currently interested in Politics if you are serious on taking it next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've taken the AS, studying it at A2 this year. (edexcel)

I agree with the fact that AS politics is easier than other subjects, but I really don't think it is an easy A. It's also about the exam technique, essay structure etc and if that comes easy to you, you would probably find the subject simply. Unfortunately, it doesn't come easy to everybody.

I think by learning the theory and exam technique you could get a B. You need to have a genuine interest in politics, and therefore keeping up to date with the news to get an A.

I think, like you say you had an interest in the subject before, and so I think you would have done a lot of research prior to starting the course and therefore found it easy.

Although, I agree that I would have expected the AS to have been harder. I am finding A2 much more difficult.
Original post by Olympiad
I've taken the AS, studying it at A2 this year. (edexcel)

I agree with the fact that AS politics is easier than other subjects, but I really don't think it is an easy A. It's also about the exam technique, essay structure etc and if that comes easy to you, you would probably find the subject simply. Unfortunately, it doesn't come easy to everybody.

I think by learning the theory and exam technique you could get a B. You need to have a genuine interest in politics, and therefore keeping up to date with the news to get an A.

I think, like you say you had an interest in the subject before, and so I think you would have done a lot of research prior to starting the course and therefore found it easy.

Although, I agree that I would have expected the AS to have been harder. I am finding A2 much more difficult.

On my first essay I got 30/40... Equivalent to an A. A lot of it is technique I'd agree but when you look at something like History you'll realise that History is a lot lot lot more harder than Politics in terms of technique. Politics needs to be toughened up at AS, people shouldn't be asked ridiculously simple questions. It's effectively Gcse material. With grade boundaries like 60/80 for 100 UMS on unit 1 it doesn't say much for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I was extremely interested in politics pre-AS and doing the subject has only increased my political interest and awareness further; I am fascinated by the history of the executive, structure of Parliament and analysis of deflections and democracy

I feel the credibility of an A-level subject is defined by the people who choose it. For example, I think Business Studies has quite a practical curriculum but the people who choose it (at my school anyway) are lazy and lack passion as well as ambition. Those who are actually interested in that field tend to pick Economics and even then I am one of the few who actually does wider reading.

The same goes for Sociology, Psychology and unfortunately Politics too. My class is huge (26 people FFS!!!) and only ten are politically engaged, one idiot thought Thatcher was a Labour PM and another didn't know who the current PM was!!!

I also think there is nothing wrong with the mentioned subjects as long as they are 'soft' subjects alongside your facilitating subjects in order to improve your UMS. After all, it's better to have AAA in History, Maths and Politics then ABCC in Maths, F Maths, Physics and Chemistry. But I think A levels are wasted on the no-hopers who do Sociology, Media and Business when they have no interests besides FIFA and being a pervert.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by morgan8002
Even if they should be more difficult, we need to take them in order to prove to universities that we are good candidates.
Anyway, just because they are easy doesn't mean it's easy to get 100% in all of them. It's very easy to lose a lot of marks to mistakes.

Oh course it is, but that isn't the point of this post is it? The post is designed to undermine the hard work and efforts of anyone that has studied the subjects being slated by you "intellectually elite" students. Well sorry for that, we can't all be natural superstars.
Original post by MrJAKEE
On my first essay I got 30/40... Equivalent to an A. A lot of it is technique I'd agree but when you look at something like History you'll realise that History is a lot lot lot more harder than Politics in terms of technique. Politics needs to be toughened up at AS, people shouldn't be asked ridiculously simple questions. It's effectively Gcse material. With grade boundaries like 60/80 for 100 UMS on unit 1 it doesn't say much for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did History at AS, yes it was much harder.

Tbh, I think politics is one of those subjects that if you enjoy it: you will do well. If you don't, you won't. Hence why the grade boundaries are low, because a lot of people take it thinking that it is a super easy subject but don't have any interest in the subject content.

Also, I think one of the reasons why at AS it isn't as hard is because they want young people to be engaged in the subject.

I am looking forward to studying it at university though :biggrin:
Original post by Dylann
English Literature.

"The man was wearing a coat"

Teacher: The man is selfish and self-obsessed and only looks out for himself. The coat is a metaphor for a shield of his dark soul.

Author: It was ****ing raining so he wore a coat.

Quality hahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest