The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peachy23
Wow, that's awesome! Do you know around how many words you wrote? I think I may have written too much :/

I wrote 800 on one and 900 on the other. I don't think writing too much is a problem as long as you include everything like the tenses, can memorise it well enough, and don't go over the time limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I wrote 800 on one and 900 on the other. I don't think writing too much is a problem as long as you include everything like the tenses, can memorise it well enough, and don't go over the time limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! I wrote about 700 and had to cut down because my teacher told me it would be well over the time limit so I've had to reduce to less than 500 words :frown: Thanks for the help!
Wow! I wrote about 700 and had to cut down because my teacher told me it would be well over the time limit so I've had to reduce to less than 500 words :frown: Thanks for the help!

That number includes the unexpected questions BTW so 12 questions in total.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That number includes the unexpected questions BTW so 12 questions in total.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We might be doing something different then :/ I have to do 5 questions and an unexpected.
We might be doing something different then :/ I have to do 5 questions and an unexpected.

I did 6 and an unexpected. We had 6 questions which could be unexpected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 6 and an unexpected. We had 6 questions which could be unexpected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right :smile: we don't get told anything about the unexpected :/
Oh right :smile: we don't get told anything about the unexpected :/

Ohhh. That's harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gilo98
ahah, how dare you consider that maths might be boring!! :mmm:

Thats a shame :frown:

Currently further maths GCSE is alright a bit easy but It's a bit irritating that my current school makes you take D1 & D2 and to be honest whilst Decision is easier and probably gives better table results it's massively boring and maybe not as useful for going into a maths degree.

Original post by TVIO
Give CompSci a good think! It's the best subject (note: there may be some small bias as a Cambridge CS offer holder...). It's like the best bits of Maths and engineering.

I'm sure there is a lot of bias:smile:. and the best bits are probably subjective to you.
Ohhh. That's harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, too bad :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Astrtricks
Currently further maths GCSE is alright a bit easy but It's a bit irritating that my current school makes you take D1 & D2 and to be honest whilst Decision is easier and probably gives better table results it's massively boring and maybe not as useful for going into a maths degree.

Thats a shame, which course do you take? We do AQA's Certificate thingy where you can get an A* Distinction, i think it looks like this A^

Decision modules are funny because they are soo easier and simpler than stats and mechanics yet because they're so easy, UMS boundaries are fairly high which is important for Cambridge
Original post by Gilo98
Thats a shame, which course do you take? We do AQA's Certificate thingy where you can get an A* Distinction, i think it looks like this A^

Decision modules are funny because they are soo easier and simpler than stats and mechanics yet because they're so easy, UMS boundaries are fairly high which is important for Cambridge

Yeah it's the AQA one but A^* is only 80% which makes it pretty achievable and the only really new things in it are differentiation and matrices.

What maths stuff are you doing in school now? are you doing AS still.
Original post by Trihawk7

I did my B1 in November as a resit and got it back yesterday to find I got a high A :smile: Was really hoping for an A* but still, close enough :smile: Pretty chuffed. Resat it because in year 10 I did it but I didn't finish the paper :emo:

Well done :smile: How many exams for your maths GCSE do you have on your exam board?
Could I just ask anyone who's planning on taking Further Maths A Level, do you think it would be possible for someone who isn't naturally good at maths to take it and do well?
Could I just ask anyone who's planning on taking Further Maths A Level, do you think it would be possible for someone who isn't naturally good at maths to take it and do well?

Depend on your definition of naturally good really. Your probably best off asking this somewhere else as none of us have actually taken further maths. If your definition of naturally good is achieving top grades but finds it challenging in some parts then you might be ok but don't expect top grades. You'd also do well to ask your teacher as they'll know your ability the best.
Original post by Astrtricks
Depend on your definition of naturally good really. Your probably best off asking this somewhere else as none of us have actually taken further maths. If your definition of naturally good is achieving top grades but finds it challenging in some parts then you might be ok but don't expect top grades. You'd also do well to ask your teacher as they'll know your ability the best.

Thanks! I meant that I could get an A* in Maths but I'd probably have to work quite hard to get it. I'm also doing Further Maths GCSE so I guess that could help a bit but I'm seriously considering changing my A Level Options. I'll ask around though :smile:
There's only 2 people (w/out externals) in my year taking German for next year, I'm one of them :bl: Wie spasssssssss
Original post by sunday_morning
Well done :smile: How many exams for your maths GCSE do you have on your exam board?

4 unfortunately...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trihawk7
4 unfortunately...

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 hours 30 mins all combined.
Had such a stressy school-related evening. Hope all my fellow Year 11's are doing well :smile:

Latest