The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 789tom789
Wow that confused me haha, but cool

I don't even know what it means ahaha
Any one got offers from Loughborough or Sheffield
Original post by Skill Twix
I bet I'd be the first Economist not interested in Investment Banking!I'd really love to work with the government!
Well I hope I do get a Warwick offer!It is my best uni!

Haha you're a rare species haha, good luck with Warwick!! :smile:
Original post by Skill Twix
I bet I'd be the first Economist not interested in Investment Banking!I'd really love to work with the government!
Well I hope I do get a Warwick offer!It is my best uni!

Nah I'm not interested in IB, it's a declining industry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Nah I'm not interested in IB, it's a declining industry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

But them Starting Salaries Tho.
Original post by mayowapops

True but it's not all about money, I'd love to be a financial/economic journalist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mayowapops

I saw an article that said if you take into account the amount of hours worked, the hourly wage is less than McDonald's :K:

I guess there's bonuses and that but you'd have to deal with the constant stress and low job security... most don't make it past two years.
why do people think ib is declining? I'm not well versed on this but i'd have thought age old institutions like Goldman would diversify their services in order to survive? one financial crisis doesn't ruin an industry but idk
Original post by jchap9776
why do people think ib is declining? I'm not well versed on this but i'd have thought age old institutions like Goldman would diversify their services in order to survive? one financial crisis doesn't ruin an industry but idk

Nah I know of people who've had to leave the industry in recent years, its hay day appears to be over imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Nah I know of people who've had to leave the industry in recent years, its hay day appears to be over imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

true, I guess as an industry it expands in a bull market and contracts in a bear
Reply 2530
Ah fair, a gap year at ibm would defo look good! Yeah it's nice to discuss this option, I think you should fancy your chances with 4A*s at a-level it would be a joke to not let you in, I'm defo gonna work hard to get the best grades just so I have the option of reapplying. My problem is that my grades were pretty good but my interview wasn't great, so there's always the chance of it not going my way again. Your mate is a g!! 😎 I guess my underlying thought is that if going somewhere like UCL will get me into the career I want, I might aswell just go there but forgoing the once in a lifetime experience of Oxbridge would be depressing, but I guess student life in London would be so sick aswell

If you were good enough to be called for interview this year then I'm sure you'll be good enough to get one if you reapplied, which would give you the chance to learn from this years experience and perform better next year. I'm sure you're more than capable of getting further next year man so it could be worth a shot in your case. Loooooool my mate is living the life, his IG is full of fancy restaurants and views from Canary Wharf. You're right about UCL tho. I guess we're really similar in that we both know UCL would be great but we don't want to miss out on Oxbridge, but then again we know London social life would be maaaaad 😂
Original post by fha96
If you were good enough to be called for interview this year then I'm sure you'll be good enough to get one if you reapplied, which would give you the chance to learn from this years experience and perform better next year. I'm sure you're more than capable of getting further next year man so it could be worth a shot in your case. Loooooool my mate is living the life, his IG is full of fancy restaurants and views from Canary Wharf. You're right about UCL tho. I guess we're really similar in that we both know UCL would be great but we don't want to miss out on Oxbridge, but then again we know London social life would be maaaaad 😂

Cheers dude it probs is worth a shot but idk, that life sounds so sick! Mate you've summed us up in a sentence 😂😂😂 tbh, it's the London life that I probs just won't be able to resist ngl 🍻
Reply 2532
Cheers dude it probs is worth a shot but idk, that life sounds so sick! Mate you've summed us up in a sentence tbh, it's the London life that I probs just won't be able to resist ngl

Hi lads,

In exactly the same position. Rejected from Oxford, and now considering gap year + US application if i get 3A*'s

Is it even possible for candidates to take a gap year and then go to America?
Reply 2533
Anybody know roughly when I should expect to hear back from UCL by, given that I applied on 20th October?
Original post by ndhala
Hi lads,

In exactly the same position. Rejected from Oxford, and now considering gap year + US application if i get 3A*'s

I don't think taking a gap year is an issue when applying to the US but I'm not 100% on that - would be surprised if not. What US unis are you thinking? Guess the thing with a US application is you need the personality extracurriculars etc. but I mean, I myself would absolutely be buzzing to go to somewhere like Harvard, but it's the fact it's a 4 year long course where 2 of which will be spent studying stuff I don't care about and then only in the final 2 would I be able to major in econ. I personally think the US is the best to go for a postgrad degree but obvs it depends what you wanna do. I've done a lot of thinking about the whole situation and tbh I think that if I don't get lse I'm just gonna go ucl because I don't personally wanna be hanging on for an offer that I may or may not get from Oxbridge...etc which may or may not leave me in a better situation career wise. Tbf this choice defo is a hard one and comes down to personal tastes and preferences :smile:
Original post by JPD96
Anybody know roughly when I should expect to hear back from UCL by, given that I applied on 20th October?

Mid jan/early February perhaps
Original post by JPD96

They have started sending out offers!! I got mine last week :smile:
Reply 2537
Original post by ndhala
Hi lads,

Out of curiosity, what were your stats and which college did you apply to? I don't see why there would be a problem with taking a gap year before applying to the US, but is it actually beneficial? With the crazy college fees you have to pay in advance there I'd expect my salary to go from 0-100 real quick after graduating
Reply 2538
Cheers dude it probs is worth a shot but idk, that life sounds so sick! Mate you've summed us up in a sentence tbh, it's the London life that I probs just won't be able to resist ngl

No worries g, and yeah London does sound amazing to live in. I'm not worried about the living costs tbh cos its all worth it in the end. The night life would be soooo sick tho. Surprisingly, LSE was recently voted the uni with the best nightlife in the UK lmao so there must be something special about London
Original post by fha96
No worries g, and yeah London does sound amazing to live in. I'm not worried about the living costs tbh cos its all worth it in the end. The night life would be soooo sick tho. Surprisingly, LSE was recently voted the uni with the best nightlife in the UK lmao so there must be something special about London

I'm exactly the same about London prices, yeah I saw that aswell actually haha. Think you basically have to join the AU for all the drinking and banter but I'd want to play for a football/hockey team anyway 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending