The Student Room Group

How's Your House Hunt Going?

Poll

Have you started looking for accommodation yet?

Hi guys!

So we're reaching the time of year where students start to look for accommodation, potentially this is the first time that you'll have been in this position as halls are given to you.

The NUS and many student unions around the country have been promoting a 'Don't Rent Yet!' campaign to stop landlords from pressuring students into renting.

Have you started looking for 2015/16 accommodation yet?

Have you been surprised by the rent per week?

Second/Third years or recent graduates, do you have any tips for others?

Personally, I've not had a great experience with housemates and neighbours this year, so I'm downsizing and moving in with someone from work. This means that my rent should be cheaper on the whole and it'll be a bit more cosy for over summer break. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking but I've not decided which city I'll be studying in so it's just seeing what's out there really. In Brighton I'm searching for future housemates whereas in Exeter I just wanna see where I could live.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm looking but I've not decided which city I'll be studying in so it's just seeing what's out there really. In Brighton I'm searching for future housemates whereas in Exeter I just wanna see where I could live.

I see from your signature that you did an MPhys & BA - did you drop out of the BA?
Original post by Roving Fish
I see from your signature that you did an MPhys & BA - did you drop out of the BA?

I dropped out of both and now I'm planning on going back to college to study animal management. Because I'm indecisive...
Havent looked in to accommodation too much yet, although when I have I've found it difficult to distinguish one place from another and what really makes it stand out. Hopefully visits will help. Received 4 offers so far so I'm getting there!
Reply 5
Most of the people I've talked to at uni (freshers) have already signed for houses next year. It made me panic, because back then I hadn't really got housemates let alone started looking for houses. I've had a quick look myself, rent isn't too bad (£55-100/wk depending on how far you want to be from Sheffield city centre).
Reply 6
Biggest tip I can give people for looking round houses is to take notes as you are going round! (even pictures if it isn't awkward!)
It sounds excessive but when you're looking at so many houses in such a short space of time all of the houses tend to merge into one.
If you can ask the tenants questions. The estat agents are salespeople they won't always tell you the negatives.
Signed about 2 months ago, because Sheffield uni is a horrible area for student housing and I'm part of a big group which makes it even worse. On the plus side we lucked out and got a great house. As for tips, rent is surprisingly similar for most places in the Sheffield uni area once you get down to it, realistically you're going to be paying in the £90-95 range after bills, not much less, not much more. Also use sky broadband because talktalk sucks.
Reply 9
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Surprised by how many people on here have signed contracts, I only know 1 person at uni that has done that so far. Me and my friends are gonna start looking once exams are over
Anybody house hunting in London?
My tips- ask the current tenants about the landlord/agents. Try and go with a private landlord if you can to cut out the agency fees- I've never had to pay any. Look out for mould.
If you're trying to choose between a few different places, make pros and cons lists. They're really useful :smile:
Terrible. All my friends have left and got a house without me and none of the houses are close enough to the bus route to campus I need. I will be a dreaded second year in accommodation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flauta
Surprised by how many people on here have signed contracts, I only know 1 person at uni that has done that so far. Me and my friends are gonna start looking once exams are over

For some uni's the pressure to sign comes a lot earlier, especially when looking for 5+ bedrooms, e.g. I know of two fairly large companies renting out roughly 300 rooms each in groups of 6-8 and they had rented everything out by mid November.

Original post by xMissDebby
Terrible. All my friends have left and got a house without me and none of the houses are close enough to the bus route to campus I need. I will be a dreaded second year in accommodation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a look at studios and one beds, a lot of the time they come to a similar cost as student housing (or less if you don't rent during the summer). And while being a second year in halls is a bit odd, you'll make some new friends out of it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Helloworld_95
For some uni's the pressure to sign comes a lot earlier, especially when looking for 5+ bedrooms, e.g. I know of two fairly large companies renting out roughly 300 rooms each in groups of 6-8 and they had rented everything out by mid November.

Had no idea Sheffield was that bad, in Nottingham second and third years told me it was fine to do it even as late as summer.
We've had a mad rush in my house today as we've got people coming to look at it for next year.

That was quite a shock because the landlord messaged us only earlier to say 11am tomorrow.

CLEAN HOUSE WIN THOUGH@! :biggrin:
I'm currently looking for houses at Cheltenham as I am studying at university of Gloucester, and I am finding house hunting a nightmare is there any advise anyone can give me? Thanks
Best thing I can suggest is make damn sure that you are happy to live with all the people you plan to share with. Friendship groups change a lot in second year, can think of so many people I know who signed a contract far too early and when they actually got to move in, they couldn't wait to move out.

If some of your friends already have a tenancy try and find a place near them. We had everyone living in the same few roads and it was great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending